Single parent and residency at Walter reed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownie384

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Is there anyone who is or who knows someone who has done a dental residency at Walter Reed who is/was a single parent while in training?
I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone has in regards to this.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do my residency at Walter Reed but I did do a two year residency as a single parent and have been in the army for 6 years (4 duty stations) as a single parent. It's doable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do my residency at Walter Reed but I did do a two year residency as a single parent and have been in the army for 6 years (4 duty stations) as a single parent. It's doable.
That is very encouraging and very impressive that you've been able to do that!

What are your specific questions?
What others have found to work well for their situation in regards to child care, what child care facilities worked well for those who are in a residency and are/were able to handle varied hours, juggling school and being present in your child's life. Where ppl lived and how it worked out for the family and the commute. What other ways besides child care facilities have ppl used that worked well for them such as Au Pair, nanny, etc.

I'm not sure if the hours are different or how old your child is. Most of the CDC's and SAC's on Army posts are open 0545-1800. I actually did the comp program. My daughter was 2 when I started. I had to be on call on a rotating basis. It was a busy post so I flew my mom in every time I had to be on call. When I had to go in on the weekends to do lab work, I hired a babysitter. Same thing with after hours events. I think you'll be fine in the OFP program. In the Army, I've always found that a lot of the male dentists have wives that are SAHMs that are always willing to help out.