Other Considering Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bazuka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

I am pretty sure many of you are in the same boat as me, I graduated 2 years ago, worked for CVS and recently joined a hospital system on the outpatient side. I am trying to transition into inpatient but...

I had a meeting with the inpatient team and they said right of the bat that I will have extremely hard time finding an inpatient job because the there are a lot of candidates with PGY1 also applying.

With that said, I met a residency director 2 months ago and he told me he gets a lot of applicants who are out there practicing but usually cannot make it because there is nothing exciting on their resume

My question for you all, if you have been like me, what did you all do differently especially after school that got you into a program?

I am not looking for anything really competitive. I don’t want to bore them with 2 years of CVS. Thats not relevant. Having just retail on resume will not be attractive for getting a residency. Need to have something solid and nice to be competitive. I didn’t have good grades either.

Thanks for feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, i'd try to at least grab a per-diem inpatient position while keeping your current job. If they like you and your work habits, they will most likely transition you to full-time once a position opens up. I've seen this happen. Even with part-timers moving into full-time once a full-time employee leaves, and then transitioning a part-time position to full-time and a per-diem into a part-time position. Of course this was only because these people wanted to get more hours otherwise all this wouldn't be possible.

I would definitely not take my chances with doing residency in your position. That's like cutting my salary in half for a year just to have PGY1 on my resume like thousands of other applicants and... worst case scenario: you can't find a job even with residency and now you can't even go back to the job you had before because its been filled while you were doing residency. Now what?
Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
All,

I am pretty sure many of you are in the same boat as me, I graduated 2 years ago, worked for CVS and recently joined a hospital system on the outpatient side. I am trying to transition into inpatient but...

I had a meeting with the inpatient team and they said right of the bat that I will have extremely hard time finding an inpatient job because the there are a lot of candidates with PGY1 also applying.

With that said, I met a residency director 2 months ago and he told me he gets a lot of applicants who are out there practicing but usually cannot make it because there is nothing exciting on their resume

My question for you all, if you have been like me, what did you all do differently especially after school that got you into a program?

I am not looking for anything really competitive. I don’t want to bore them with 2 years of CVS. Thats not relevant. Having just retail on resume will not be attractive for getting a residency. Need to have something solid and nice to be competitive. I didn’t have good grades either.

Thanks for feedback.

It really depends on what area of the country you're in. I agree with Rxkrafted - get a per diem inpatient job first. That'll give you enough experience to work your way into full time after a year or two; the rest depends on job openings. The vast majority of hospital staffing positions outside of metro areas do not require PGY 1, nor would I advise you on taking the paycut to get one if you don't want clinical work. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do per diems even hire from retail though? Who's gonna train someone from scratch to cover 1 shift a month??

Reactions: 1 user
Do per diems even hire from retail though? Who's gonna train someone from scratch to cover 1 shift a month??

yeah i've seen many per-diems get hired from retail but most of them were because of connections. i still think this suggestion would be better than to waste a year and gamble with getting re-hired anywhere again

Reactions: 1 user
A huge amount of per diem pharmacists in suburban hospitals come from retail.

Reactions: 1 users
A huge amount of per diem pharmacists in suburban hospitals come from retail.
Not anymore they’re not. Sure, there may be an exception here and there but when we are now feeling the brunt of jobless PGY-1 residency-trained grads hitting the market, expect all part-time and per diem positions to be going to those folks. It’s an arms race and retail pharmacists get the short end of the stick (which is getting even shorter by the minute).

Not anymore they’re not. Sure, there may be an exception here and there but when we are now feeling the brunt of jobless PGY-1 residency-trained grads hitting the market, expect all part-time and per diem positions to be going to those folks. It’s an arms race and retail pharmacists get the short end of the stick (which is getting even shorter by the minute).
Where do you work?