confusing standardized tests!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

xxxTheDonxxx

Can you apply with your DAT scores instead of your MCAT score. I heard nyu accepts your DAT scores without looking at your PAT section for feet-school. I'm looking at both dentistry and podiatry, I will be taking the DAT soon. Most people take the MCAT? I'm currently a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill with a 3.6 GPA....what do I need to make on the standardize test to get into a podiatry school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for the school in san francisco, iowa, nyc, philly, and ohio accept the DAT. I took the DAT and will be starting in sf in aug. I know that nyc doesnt look at the perceptual cuz i talked to the dean. They mostly look at the science. To be honest with you, i dont think that any of the schools look at the perceptual because that has nothing to do with being a podiatrist in my opinion.

lafootdoc said:
I know for the school in san francisco, iowa, nyc, philly, and ohio accept the DAT. I took the DAT and will be starting in sf in aug. I know that nyc doesnt look at the perceptual cuz i talked to the dean. They mostly look at the science. To be honest with you, i dont think that any of the schools look at the perceptual because that has nothing to do with being a podiatrist in my opinion.

I don't know but at DMU the physical science part of the MCATs is very important. It doesn't seem like it is important to medicine but it is a good predictive factor to see if you can conceptualize abstract science.

I do not know if this is true for the DAT.

xxxTheDonxxx said:
Can you apply with your DAT scores instead of your MCAT score. I heard nyu accepts your DAT scores without looking at your PAT section for feet-school. I'm looking at both dentistry and podiatry, I will be taking the DAT soon. Most people take the MCAT? I'm currently a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill with a 3.6 GPA....what do I need to make on the standardize test to get into a podiatry school?

they will take just about anything... whether you were pre-med, pre-dent, pre-PhD... it's all good! You should be a sure-shot with that GPA. Avg gpa for matriculants is around 3.0. good luck!

billclinton said:
they will take just about anything... whether you were pre-med, pre-dent, pre-PhD... it's all good! You should be a sure-shot with that GPA. Avg gpa for matriculants is around 3.0. good luck!

I have read many of your posts in the pod forums. For the most part they are well-informed and at times entertaining, even the ones in which you attempt to put us down.

The fact is, most of your posts are in the pod forums. Do you wish you were a podiatrist? Come on, admit it!

JustMyLuck said:
I have read many of your posts in the pod forums. For the most part they are well-informed and at times entertaining, even the ones in which you attempt to put us down.

The fact is, most of your posts are in the pod forums. Do you wish you were a podiatrist? Come on, admit it!

well, most of my put-downs, i hope you only take as jokes. i really believe podiatry has it's niche... but some of the pod students on these forums are unaware of what their degree entails... a little out of touch with reality. most pods that i have met in realife are not like this at all... perhaps it is because they want referrals ;)

i am new to these forums. when i was scanning the forums (going to the bottom to look for a specific speciality) the first thread i saw that caught my eye was in podiatry. i have read many posts in other areas... but have not really had any need to comment except for here :)

if i wanted to be a pod... i probably would be keeping quiet and ignoring the arguments. :laugh: ...probably like most of the real pods are doing, unlike the pods students in that other thread.

billclinton said:

Bill I don't post much at all on these forums, but you are just too much. Average GPA of 3.0?! I'd love to know where you came up with that figure, but before I let you drag me into a debate about admissions standards I think I will address the question of the person who posted the original question. Do yourself a favor and take the MCAT. It is true that the DAT is often acceptable and in a few exceptions the GRE is okay if you are an exceptional applicant. The bottom line is that the AACPM has not created a standardized admissions test, due to the fact that there are available tests that will measure a students’ potential for success in podiatric medical school. I pity the person who has to work with a narcissist like Bill.

gustydoc said:
Bill I don't post much at all on these forums, but you are just too much. Average GPA of 3.0?! I'd love to know where you came up with that figure, but before I let you drag me into a debate about admissions standards I think I will address the question of the person who posted the original question. Do yourself a favor and take the MCAT. It is true that the DAT is often acceptable and in a few exceptions the GRE is okay if you are an exceptional applicant. The bottom line is that the AACPM has not created a standardized admissions test, due to the fact that there are available tests that will measure a students’ potential for success in podiatric medical school. I pity the person who has to work with a narcissist like Bill.

Bill probably found the statistic on the AACPM website:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/newpdfs/Matric Stats/Matriculant GPA AVERAGE.PDF
Just incase anyone cares. Average science is 3.0, overall is 3.2 for 2005 admissions, not including NY. Who gives a shi*?? the point here is that we are interested in feet, and regardless of the admissions, most people on this website are pursuing their interests. i agree with gustydoc, bill sounds like a less-than-pleasant person to be around, even if we shared his ideals! :D

lillytwig said:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/newpdfs/Matric Stats/Matriculant GPA AVERAGE.PDF
Just incase anyone cares. Average science is 3.0, overall is 3.2 for 2005 admissions, not including NY. Who gives a shi*?? the point here is that we are interested in feet, and regardless of the admissions, most people on this website are pursuing their interests. i agree with gustydoc, bill sounds like a less-than-pleasant person to be around, even if we shared his ideals! :D

well, you see. i wasn't making up the figure :) i was trying to provide helpful info here.

Short of coming up with a form of the DAT for pods admissions, I still think the Gold standard is the MCAT. It's the only medical admissions test and since podiatry is podiatric med school, shouldn't that be the test? Afterall the DAT is slanted towards dental students needs and we aren't too close to teeth by working on feet, are we? Perhaps a PDAT test, since PAT is pharmacy admissions I think.

At least the MCAT measures from the perspective of overall science ability, geared to the basic sciences, and therefore is closest to pods admsisions needs. It would help if an exam was used by ALL pod schools that was standard, not optional as is the case now.

You can't apply to med school with a Miller's Analogies Test, now can you? Of course not. Then why apply to pods with anything other than a medical admissions exam?

capo said:
Short of coming up with a form of the DAT for pods admissions, I still think the Gold standard is the MCAT. It's the only medical admissions test and since podiatry is podiatric med school, shouldn't that be the test? Afterall the DAT is slanted towards dental students needs and we aren't too close to teeth by working on feet, are we? Perhaps a PDAT test, since PAT is pharmacy admissions I think.

At least the MCAT measures from the perspective of overall science ability, geared to the basic sciences, and therefore is closest to pods admsisions needs. It would help if an exam was used by ALL pod schools that was standard, not optional as is the case now.

You can't apply to med school with a Miller's Analogies Test, now can you? Of course not. Then why apply to pods with anything other than a medical admissions exam?

I was just talking to someone about this. In 2007, the MCATs are going to computerized testing. The will be 19 test days, and therefore plenty of opportunity to take the test. This means schools will no longer accept DAT and GRE. The only reason they accept it now is b/c the MCATs are only offered twice a year and if you thought you wanted to be a dentist or didn't take the MCAT is time, they wanted to give there applicants options.

Members don't see this ad :)
lillytwig said:

Actually the first year that includes NY is 2005. NY was not part of the AACPM for several years before 2005 so they do not have the stats for those years.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I was just talking to someone about this. In 2007, the MCATs are going to computerized testing. The will be 19 test days, and therefore plenty of opportunity to take the test. This means schools will no longer accept DAT and GRE. The only reason they accept it now is b/c the MCATs are only offered twice a year and if you thought you wanted to be a dentist or didn't take the MCAT is time, they wanted to give there applicants options.

I hope all the schools follow this and only accept the MCAT. The NYCPM delegation plans to bring this up at the next APMSA meeting.

capo said:

I do not think anyone would make this test, the PDAT. there are not enough people interested in taking the test as compared to the numbers that take the DAT, GRE, MCAT, SAT.... test making is a business just like any other.

the better the test, the more time and man power put into evaluating the test and if not enough people take the test then the company will not make money.

This is part of the reason that the boards part I and II only have 150 questions, b/c to make up more valid questions and evalute them it would cost too much money, we alread pay $900 (partly due to the lawsuit but still)

krabmas said:
I hope all the schools follow this and only accept the MCAT. The NYCPM delegation plans to bring this up at the next APMSA meeting.

Getting the AACPM to moderize is like trying to bill to admit we are physicians. :laugh:

krabmas said:
This is part of the reason that the boards part I and II only have 150 questions, b/c to make up more valid questions and evalute them it would cost too much money, we alread pay $900 (partly due to the lawsuit but still)

What colleges are responsible for this krabmas? :laugh:

krabmas said:
lol, if you don't know go ask some friends at DMU....

I know I was just kidding. Heck who doesn't know; they even wrote an article about it in the last APMA News magazine.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I know I was just kidding. Heck who doesn't know; they even wrote an article about it in the last APMA News magazine.

to quasi quote you - i was being sarcastic, if you can't take a joke that is not my problem, get sense of humor.

note the sarcasm here as well :laugh:

I think I'd stick with schools that only accepted on the MCAT.

You do want standards, don't you?

The more the better in my opinion.

whiskers said:
I think I'd stick with schools that only accepted on the MCAT.

You do want standards, don't you?

The more the better in my opinion.

I was curious about this statement, as i did not remember any school specifying the MCAT as the only acceptable admissions test. i found this to be the case. the only school that mentions only the MCAT as the test for admissions was florida. i don't think i have seen anyone on this site from the florida school. no matter. did i miss a school somewhere that has an impresively high board-pass rate and standards rivaling an MD program?? :laugh:

Arizona: http://www.midwestern.edu/azpod/
Barry lists only MCAT as the admissions test.
Samuel Merritt: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/default.cfm
Iowa: http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/faq/
New York: http://www.nycpm.edu/prospectiveStudents/admissions.html
Ohio: http://www.ocpm.edu/departments/student_affairs/admissions/index.asp
Scholl: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Admissions/scpm/#Tests
Temple: http://podiatry.temple.edu/admissions/admissions.html

I don't know what the schools want.... but despite what the trend is for the schools I think that they should collectively accept only the MCAT.

It makes it look like we as a profession are fishing for students who didn't make the grade in other professions.

Which may be reality to some extent.

whiskers said:
I don't know what the schools want.... but despite what the trend is for the schools I think that they should collectively accept only the MCAT.

It makes it look like we as a profession are fishing for students who didn't make the grade in other professions.

Wait, hold on, stop...

Wiskers says that we should only accept the MCAT quick some one call AACPM and tell them the news. Maybe they will change because wiskers says so :laugh:

Wiskers, I'm glad you agree with the rest of us that the MCAT should be the only test accepted.

krabmas said:
to quasi quote you - i was being sarcastic, if you can't take a joke that is not my problem, get sense of humor.

note the sarcasm here as well :laugh:

I figured it out you post as Bill to make fun of all of us, CPMSers. :laugh:

lillytwig said:
I was curious about this statement, as i did not remember any school specifying the MCAT as the only acceptable admissions test. i found this to be the case. the only school that mentions only the MCAT as the test for admissions was florida. i don't think i have seen anyone on this site from the florida school. no matter. did i miss a school somewhere that has an impresively high board-pass rate and standards rivaling an MD program?? :laugh:

Arizona: http://www.midwestern.edu/azpod/
Barry lists only MCAT as the admissions test.
Samuel Merritt: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/default.cfm
Iowa: http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/faq/
New York: http://www.nycpm.edu/prospectiveStudents/admissions.html
Ohio: http://www.ocpm.edu/departments/student_affairs/admissions/index.asp
Scholl: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Admissions/scpm/#Tests
Temple: http://podiatry.temple.edu/admissions/admissions.html

Barry takes them all (GRE, MCAT, DAT) even if it doesn't specify. They have to. Schools are like businesses if your competition is selling something you had better match it or you might find yourself SOL. That is why the AACPM needs to step up with the standards, it levels the playing field.

whiskers said:

The reason they accepted the other tests is less about the left overs and more about the availability of the MCAT. You can walk into a testing center today and take the GRE. But the MCAT is only April and August, so if you were looking into podiatry in your senior year, you would have to hope and pray that there were spots open in May when you finally got the MCAT results. To me the MCAT is really the one that is behind in the times.

So i haven't heard anyone from Barry on this network. why is that? what type of school is barry-i have heard that it isn't really great. i know this has been discussed elsewhere, but what are some of the schools whose positions went unfilled last year? do you think this is because there is a gap between competitive students, and those who are applying with like a 2.3gpa, or because the schools will tell people to f-off before admitting them??
what do you guys think??

Dr_Feelgood said:
Barry takes them all (GRE, MCAT, DAT) even if it doesn't specify. They have to. Schools are like businesses if your competition is selling something you had better match it or you might find yourself SOL. That is why the AACPM needs to step up with the standards, it levels the playing field.

Look at Barry's graduate catalog (2005-2006) on page 192. It says that "The Admissions Committee may, at its discretion, consider scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other standardized graduate level admissions tests, although the MCAT is preferred." You can access the entire catalog online if you wish.

Dr_Feelgood said:
The reason they accepted the other tests is less about the left overs and more about the availability of the MCAT. You can walk into a testing center today and take the GRE. But the MCAT is only April and August, so if you were looking into podiatry in your senior year, you would have to hope and pray that there were spots open in May when you finally got the MCAT results. To me the MCAT is really the one that is behind in the times.

I agree as a pre-pod going through the application process now for fall 2006. I have elected to take the GRE instead of the MCAT b/c you get your results get to the school in ten days after taking the test. My test scores is the last leg of my application process so I can't afford to wait till June for MCAT scores. Besides the GRE is shorter and cheaper. There are still standards placed on the GRE scores. The standard is actually higher for GRE than MCAT.