Cost of books + equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruffryder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know the price of tuition at most Irish Universities is around 25K euros, but does anyone know how much the cost of books and equipment are? Basically I want to know how much I'll be spending on education total.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who even has an estimate of how much it costs for textbooks and equipment, can you please let me know? It's kind of urgent.. Thanks!

ruffryder said:
Hi,

I know the price of tuition at most Irish Universities is around 25K euros, but does anyone know how much the cost of books and equipment are? Basically I want to know how much I'll be spending on education total.

Thanks!

ruffryder said:
Anyone who even has an estimate of how much it costs for textbooks and equipment, can you please let me know? It's kind of urgent.. Thanks!

Cost of books and equipment is kind of hard to estimate - it varies from year to year and depends on if you can find used text books, and if you are the kind of person who likes to have two or three resources for each course (and like me, never opens any of them! :laugh: ). I would say for 1st year you are probably looking at about 250-300 euros for books. In second year at UCC you are supposed to get a stethoscope, and depending on what you decide to get this will set you back a few hundred dollars (don't buy in Ireland - Prices are way too high, better deals in Canada). I would say each year you should budget the 200-300 euro for books. Bring a couple of white coats from Canada - also better deals there - or the US, or wherever you are from. It;s got to be cheaper than buying them here. Really, you can spend more on all of this if you wish, but the basic text books and equipment are in this range.
Oh, for second year a tuning fork and a tendon hammer are nice too. They seem to have some kind of bias at UCC against the little red triangular ones you can put in your pocket, so we all bought telescoping round ones - easier to carry than the long handled variety and just as good. A sphig is also useful occasionally but buy a cheap one; it will get battered and bruised throughout the year, and you won't be using it beyond med school, inlike the stethoscope. Also get a case for the stethoscope - I know a number of people who's scopes have had traumatic injuries through being thrown into the bottom of rucksacks in white coat pockets (and then had books and groceries stuffed in on top). Hope this helps. Cheers,
M