congrats and good luck this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Congrats and good luck to those who will be marticulating into school this fall. After much thought, I declined my acceptance and decided not to attend optometry school (I may reconsider my decision). I know everyone is preparing to relocate soon, so, I just wanted to wish everyone well before they start transitioning.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

What are you gonna do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by J.opt
What are you gonna do?

Right now, I'm working and we are in the process of expanding (hopefully, everything will go according to plan). My husband is a bit uneasy about optometry, especially after some things a bunch of practicing OD's (different settings) conveyed during my ongoing research (still ongoing-but the positives are overwhelmed by the negatives), and feels strongly that I should pursue medical school. Since we planned to pay for this ourselves (I would "pay" us back upon completing school), we agreed that I need to make sure that financially we can break even without excessive work hours (family time is important, so job options are dependent on flexibility), or substantial financial investment upon completing school. Optometry is a business and it takes time to build up a patient base. So, to make a long story short, I plan to quit working; return to school (either another master's or PhD) while I decide which professional route to pursue; and continue the expansions were pursuing. :)

Smart move rose not to attend optometry school. Strongly consider your husbands suggestion about medical school.
Medicine is also a business- BIG BUSINESS! It might not be retail but it also takes alot of work to built up your practice. Opportunities in finding jobs are much greater in medicine than optometry. Trust me on this! You'll be more marketable as an MD than a OD.

Good Luck on your journey.

RC

Do you want a life or a job that is your life. Optometry is a great profession if you want to have a family. You do not have to have your own practice - you can work for a chain for a good salary.

One of the reasons I became a dentist rather than pursuing medicine is that I wanted a life other than my job IMHO.

Originally posted by Reality check
Smart move rose not to attend optometry school. Strongly consider your husbands suggestion about medical school.
Medicine is also a business- BIG BUSINESS! It might not be retail but it also takes alot of work to built up your practice. Opportunities in finding jobs are much greater in medicine than optometry. Trust me on this! You'll be more marketable as an MD than a OD.

Good Luck on your journey.

RC

Yes, while medicine is big business (and just about everything else is as well), optometry is unique in that the vast majority of practitioners I have spoken with, as well as my research, indicates that an optometrist HAS to be a practitioner as well as a business person (independent contractor or small business owner). However, a physician can chose whether or not to work as an employee or a business person/entity because like you mentioned, medicine does have more optioins for work-preference. So what I mean is while business skills are a must for the vast majority of OD's, they're optional for physicians. Personally, I've decided that I am not interested in pulling double duty as a practitioner and small business person, nor in retail (most of the OD's I spoke to in retail are not employees anyway; they're independent contractors).

Thanks for your insight.

:)

Originally posted by DrRob
Do you want a life or a job that is your life. Optometry is a great profession if you want to have a family. You do not have to have your own practice - you can work for a chain for a good salary.

One of the reasons I became a dentist rather than pursuing medicine is that I wanted a life other than my job IMHO.

That may havebeen true in the past; I think it may be true for some, but not for many, especially in retail. Many of the (retail) OD's here I spoke with were working on the weekend, or in the evenings (when I'm off--that's when I'd go and meet with them). Also, many of the chains do not hire OD's as employees, but independent contractors. Also, one OD I spoke with who has a private practice saw patients on Saturdays; his rationale being that people are off on Saturdays, and they'll come if they don't have to work. You make a good point--my dentist NEVER works on weekends. :)