Baylor ESIR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

Can anyone explain how the ESIR program at Baylor works? To my knowledge they are the only program on ERAS that has a separate ESIR program to apply to directly. An applicant can choose Diagnostic radiology or ESIR. Information online is minimal. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain how the ESIR program at Baylor works? To my knowledge they are the only program on ERAS that has a separate ESIR program to apply to directly. An applicant can choose Diagnostic radiology or ESIR. Information online is minimal. Thanks so much.
Most programs that are not direct path IR have what they call ESIR that you would apply for at the end of your first or second year of DR training and based on availability of spots and how many in your class want esir and how competitive you are compared to them you may/may not get an esir spot. What Baylor does is simple make that decision before your even excepted to the program. You will still have to do another year somewhere else after Baylor to complete your IR training. Why do they do it? Who know but the PD, I think there thought by doing IR training at multiple institutions you will get more diversity of training, sounds great in theory I’m not sure if in practice it actually will make a difference and may even be a detriment to some who are accepted to the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Most programs that are not direct path IR have what they call ESIR that you would apply for at the end of your first or second year of DR training and based on availability of spots and how many in your class want esir and how competitive you are compared to them you may/may not get an esir spot. What Baylor does is simple make that decision before your even excepted to the program. You will still have to do another year somewhere else after Baylor to complete your IR training. Why do they do it? Who know but the PD, I think there thought by doing IR training at multiple institutions you will get more diversity of training, sounds great in theory I’m not sure if in practice it actually will make a difference and may even be a detriment to some who are accepted to the program.
Ah, so the ESIR pathway residents aren't even guaranteed an IR fellowship spot at Baylor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, so the ESIR pathway residents aren't even guaranteed an IR fellowship spot at Baylor?
There are no more IR fellowship’s. And it guarantees that you will have to finish your final year of training somewhere else.

There are no more IR fellowship’s. And it guarantees that you will have to finish your final year of training somewhere else.
But wait, so the Baylor program does not have any spots for the ESIR students to stay to finish their training? What is the point of ESIR then? Do the vast majority of other programs have spots for ESIR residents to finish their IR training?

But wait, so the Baylor program does not have any spots for the ESIR students to stay to finish their training? What is the point of ESIR then? Do the vast majority of other programs have spots for ESIR residents to finish their IR training?
No Baylor does not have spots for there residents to finish there training. ESIR makes it so you only have one year of training to complete when your finished with residency, if a program does not have ESIR you would have to do two additional years of training. Most program have ESIR but most most programs do not have availability to complete your last year of training.

No Baylor does not have spots for there residents to finish there training. ESIR makes it so you only have one year of training to complete when your finished with residency, if a program does not have ESIR you would have to do two additional years of training. Most program have ESIR but most most programs do not have availability to complete your last year of training.
Got it. So how can I find which programs have the interventional radiology "residency" training following the ESIR pathway? I haven't been able to figure this out. If most programs don't have spots for their ESIR residents to finish their training... what do they do? Go on to DR fellowships and give up on IR?

Got it. So how can I find which programs have the interventional radiology "residency" training following the ESIR pathway? I haven't been able to figure this out. If most programs don't have spots for their ESIR residents to finish their training... what do they do? Go on to DR fellowships and give up on IR?
Go to the SIR website and look at the independent IR Residency’s.

They are expected to apply to these Independent IR residencies. Those that completed ESIR get 1 year credit making the "2 year residency" into a de facto 1 year fellowship.

From the SIR website:

"ESIR training is completed during a diagnostic radiology residency. It requires at least eight interventional radiology rotations, one ICU rotation, and up to three interventional radiology-related rotations during the R1(PGY-2) - R4(PGY-5) years. It also requires at least 500 interventional radiology or interventional radiology-related procedures.
ESIR candidates must still complete an independent IR residency to finish their IR training. Completion of the ESIR requirements allows advance placement into the 2nd year of the independent IR residency, reducing the total training time to only six years. Independent residency program directors do retain the authority to determine whether ESIR training was adequate for advance placement in their program; however, requiring two year of independent residency training for a resident with ESIR will be uncommon."

That means ESIR offers the additional flexibility of doing your DR training at one place and 1/2 of your IR training (the last year of the independent IR residency) at another place. Downside is that you could potentially not match at all and then be hosed.

I think some of the confusion over all the training pathways is because the called it an Independent IR residency instead of a fellowship. Then everyone gets the Independent IR residency and the complete IR/DR residency confused because of the common terminology. Any additional training completed after a residency should be called a fellowship.