Becoming an EU citizen to curb the cost of ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam M

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the cost is so ridiculous for Irish med schools, and I have a fair amount of Irish/Scottish blood in me, I was looking into becoming an EU citizen. I know that I can become an Irish citizen through my grandparents, but will this help with the cost?

In a thread I found from back in 04 someone briefly mentioned that if you apply as a non-EU student, you have to pay the remainder of your fees as a non-EU student even if you becoming a citizen (ex. in your 2nd year). Can anyone confirm this?

I would imagine they frown upon this, but I also would guess it doesn't happen very often. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking/searching for exactly the same issue but after all I think we are up a creek in that department. I read on some thread someone trying to find a legal avenue out of that but I don't know if anything has come of it. I also am a european citizen but haven't lived there. I think we should try and find more info. Even if we can be considered residents for 3 of the years before, maybe we could get Irish rates for the last few years.
alex

I was born in Ireland but went to school in Canada and hold an Irish passport but they base fees on where you resided in last five years, so getting EU passpot will not help your fees. The only benefit is that you can only do a residency or internship in Ireland after graduation if you hold an EU passport. This at least gives you a safety net abd is also worth doing for ease of travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will not change your fee status after you start

Ya that's pretty much what I figured.

jenl, do you have any sources that say that directly? I'm not doubting you, I was just wondering where you got that info from

I ask the direct question from the ABP and it it is in fine print in the agreement

I was born in Ireland but went to school in Canada and hold an Irish passport but they base fees on where you resided in last five years, so getting EU passpot will not help your fees. The only benefit is that you can only do a residency or internship in Ireland after graduation if you hold an EU passport. This at least gives you a safety net abd is also worth doing for ease of travel.

Another benefit: not having to line up at the Garda Siochana - immigration (Irish Police) office to get your non-EU visa stamped every year (that can take hours at a time).

A number of Canadians in my cohort had UK/Irish dual citizenship with Canada and it didn't help for fees one bit :(