Am I correct about shunt and dead space. Please correct me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrImg2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any defect in ventilation/perfusion leads to V/Q mismatch that leads to hypoxemia and alveolar hyperventilation and hypocapnia(Respiratory alkalosis). If the hypoxemia is not corrected, muscle fatigue and respiratory failure ensues. To correct the hypoxemia seen in V/Q mismatch, we can increase the FiO2 as long as the ventilation defect is not large enough to cause a shunt.

Dead space is when there is absolutely no perfusion. This leads to alveoli values of PAO2 = 150/PACO2 = 0mmHg. While I was reading online, it said there won't be hypoxemia in cause dead space but hypercapnia. Isn't dead space a V/Q mismatch and by definition a hypoxemic condition and how can there not be hypoxemia in dead space.

Please see if there are any holes in my understanding and help me fill it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If I can add one more point to this... since there will be hypoxemia(increased A - a gradient) in diffusion defect also(which is not V/Q mismatch), the arterial values will be the same as V/Q mismatch. How can we differentiate between the two? By DLCO? If not DLCO, is there anything else? Am I missing any key concept here or is my concept completely skewed? Does 100% oxygen correct hypoxemia in diffusion defect?