Confused about my major

Fe23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next fall i will start college. My ultimate goal is to get into medical school, and probably do something with oncology or surgery (cardiology, more specifically). I'm kind of confused about my major: Biology, Biochemistry, or Neuroscience? I've read about all three..i know that biochemistry is tougher. I want to be admitted to the University of Michigan Medical School, so i need to keep up a high GPA. I like science...i didn't take heavy chemistry courses in high school though. Any help is highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about what to specialize in medical school. The classes you take in college will have little to no influence over that.

For at least the first year, it shouldn't make a difference. All of your pre-requisite courses will likely be the same. Most schools do not require you to declare a major immediately (especially if the science department is integrated with the rest of the "liberal arts" department).

But since you asked... Biochemistry is a very tough major. If you've had very limited exposure to chemistry in high school (AP chemistry?), then I would think carefully about this route. The key classes involved here are 3 semesters of biochemistry and 2 semesters of physical chemistry. All of these are very tough and notorious for pulling down GPA's, in addition to the traditional pre-med classes. Major in biochemistry if you feel you have a passion for the subject.

Don't do it simply because you think it will impress a med school admissions committee. It won't (especially if you fail to excel in it).

But since you asked... Biochemistry is a very tough major. If you've had very limited exposure to chemistry in high school (AP chemistry?), then I would think carefully about this route.

I had no chemistry in high school, but I didn't find it particularly hard in college. Having said that, you might find that you absolutely hate chemistry at the college level.

Ultimately, you will want to major in something you love doing. Your GPA will be higher, and you will be happier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chose undecided and when u find something that interests you major in it

I would spend the first year to choose an essay major first and pwn the GPA requirement for med school. :D