Could you help me out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowkeyme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just registered the SDN so that I can know more about the pod application process.
My whole family moved to Taiwan in 2004 and I did all my education here. I'm about to get my DPT in National Yang-Ming University (all health-related programs are undergraduate level in TW, but takes 2 more years than normal bacs), and plan to apply DPMs in 2022/8.
I got my current credits evaluated by WES, and my GPA is 3.51. Still preparing for MCAT, planning of taking it in 2022/5.

I have a few questions and, apologies in advance, they might be trivial:
1. About prerequisites, aacpmas says that they have to be designed for health professional students, so does this mean if I take courses from non-medical programs, they won't count as prereqs? I still lack 2 credits for each chem, Ochem, physics and bio.
2. The WES evaluation gave Us and Ls on my courses. Will it be a problem if my prereq credits are Ls?
3. Does physiology, anatomy, clinical pharmacology and radiology count as prereqs? Not sure if mailing my current transcript to admissions and asking whether they count is OK.
4. What counts as science faculty in LOR? Most of the professors I know teach PT, are they science faculty?
5. Is shadowing a US podiatrist mandated? We don't have pods in Taiwan, the closest thing I can get is an ankle foot orhtopedic in private clinics cuz hospitals don't allow shadowing. I will shadow one in the states (still arranging it, will do so in my summer vacation) but I'm afraid that the length wouldn't be enough.

Thank you, even for just reading this thread!

Members don't see this ad.

1. About prerequisites, aacpmas says that they have to be designed for health professional students, so does this mean if I take courses from non-medical programs, they won't count as prereqs? I still lack 2 credits for each chem, Ochem, physics and bio.

- You should email a school that you are interested in and see what their opinion is.

2. The WES evaluation gave Us and Ls on my courses. Will it be a problem if my prereq credits are Ls?
- I am not familiar with the WES evaluation so email a school's admission office and see what their opinion is.

3. Does physiology, anatomy, clinical pharmacology and radiology count as prereqs? Not sure if mailing my current transcript to admissions and asking whether they count is OK.
- It's fine to ask the admissions, but if you can, scan it, and send it to them via a PDF since USPS is heavily delayed.

4. What counts as science faculty in LOR? Most of the professors I know teach PT, are they science faculty?
- They should count. Call/email an admission's office for confirmation.

5. Is shadowing a US podiatrist mandated? We don't have pods in Taiwan, the closest thing I can get is an ankle foot orhtopedic in private clinics cuz hospitals don't allow shadowing. I will shadow one in the states (still arranging it, will do so in my summer vacation) but I'm afraid that the length wouldn't be enough.
- You only need about 10-20 hours to shadow a podiatrist. I would shadow an ankle/foot ortho in Taiwan and then consult with a school's admission's office on what to do.

If you have any other questions, just reply to this thread or private message me. Best wishes.
Thank you!