could parents be dependents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the only child in the family, and naturally have to be responsible for my parents' well being. I am not expecting to be married and have kids when I go on active duty, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I am the only child in the family, and naturally have to be responsible for my parents' well being. I am not expecting to be married and have kids when I go on active duty, though.

I think its possible.......When I was overseas there was chief or Lt's who took care of his dad....possibly his dependent.... just ask.

It is possible, but I believe you have to be a primary source of support for them, ie you pay their rent, they are unable to work, etc.

Hell yes it's possible. check with finance. I think it used to be something like 75% of the family member's support or something like that.

Pull up some of the soldiers numbers on the electronic medical record sometimes and see how many people are being carried as a dependent. Wait till they wipe out DADT and see how many jump on after that.

You're going to get freaked out, then you'll get pissed at how many people are being carried. uncles, aunts, grand kids.

You might as well get in on it, everybody else is.