Consolidation of all the HPSP threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaNugget79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First my question:
I was wondering if anyone knows what the HPSP stipend for this year is...I know 2002 was $1,131 (before taxes). But I just got what looks like a ~$50/month rise, which is great. Just wondering how much Uncle Sam is taking back tax wise. Thanks.

And because I am bored: To all the folks asking about HPSP in other threads, here's a couple of quick answers from my perspective:

Which Branch? Up to you. Army has tanks and Apaches and Paratroopers. Navy has water, big ass boats and Marines. Air Force crosses into the blue with its planes (obviously) and rumored to be the cushiest. They are affectionately known as the Chair Force by some. Which is the best? Depends on what you like. They are all the same in every other aspect. No branch is better than the other. And they all will deploy our pathetic hide-in-the-back Medical Officer butts. Doesn't matter if you wear green, white, or blue. No one deploys more than the other. And all fields go because all docs can be General Medical Officers. True, some specialties go more than others. But like it or not, WE WILL ALL GO. Just choose what branch best suits you. I chose Army because I can be closer to things blowing up and I want to jump out of planes.

Females in HPSP. Lots of females. Tons of them. Some are very attractive, some are very not. And from what I understand, same goes for the guys. No matter who or what your are, you won't feel alone. MDs and DOs are there. There was a HUGE amount of DOs in my OBC class. Every sex, race, idiot, and weirdo is well represented. Just look at your med school class and the proportion is roughly the same in every way.

Salary. Yes, it's less. Deal with it. You have no malpractice and no loans. Will you make much, much more outside for some specialties? Yes. Don't like the sound of that? Then don't join. You'll be miserable and angry and you'll make everyone around you miserable and angry just because they have to put up with you.

When to apply? When you're applying to med school. Army doesn't need an acceptance, not sure about others. Check other threads. No matter what, if you want to try, then try. If you really want it, chances are you'll eventually get it as long as you get an acceptance.

And for Bubba - Walter Reed is in DC. Brooke is in San Antonio. I'm pretty sure both has Pedes.

Biggest point - join if you want to be in the military. Not for the money. It won't be worth it if you're stuck in West Bubble Fart half way across the world with no amenities and a gas mask attached at your hip every second of the day.

So that's my perspective. In the end, we are all the same - Military Docs serving our country. For me, that can't be put into dollar amounts. Any questions, disagreements, comments, feel free to post or PM. I'm doing my FP rotation, so I have lots of free time. I propose we keep all HPSP ?s to just this one thread just so we don't have to go from thread to thread.

Out.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the helpful post. How much were you getting before taxes last year? Making my budget and would like to know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter gave me the number of an office he claimed that I could call and ask the stipend amount after taxes, I will have to dig around for it.

I found out the stipend is now $1185 before taxes. I'm getting about $1098 of that a month, so it's up about $50 from last year. I am a Virginia tax payer though, so yours might be more or less that much. I believe my buddy from PA is getting the same as me, give or take a couple of cents.

Thanks for the info. ARe you planning on taking an Army residency or deferring to the civilian match?

Army residency all the way. No question. It pays more, it counts toward retirement, and I love the military atmosphere. And I can go to flight surgeon school (if not during med school like I'm planning), jump school, and get my EFMB all during this time too.

One more thing about picking a servis, Army has the most residencies, then I think it's Navy followed by Air Force.

DaNugget, if you figure out how to get to airborne, air assault etc. while your are in school let me know because I was told that COL Raines is against it so as long as she's in charge of HPSP it's not a possibility.

PS. OBC is a lot of fun and a great break from school

You're right, Airborne/Air Assault will be impossible while we are in school, but Flight Surgeon school is very possible as long as you can work it out with your school. I hope to do Airborne during residency. Most say they will allow you to do all the schools you want during residency. But then again, that's what they say...

OBC was more fun than my last semester of college. Being paid was just bonus.

Originally posted by DaNugget79
You're right, Airborne/Air Assault will be impossible while we are in school, but Flight Surgeon school is very possible as long as you can work it out with your school. I hope to do Airborne during residency. Most say they will allow you to do all the schools you want during residency. But then again, that's what they say...

Remember that the ACGME has requirements for how many weeks you must do in residency. This may impact whether you can go or not. I would love to go to jump school, but from what I have heard that won't happen until after residency. Too bad, I could use my two months off to go!

Ed Madison

I am starting Dental School in a couple of weeks and have been giving some serious thought to applying for the Air Force Hpsp. I have already spoken to the recruiter and it seems that I have a really good chance at receiving the scholarship if I apply. I have gone through many of the previous posts concerning the HPSP and haven't found many posts concening others experiences with the AF in particular.I am hoping to find at least ONE person who has taken advantage of the AF dental HPSP program to ask a couple of questions in regards to their experiences while paying back their obligation. I am an Army vet so I am familiar with the Military "Experience".:rolleyes: Hence, the AF this time.:D Seriously though, I feel I am going into this with my eyes open (financially at least) because I realize that going this route vs. taking out $180,000 in loans is probably a wash.
I do have several reasons for considering going this route.

One of the largest would have to be travel. I was stationed in Germany in the early 90's and would absolutely love to return. What is the likelyhood of the happening? Are some countries harder to get stationed too than others? If stationed overseas what amount of time is required for a accompanied tour? Is it 36 months or 48 months? What is a normal daily schedule?? How about time off? While overseas any experiences with the DOD schools? Any other questions I should be asking???

From what I understand the one year of training available after graduation from school is excellent. Is it???? Are families allowed to accompany? How gruelling is this experience? What kind of hours? Any comments about the AEGD would be appreciated.

Thx
Doug

kdanderson,

The only info I can offer deals with the AF deployment schedule and overseas tours. The AF is on an 18 mon rotation where every 18 months you are "in the bucket" for possible deployment. As a medical officer, you will be assigned to a specific team that performs a specific duty. Although, some teams do seem to deploy more frequently than others. The CCAT (critical care) and surgical teams are pretty hot for deployment. The AF medical service is also keen on doing lots of humanitarian missions.

As far as overseas tours, there seems to be a trend for two or three year tours. These are accompanied. I believe that the only time AF has unaccompanied tours is during one's remote assignment which is generally between 9 and 18 months in duration. And yes, many people are assigned to Lakenheath in England, Ramstein (sometimes Landstuhl) in Germany, Aviano in Italy, and others worldwide. I have known lots of medical personnel to spend time in Japan, as well.

I hope that some of this info helps. As a dental student, you will probably spend time in San Antonio at Wilford Hall. I would suggest that you contact Colonel Mabry. He is a pediatric oral surgeon and is very approachable. He will be able to address your concerns in a knowledgeable and tactful manner. The number to Wilford Hall's info desk is (210) 292-7412. They should be able to give you specific contact info for Col Mabry.

Cyndi