% correct in qbank vs. % correct in step i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a correlation between the percentage correct in qbank and the percentage correct in step i? for example, what is a 70% qbank score equivalent to a 70% step i score? I've heard it thrown around that 70% qbank is at least a 220 step i score, but i was wondering how the 70% qbank score would relate to step i in terms of percentage correct. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
is there a correlation between the percentage correct in qbank and the percentage correct in step i? for example, what is a 70% qbank score equivalent to a 70% step i score? I've heard it thrown around that 70% qbank is at least a 220 step i score, but i was wondering how the 70% qbank score would relate to step i in terms of percentage correct. thanks.

I don't think you can correlant % right with Qbank and % you will get correct on Step 1. I finished Qbank with a 73% doing random blocks through the entire thing. After taking step 1 this past Monday I really don't feel that I got 73% correct on it.

Qbank and USMLE are two completely different things IMHO.

This has been discussed a million times. Do a search to see what people have said. In general: very difficult to correlate.

as I read sdn, it appears that almost everyone is breaking 230-240 on step 1 and over 70% on qbank. isn't there anyone out there that barely passes step 1?? If so, then what were you getting on q bank??

Members don't see this ad :)
ziffy 850 said:
as I read sdn, it appears that almost everyone is breaking 230-240 on step 1 and over 70% on qbank. isn't there anyone out there that barely passes step 1?? If so, then what were you getting on q bank??

68qbank, 245USMLE

You need around 55% on Qbank to pass Step I. I was averaging in mid-70's and got over 240.

Mumpu said:
You need around 55% on Qbank to pass Step I. I was averaging in mid-70's and got over 240.

Are you talking about overall (cumulative Q bank score) or the score you got on each individual test toward the end?

This is an often-discussed topic that is completely irrevelant on many levels. People do QBank at different times, different ways. No one knows what % correct is required for passing on Step I.

Suffice to say that getting "most" of QBank right the first time through will make passing Step I statistically likely. And that's about the best correlation I can make.

Just finished Qbank today with a 75% overall, doing all random tests. I had a low of 47% in cell biology and a 88% in Pharm/therapeutics. Anyways, I am interested to see how this correlates to the NBME exams. i have two weeks before the big test, and will prbaboly do the first one tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens.