Contact Multicultural Office Before Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enviromed21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people suggest that contacting the multicultural office of the medical schools you're applying to is a great idea to get your name and stats out there, and to also show your interest in the school. What do you guys think about that? Has anyone done this before, and was it beneficial or a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

I've also heard that works, but for some reason, I never got a chance to do it. I know that Vanderbilt makes their minority applicants interview with the dean of diversity in addition to their regular interview.

This is not a bad idea because sometimes you can take advantage of special programs (grants and scholarships) that can help you every step along the way. Most multicultural offices also can pair you with a mentor (faculty and other medical students) that can advise you or just have some fellowship along the way.

Multicultural offices (and Diversity Offices) vary from school to school. When I was a visiting medical student at Mayo Clinic, the Office of Diversity was quite helpful in helping me find housing and in navigating the system quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey njbmd. Do you know where you are going to be an attending yet? I remember you mentioning that you were applying to Maryland Shock Trauma.

I think I have been one of the proponents for contacting the Office of Diversity/Minority Affairs/Multicultural Affairs at medical schools.

I have found my own experiences to be quite beneficial to the admissions process. In some instances the offices helped me directly by pointing out things I could/should do to strengthen my application and in other cases suggested other schools that I should look into in addition to or besides theirs that would be a better fit for me.

In any event, it would not be a bad idea for you to contact them and allow them to give you some guidance as you go through the admissions process. Ideally, the earlier the better and once you do establish contact, be sure to keep the lines of communication open.

Good luck!!!:luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the great post!

How did you first contact them- email, letter? and who was it addressed to- the director of the office? How did you present yourself without seeming overbearing? I'm trying to avoid seeming like a pest :)

Did you give them your resume and let them critique you, or did you list out your stats? I'm preping for the 2008 cycle? Is it too late to contact schools now?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great post!

How did you first contact them- email, letter? and who was it addressed to- the director of the office? How did you present yourself without seeming overbearing? I'm trying to avoid seeming like a pest :)

Did you give them your resume and let them critique you, or did you list out your stats? I'm preping for the 2008 cycle? Is it too late to contact schools now?

Thanks!

I called them. I used the information in the MSAR and the Minority Student Opportunities (MSO) books from the AAMC and contacted those offices at the schools that I had even a slight interest in applying for admission.

The Directors or Deans were all receptive to the calls and follow up emails. It might very well be that you find out that one school helps you or gives you contacts at another.

I did not find or think that I was a pest. Maybe they had another impression of me though.:laugh:

These offices are there to help. Utilize every resource that is afforded to you.

:luck:

Hey njbmd. Do you know where you are going to be an attending yet? I remember you mentioning that you were applying to Maryland Shock Trauma.

Still not sure where I will be next year. When I land, everyone will know.

It's a great idea. Most times, there is a representative from the "Office of Minority Affairs" on the admissions committee.

And it's always helpful to have someone pulling for you in that meeting.

I called them. I used the information in the MSAR and the Minority Student Opportunities (MSO) books from the AAMC and contacted those offices at the schools that I had even a slight interest in applying for admission.

The Directors or Deans were all receptive to the calls and follow up emails. It might very well be that you find out that one school helps you or gives you contacts at another.

I did not find or think that I was a pest. Maybe they had another impression of me though.:laugh:

These offices are there to help. Utilize every resource that is afforded to you.

:luck:

Hey Jsnuka,

Following what enviro said, what do you do/talk/ask about when you contact them. I go to UF and wanted to contact the director of diversity esp since she is originally from Jamaica, like me. Would sending a resume to critique be too "in-your-face?" Just want some ideas one how to approach this. Thanks.

Doctajay,

I am not sure you remember me, but last year I posted a message on you SDN blog asking your advice about summer research opportunities. Anyways, I have been doing research in the same group from 2 years now (planning on continuing my senior year) and it been important to me. When you have been on interviews have your interviewers been interested in asking about your research or has your interviews been more based on personal experiences and your medical missions or 50/50?

This is not a bad idea because sometimes you can take advantage of special programs (grants and scholarships) that can help you every step along the way. Most multicultural offices also can pair you with a mentor (faculty and other medical students) that can advise you or just have some fellowship along the way.

Multicultural offices (and Diversity Offices) vary from school to school. When I was a visiting medical student at Mayo Clinic, the Office of Diversity was quite helpful in helping me find housing and in navigating the system quickly.

Love your blog. Hope you plan on continuing as time permits. One question, maybe I missed it, but are you planning on doing a fellowship in pediatric surgery?

every school I went to asked about my research. Now my research was just summer research, and probably not as continuous and thorough as yours, but they still asked and seemed interested. The more research intensive schools like Vanderbilt were more interested in my research, but at the most it was just a simple question like "tell me about your research". Interestingly, my interviewer at maryland who was a PHD asked me much more about my mission work than my research.

Hey Jsnuka,

Following what enviro said, what do you do/talk/ask about when you contact them. I go to UF and wanted to contact the director of diversity esp since she is originally from Jamaica, like me. Would sending a resume to critique be too "in-your-face?" Just want some ideas one how to approach this. Thanks.

Hey zippa, nice to hear from you!

I talked with them about my interest in their school and the nuances of my application/intended application to their institution. We went over numbers and stuff and they offered pointers on tweaks that I should consider or other bits of advice.

If/when you step the relationship up and arrange a time to meet with them in person, bring items with you e.g. resume, other things that would elucidate the type of applicant you are and how good a fit you would be for that school.

I would suggest that you try to see schools when and if you have the chance and if it fits your budget. It would help you to eliminate a school or embolden your love for it.

Sending a resume, cold, to someone is a bit much to me. Once you TALK to them on the phone, I am sure they will want to hear more about you and see more about the type of applicant that you are.

Good luck and keep us abreast of how things go!!!:luck:

Speaking of research, the interviewers want to see if you can adequately articulate what you did on the project and what you got out of the experience.

Don't stress over it. Check out the interview feedback reports on the schools you are interested in to see what the types of questions are like.

Just make sure you can articulate what you did and how it fits into the BIG picture of scientific knowledge.

I've heard some people suggest that contacting the multicultural office of the medical schools you're applying to is a great idea to get your name and stats out there, and to also show your interest in the school. What do you guys think about that? Has anyone done this before, and was it beneficial or a waste of time?

i think contacting the diversity offices is a big plus. most of my pre-med advisors told me to do it. i e-mailed the schools with my stats, mcat scores, etc and asked their opinion on what i should do during my year off and also if i was a competitive applicant at their school. if nothing else, it's really good to get your name out there early. i haven't heard back from some of the higher ranked schools, but most of the schools in my state and others ("lower-tier) have responded. make sure that you are very professional in the letter. (i.e. no :) or lots of !!!! ) because you won't want to come off unprofessional in the e-mail, IMO