Controversial Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bchmcs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer at a clinic where we have a needle exchange program to prevent diseases related to drug-use. I'm aware that this issue can be controversial and people have strong views about this kind of practice. However, it's a cause I'm passionate about especially since I grew up in an area where drug use was very prevalent. I'm afraid that this won't appeal to some employers or residencies, or worst case, cause them to disregard my application entirely. I guess the same goes for other activities like working at places like planned parenthood, safe injection sites, etc. I've also been involved with this foundation for quite a while, so it would be disappointing to leave it off my list of extracurriculars. Do you think it's a good idea to not mention it at all? Am I overthinking things?

(Please try to refrain from political argument in the thread, constructive advice only please)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
List the clinic, but be cautious about how you describe the experience. If asked, start by describing the population you work with. Is pressed, I think it's okay to explain what you did and what you learned. As you said, try to avoid sounding opinionated about what is right or wrong. Avoid suggesting that what you did or didn't do might be controversial. The interviewers will care a lot more about your potential as a employee within their company culture and the level of critical thinking and flexibility you demonstrate. They should not be asking you controversial questions anyway or to defend or explain your beliefs. If they do, I would say that's a company you probably don't want to work for.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not really seeing how that would even be an issue in terms of getting a job or residency. Especially being that it is something that you have been involved in for a while. The longevity of it is a positive, the fact that you have something that you are passionate about is positive so.....?

If a residency or job site doesn't see the benefits of needle exchange do you really want to be part of that health care system's mentality? Do they not prescribe naloxone either?

Reactions: 2 users