Cost of pharmacy application..OMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd-08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, it seems that everyone in this forum is too pre-occupied with the grade-related issues regarding pharmacy school. I just want to bring up another depressing side of pharmacy application.
This week is the time to pay all those credit card bills, OMG how I just realized I have spent enormous amount of money in this whole process.
Just want to share my expenses so far here :
-July TOEFL : $110
-PharmCAS : $435 for 10 schools application
-Suppl. application : average $50 for each school, so let's say $500
-Oct 2003 PCAT : $69
-PCAT prep supply : $35
-Postal services for suppl. apps: approx. $ 20
-Ticket for interview to Iowa : free..using dad's mileage:p
-Two nights hotel stay via Hotwire: $112
-Ticket for interview to Ohio : $253
-Staying in Columbus : free...at friend's place..yay!
-Ticket for interview to Florida : $297--cancelled and received credit $197= $100 spent
-Ticket for interview to Midwestern AZ : $252--cancelled and received credit $152 = $100 spent
-Haircut before interview: $25
Rough total so far: $ 1,759

:eek:

FYI ...I'm considering myself very lucky, I got accepted quite early at first two interviews. I can't imagine how the cost would swell if I have to go to all ten places.....
Anyway, just an insight to prepare you guys who will go to battlefield next year....

For those of you who are at the same boat, comparing and contrasing are welcome :p

Members don't see this ad.

yes, I will be on the same boat for next year's application. I live in CA but I am willing to go ANYWHERE that accepts me. I have ALL of CA applied to, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii, Washington, New York, Florida, New Mexico, Mass., just to name a few.

I know my dad would love to go to Vegas with me. haha. But damn, I didn't think I would go over $2,000 but now that I see your breakdown, I could totally see it. Thank God for Southwest airlines and their free ticket for every 3 round trip flights u buy.

Originally posted by pharmd-08
-July TOEFL : $110
-PharmCAS : $435 for 10 schools application
-Suppl. application : average $50 for each school, so let's say $500
-Oct 2003 PCAT : $69
-PCAT prep supply : $35
-Postal services for suppl. apps: approx. $ 20
-Ticket for interview to Iowa : free..using dad's mileage:p
-Two nights hotel stay via Hotwire: $112
-Ticket for interview to Ohio : $253
-Staying in Columbus : free...at friend's place..yay!
-Ticket for interview to Florida : $297--cancelled and received credit $197= $100 spent
-Ticket for interview to Midwestern AZ : $252--cancelled and received credit $152 = $100 spent
-Haircut before interview: $25
Rough total so far: $ 1,759

:eek:

-Doing the happy dance when you open that first acceptance letter: priceless!
sorry, couldn't resist :)

Don't forget about the deposits (not fully refundable) that you have to put down at second choice schools when you haven't heard from your first choice yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by karmapatroL

karmapatrol: hahahaha...i knew it someone would do that...

Anyway, it's true, when I started the application process, I was so determined to do whatever it takes, to spend any amount of money needed. But you know, as an imperfect being when I get what I wanted, then I'll find something else to b!t&h about.

It helps a lot to keep in mind that this is a long term investment. Someday all of these dollars spent are going to be worth it.

Originally posted by pharmd-08
Originally posted by karmapatroL

karmapatrol: hahahaha...i knew it someone would do that...

Anyway, it's true, when I started the application process, I was so determined to do whatever it takes, to spend any amount of money needed. But you know, as an imperfect being when I get what I wanted, then I'll find something else to b!t&h about.

It helps a lot to keep in mind that this is a long term investment. Someday all of these dollars spent are going to be worth it.

Consider it money well spent. It's an investment to your future

Agree with South-the thousands of dollars that you will spend in the next few years will hopefully pale in comparison to the feeling of job satisfation you will have when you get out into practice.

That, and $1800 wasn't even HALF of what my fiancee brought home on her paycheck for 2 weeks. I wish all my investments paid off this nicely.

Making $90K a year, working 40 hours a week, and just signing your name on a piece of paper/answering calls....priceless(errr..90k).

J/k :D :D :D

I would really rather not think about how much $$ I have spent... I am sure it has come to at least $2000. And this is only for applications at 5 schools! Part of the $2000 is a non-refundable $800 deposit I am paying at a 2nd choice school.

I honestly don't think I could afford it if I were not working full-time right now!

Shannon

Shucks, since we are talking about application costs, I think I spent tooooooooo much however at the end knowing that I got accepted, it surely does feel good that the money was well spent (well, sort of).

Here's the breakdown:

MCAT (twice): $360.00
MCAT Books & Exams: $400.00
Med Apps (3 schools): $230.00
Med Supps: $150.00
Med Interview Trips (Hotel, rental car, etc.): $900.00
Med Deposit: $1,000.00
Chiro Apps & Trip (1 school): $500.00
GMAT Prep & Exam: $300.00
Business School App (1 school): $50.00
Pharmcas App (1 school): $125.00
Pharm Supp: $50.00
Pharm Deposit: $500.00
Transcripts for ALL: $50.00

TOTAL COST: $4,615.00

I have a friend who spent over $8,000 applying and interviewing at several medical schools. He ended up getting into his first choice school...5 minutes from his house.

I only spent $400 on the whole process and I got into my first choice.

All depends on how the cards fall.