Cosmetic Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clc8503

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys might think this is a dumb question, but is Cosmetic Podiatry lucrative? I’ve heard several women always complaining about how they hate their feet. I realize that a podiatry practice would probably not fair very well (financially) off solely doing cosmetics, but would it be a good idea to incorporate cosmetic options into a practice? I did a search on Google and surprisingly found several cosmetic DPMs. Are there any podiatry fellowships for this sort of thing? Does anybody know the kind of salary that a Cosmetic Podiatrist brings in? Thanks for reading. You don’t have to answer all my questions but some info regarding this would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

clc8503 said:
You guys might think this is a dumb question, but is Cosmetic Podiatry lucrative? I’ve heard several women always complaining about how they hate their feet. I realize that a podiatry practice would probably not fair very well (financially) off solely doing cosmetics, but would it be a good idea to incorporate cosmetic options into a practice? I did a search on Google and surprisingly found several cosmetic DPMs. Are there any podiatry fellowships for this sort of thing? Does anybody know the kind of salary that a Cosmetic Podiatrist brings in? Thanks for reading. You don’t have to answer all my questions but some info regarding this would be appreciated.

Hi,

The only one that I know of is in NYC her name is Dr. Suzanne Levine DPM. She went to NYCPM. She has an office with a plastic surgeon in Manhattan.

She is running a workshop in vegas a week or 2 after the ACFAS meeting to train DPMs in asthetic podiatry. It is called this because it is not all surgical, she does foot fascials, restalyne, sulptra... injections of the feet for various reasons.

She also charges a fee to anyone who wants to shadow her in her office. She has a website for the institute beaute.

Just remember if you decide to go this route all your patients would have to pay out of pocket because insurance covers bunion surgeries and the like because of pain not appearances.

also note that she makes millions of $ per year. She is also in Manhattan where there is a desire for these treatments.

I know that it has become very popular in California, for obvious reasons. From what I have read, those guys make a ton but there is a large number of pods who dont agree with the ethics. The argument is that we are here to prevent and cure pathologies of the lower extremity and to relieve patients of pain and discomfort, not help ladies fit into pointier shoes or to have the perfect shaped foot for the beach. Some also disagree with this because money seems to be the only motivating factor, rather than the desire to help people. Of course, the articles I read were biased toward this opinion. I personally dont have an opinion either way. If someone enjoys doing it and there is a market for it, great. Just consider the malpractice risks because I doubt that there is much of a "standard of care".

Members don't see this ad :)
clc8503 said:

I'm strongly against cosmetic foot surgery (other less invasive cosmetic procedures on the foot I can deal with). Foot/Ankle surgery should be done for the following reasons:
1) Pain, Infection, etc.....the typical reasons one of us would take a patient to the OR
2) A deformity prevents the patient from being shod/braced
3) A deformity prevents the patient from ambulating

There is a recent article in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery that gives the official stance on cosmetic foot surgery by the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society and they state that they are firmly against cosmetic foot surgery.

This issue is the same issue for all cosmetic procedures. Do women need double-d's? I enjoy them but they are not biomechanical important.

The market will stay small unless you are in NY, LA, Dallas, but there are a lot of states with limitations on what can be done; may states have major restrictions on podiatric surgeons.

I for one don't care. If you have the money and you are that insecure, get whatever you'd like. This is an issue that will not go not matter who comes out to support or chastise this practice.

clc8503 said:

Is cosmetic Podiatry lucrative? You bet! Especially in urban areas where there are large numbers of women with lots of time and $$$, wear high heels and want perfect looking feet. Although a podiatrists main job should be to deal with pathological issues of the feet, if there is anyone who pumps feet with restalyne or performs "foot facials" it should be a podiatrist, not an MD, and certainly not a pedicurist.

Hello, my name is maya, I’m researching co2 medical laser and very interested in hearing your opinion about it in the medical field, I read in websites such as www.mediclase.com that surgical laser reduces significantly surgical bleeding, pain and healing time and has greater accuracy, it seems they have very portable and small instruments comparing to what is being used in the market (http://www.mediclase.com/laser_surgery.asp) can you please comment on that, if you ever used it and know the benefits and price range.

mayama said:
Hello, my name is maya, I’m researching co2 medical laser and very interested in hearing your opinion about it in the medical field, I read in websites such as www.mediclase.com that surgical laser reduces significantly surgical bleeding, pain and healing time and has greater accuracy, it seems they have very portable and small instruments comparing to what is being used in the market (http://www.mediclase.com/laser_surgery.asp) can you please comment on that, if you ever used it and know the benefits and price range.

Although I have never used it or seen it used, I know that it was used by plastic surgery docs who would resurface skin blemishes and scars for cosmetic purposes since it works a lot better than microdermabrasion. I know that Derms are beginning to use this technology now for resurfacing blemishes.

I hear of some laser treatment done currently to reduce bleeding and increase healing time, but I was unaware that it was the same CO2 laser technology used for cosmetic purposes in the past. When I was going to take my cat to the Vet office to get declawed and neutered, they had this technology that they would charge extra for, but it supposively would increase healing time and reduce pain.

I guess I would be very interested in using this technology someday as a surgeon. I bet the cost will be cheaper in the future as more people will begin to use this.