Considering career move..input is appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viewer68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not where i would like to be work-wise nor financially...and am trying to learn all the options i might have. I have a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. I read over and over how healthcare is the industry with the most demand and the best pay. I'd like to know what my best options are discipline and field wise. I'm 34 and I figure its pretty late to start a career that might take an additional 8+ plus years of education. I already have school debt of about 28k. I'm not against it, but I would definitely like feedback from those who know better. I'm not married and I don't have kids so i don't have that worry. Is it crazy for me to consider something of the sorts of anesthesiologist? Or CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist)? Is my BSBA basically useless if I wanted to pursue one of those fields? If I cannot go for one of those, does anyone have any input into what in healthcare would be a smart and lucrative field? I thought maybe Radiation Therapist or Medical Dosimetrist. Most of my experiences have always been in management and sales most of my career. Sick of sales and sick of not having one detailed specific profession. I'd like to have a goal in mind and a particular profession in mind if I do just settle on getting a Masters. And a masters in what? That would be based on the particular profession in mind I'm guessing. I would appreciate any advice/guidance in what type of field in healthcare would be best suited for someone like me. Demand and pay wise. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You're super late to the party. Your BSBA is pretty much useless other than you have a bachelors. Assuming you're the typical college grad at the age of ~22, any science class you did take will have "expired." If you're thinking of anesthesiologist then you would be spending ~2 years getting all the basic pre-reqs then med school. A lot of money and time. It won't be easy at all.

I think if the sole basis for moving into healthcare is for pay and potential higher chance at getting a job, then you should reconsider. I don't think you want your nurse or doctor to say to you "Oh I'm just here for the money." You should have more interest in healthcare other then a job and money.

The quickest turnover for you would be to get into a top notch MBA program. Crack open a GRE or GMAT test prep book and score very well. Go for an emphasis that interest you. Put those years of experience to work.

Last edited:
You're super late to the party.
That party doesn't end for a long time. Nearly every med school in the country has students over 40.
any science class you did take will have "expired."
Mostly false. Schools that expire prereqs are the exception, not the rule. But it's not likely there's any science on board here.

OP, see the nontrad forum for info on being older.

As for whether a medical field will be more fulfilling, get into a clinical setting as a volunteer, pay attention and ask a million questions. See if you can stomach the actual live context of patient care. Until you've done this, you have no rational basis for a claim of being interested in the practice of healthcare. If you want to be in the business of healthcare, look for a more relevant forum than this one.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/Field/1/Allied_Health_Professions

To get a feel for the jobs and degrees involved.

Then contact your local hospitals to shadow and volunteer with those fields that seem acceptable options, and see how comfortable you are with the realities.

After, if you are still set on make a reasonable choice about applying by researching pre-reqs, and get back to this forum or with advisors to talk about your options from there.

I know I'm late in having this in mind...but when you're 18...at least when i was 18 and left to the Marine Corp..I didn't really have much experience or knowledge in all the possible careers and opportunities. I get what you're saying though. Even though it's a little late I am trying to see what options I have and how best to use what I already have....and adding on top of that.

Thanks for your input

@ Dr. Midlife,
@ Alexrgross,

I had thought of starting to volunteer. I'm seeing that I have a lot more research to do in figuring this out. Thanks for your input