Commuting to NECO, good idea or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EJC93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to NECO and live about a 70 min commute from the school. I know it'll save a ton of money living at home (even for one year) rather than living in Boston. Are any NECO students currently doing this? I don't want to lose the chance to get to know my classmates better by not living in the same area, and am also dreading the idea of the commute... Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call. 70 minutes is a very long drive when you have to make it to an 8AM lecture or if you're leaving from the library at 10 PM after studying.
If you're set on this idea, I wouldn't recommend it for the first year...unless you learn well without going to lectures.

I agree 70 minutes is a long time and parking is not easy to find on beacon street. I remember when I interviewed at NECO many of the current students mentioned that having a car was a bad idea due to the difficulties you will face when parking. I think that the drive wouldn't be bad if you are really committed to waking up early and driving at late hours (should you stay back to study with classmates) but I feel that you will have trouble with parking. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps:)

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be staying up late studying and waking up early to study and doing some of the most intense studying you will ever do in your life. I would sell your car and go live next to school. It will be worth it! If you are that concerned with the added debt, then have you considered applying for a military scholarship? :)

They record most lectures so you can skip some days if you feel the need to.... just my two cents.

You will be staying up late studying and waking up early to study and doing some of the most intense studying you will ever do in your life. I would sell your car and go live next to school. It will be worth it! If you are that concerned with the added debt, then have you considered applying for a military scholarship? :)
I have thought of it, but I'm not sure if I would want to add on another 4 years before I can start my optometry career in the direction I want.

I was thinking about taking the train in.

If you are super disciplined and think you could get a lot of studying done while on the train, it may not be the end of the world.

What happens though if there's no seats available and you end up standing for a bunch of your commute?
What happens if the train is delayed or not running because of weather or other problems?

If it were me, I wouldn't do it.