Perkins Loans Consolidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonedrone14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm into the wonderful time of intern year of getting all my loans in order to be on a repayment plan. I've got my Staffords already into repaye and am looking at what to do with my Perkins now. I'll be paying 156 a month for my Stafford on repaye. I just got an email that I'll owe 190 a month for the Perkins if I leave them as is. I was looking into putting them on my repaye plan also and saw they needed to be consolidated. My Stafford loans have rates of 6.55, 5.16, 5.96 and 5.59. So am I right in assuming that the 5% would just be averaged among all of these?

Has anybody done this recently? I'm thinking that lumping them all together and making the smaller monthly payment now is what I'll need to do even if it ends up costing me a little more in the long run. I'm just looking for anyone else's experience with this.

Members don't see this ad.

When you consolidate the new loan's interest rate will be the weighted average of all the loans you consolidated, and then rounded up the nearest eighth of a percent.

When you consolidate the new loan's interest rate will be the weighted average of all the loans you consolidated, and then rounded up the nearest eighth of a percent.

I would consolidate the perkins and put them all on REPAYE, that way they're also eligible for PSLF. I'd also max out my 403b to reduce my monthly REPAYE payments and maximize the interest subsidy

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the same position. I was wondering, if I consolidate my subsidized direct loans, unsubsidized direct loans, and my Perkins loan into a consolidated federal loan, do I still get the same interest subsidy. Isn't it all just one loan? If I do this will I not get the higher interest subsidy in REPAYE on the subsidized loan portions?

I'm also in the same position. I was wondering, if I consolidate my subsidized direct loans, unsubsidized direct loans, and my Perkins loan into a consolidated federal loan, do I still get the same interest subsidy. Isn't it all just one loan? If I do this will I not get the higher interest subsidy in REPAYE on the subsidized loan portions?

The new consolidation loan is technically one loan but would have a subsidized and an unsubsidized portion. On my loan repayer website it lists them as if they're two separate loans.