Confused about ESIR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsox93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was trying to learn more about ESIR but I’m still confused after reading the society of IR website. I get that you have to match DR at a program with ESIR and apply during R2 year, but what kind of factors go into matching into this spot? Do you have to have expressed an interest prior to matching into DR so the program is aware you’re trying to do ESIR? Will you be “competing” against your co-residents for these spots? Wondering if anyone has insight because I’m having a hard time finding anything super helpful

Members don't see this ad.

So I was trying to learn more about ESIR but I’m still confused after reading the society of IR website. I get that you have to match DR at a program with ESIR and apply during R2 year, but what kind of factors go into matching into this spot? Do you have to have expressed an interest prior to matching into DR so the program is aware you’re trying to do ESIR? Will you be “competing” against your co-residents for these spots? Wondering if anyone has insight because I’m having a hard time finding anything super helpful
First ask if your program has ESIR some programs do some don’t.
Let’s say you match to a program that has ESIR then the next question is how many esir spots are there? Next ask how many in my class want to do it. You may have to compete for a spot if there is more people wanting then there are spots or you may just walk right into it.
Last and I what predict will be most difficult you will have to find a spot at another program to do your last year of training. Why will it be more difficult? Because many of these programs have transitioned to the Integrated model.
Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone at a program where more ppl applied to ESIR than spots available? I'm pretty sure it's going to happen in my class for the first time -_-

First ask if your program has ESIR some programs do some don’t.
Let’s say you match to a program that has ESIR then the next question is how many esir spots are there? Next ask how many in my class want to do it. You may have to compete for a spot if there is more people wanting then there are spots or you may just walk right into it.
Last and I what predict will be most difficult you will have to find a spot at another program to do your last year of training. Why will it be more difficult? Because many of these programs have transitioned to the Integrated model.
Best of luck.
Thank you, I wasn’t aware you still had to match to another program after. Do you think this will even be a viable option in about 6 years when I’d even have to consider this? It seems like if all programs are going towards direct IR there won’t be any ESIR spots so would it be pointless to try to do ESIR? And is it possible that someone who did match into an ESIR program would just be out of luck for that last year of training?