Could I Match? (thanks in advance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgabes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there...I'm an MS-III at a pretty good medical school who in all honesty has prob underachieved academically these past 2 years-ie avg to below avg grades (albeit at good school), Step I 190- although I have a couple of research projects under my belt (in fam med...still waiting on publication status) and have also been contending with an ailing father (terminal cancer). I'm pretty confident I can get up Step II up pretty substantially (I've always done well on standardized tests ie MCAT 34 and def find myself more engaged in clinical curriculum) and I was hoping someone could offer feedback regarding whether I could still make myself a competitive applicant (albeit for a community program) and what I should be aiming for (ie step II score) in hopes of matching somewhere (again i'm realistic so good community program would be fine).

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like no one is responding to you. I'm no expert but based on some of the stuff written on here (step 1 230 +, honors, AOA), a 190 is not going to cut it. But I would try my hardest to get to know your program director at your school and show them your stuff. That's probably your best bet.

bgabes said:
Hi there...I'm an MS-III at a pretty good medical school who in all honesty has prob underachieved academically these past 2 years-ie avg to below avg grades (albeit at good school), Step I 190- although I have a couple of research projects under my belt (in fam med...still waiting on publication status) and have also been contending with an ailing father (terminal cancer). I'm pretty confident I can get up Step II up pretty substantially (I've always done well on standardized tests ie MCAT 34 and def find myself more engaged in clinical curriculum) and I was hoping someone could offer feedback regarding whether I could still make myself a competitive applicant (albeit for a community program) and what I should be aiming for (ie step II score) in hopes of matching somewhere (again i'm realistic so good community program would be fine).

Thanks in advance,

Brian

With a Step 1 score of 190, you should make a strong effort to do better on Step 2. Take the test early so that you can do well and then release the scores so that programs see that you have improved.

Work hard in other areas as well. Buff up your volunteer and research experiences and do well in your clinical rotations.

A 190 does not put you out of the running, but unless you do better on Step 2, and beef up other parts of your application you should apply broadly and be realistic about the programs you apply to.

That being said, if rads is what you really want to do, you have to give it a try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get above average grades during third year, show improvement on step 2, and you will match somewhere.

The competitiveness of rads is greatly exaggerated. Sure it's intense at the top programs, but theres around 1000 spots available.

don't give up hope... my best friend matched in a community program last year after failing the boards, average the second time around. she may not be in the city she wants to be in but she got in to radiology and she's happy. after hearing about all those people that didn't match she was very happy to have matched at all. this may not be the norm and may be just an unusual case, but if you want it bad enough...

I too, scored horribly in step 1 (<200)

But...
- I've been HPing all my clerkships so far.. (slightly above AVG. i'm thinking)
- Will take Step2 early (end of July) and kick some A$$
- Will be applying to 100+ community programs (Don't care if I end up in W. Virginia as long as I can practice radiology.
- Got great LORs
- Doing radiology research for a program director (coming in at 5AM... researching until 7AM (when i have to see my patients) - Yes.. during my rotation.
- Probably going to do away rotations at local community programs.

Hopefully, this will get me in somewhere.

I'm going to work as though my life depended on it, or I"ll see you on the other side. :)

Nice to read posts like this without someone with 240+ on step 1, AOA and asking "will I get in?".

Good luck, RadsHopeful. Keep the work ethics.

:)

RadsHopeful said:
I too, scored horribly in step 1 (<200)

But...
- I've been HPing all my clerkships so far.. (slightly above AVG. i'm thinking)
- Will take Step2 early (end of July) and kick some A$$
- Will be applying to 100+ community programs (Don't care if I end up in W. Virginia as long as I can practice radiology.
- Got great LORs
- Doing radiology research for a program director (coming in at 5AM... researching until 7AM (when i have to see my patients) - Yes.. during my rotation.
- Probably going to do away rotations at local community programs.

Hopefully, this will get me in somewhere.

I'm going to work as though my life depended on it, or I"ll see you on the other side. :)