Confirming concept on NADPH/ATP/NADH/FADH2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HannibalLecter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NADH - its just an electron shuttler, its not really used in any reactions as energy other than using its electrons in the electron transport chain to generate ATP

FADH2 - same as above

ATP - actual energy molecule where it can phosphorylate something making it negative and changing its structure someway to make it active - phosphorylating it (ie. G protein)

NADPH - actual energy molecule where it can reduce something making it into its active form (ie. activation of reductase involved in formation of peroxidases)

Ok my question is: Is my thinking on the NADH and FADH2 wrong because I have never seen them actually activating an enzyme or changing the confirmation of some protein but NADPH actually activates something. If I am wrong what is the difference between NADPH and NADH in the regards of what is their function?

Members don't see this ad.

NADH - its just an electron shuttler, its not really used in any reactions as energy other than using its electrons in the electron transport chain to generate ATP

FADH2 - same as above

ATP - actual energy molecule where it can phosphorylate something making it negative and changing its structure someway to make it active - phosphorylating it (ie. G protein)

NADPH - actual energy molecule where it can reduce something making it into its active form (ie. activation of reductase involved in formation of peroxidases)

Ok my question is: Is my thinking on the NADH and FADH2 wrong because I have never seen them actually activating an enzyme or changing the confirmation of some protein but NADPH actually activates something. If I am wrong what is the difference between NADPH and NADH in the regards of what is their function?

I think with regards to anything that will be on the DAT, you are correct with NADH being an electron carrier in the ETC during oxidative phosphorylation in the complete breakdown (oxidation) of glucose. This happens in the christae membrane (inner mitochondrial membrane) of mitochondria. NADPH, on the other hand, is involved with photosynthesis. NADPH is produced in the light reaction of photosynthesis (light reaction forms ATP and NADPH) and then both are used in the dark reaction (calvin cycle) to reduce CO2 to phosphoglyceraldehyde (PGAL) which combine to form glucose. for every 6 CO2 that enter the calvin cycle, 18 ATP and 12 NADPH are USED to form 1 Glucose (2 PGAL). The ATP produced in the light reaction is USED during the reduction of CO2 during the calvin cycle while the ATP produced during cellular respiration (glycolysis, krebs, ETC) provide energy for the rest of the body.
so..
NADH-involved w/ cellular respiration, which breaks down glucose
NADPH- involved w/ photosynthesis, which forms glucose

I hope this helps. This is how I understand it.

I think with regards to anything that will be on the DAT, you are correct with NADH being an electron carrier in the ETC during oxidative phosphorylation in the complete breakdown (oxidation) of glucose. This happens in the christae membrane (inner mitochondrial membrane) of mitochondria. NADPH, on the other hand, is involved with photosynthesis. NADPH is produced in the light reaction of photosynthesis (light reaction forms ATP and NADPH) and then both are used in the dark reaction (calvin cycle) to reduce CO2 to phosphoglyceraldehyde (PGAL) which combine to form glucose. for every 6 CO2 that enter the calvin cycle, 18 ATP and 12 NADPH are USED to form 1 Glucose (2 PGAL). The ATP produced in the light reaction is USED during the reduction of CO2 during the calvin cycle while the ATP produced during cellular respiration (glycolysis, krebs, ETC) provide energy for the rest of the body.
so..
NADH-involved w/ cellular respiration, which breaks down glucose
NADPH- involved w/ photosynthesis, which forms glucose

I hope this helps. This is how I understand it.

Well I know the overall concept of how NADH and NADPH are used in 2 different processes but I wanted to confirm the concept of how the two different molecules were working

FADH2 - same as above

The main difference between NAD(H) vs NADP(H) is...

NAD(H) is found in all cells of all living things, ESPECIALLY in mitochondria, they are very involved with glycolysis + ETC (you already know this Im sure). For basic biochemistry, NAD(H) is mostly involved with CATABOLIC reactions

NADP(H) on the other hand is special, its not found in mitochondria and for biochemistry 101, you just need to know they are mostly involved with ANABOLIC reactions (example: dark reaction of plants is an excellent example)

Both NADH + NADPH do the same thing (electron carriers). Do you know the form of the 2 electrons they carry? (this is important to know)

Members don't see this ad :)

FADH2 - same as above

you are right. but in more general concept, NADH is a product of catabolism and NADPH is used in anabolic reactions

The main difference between NAD(H) vs NADP(H) is...

NAD(H) is found in all cells of all living things, ESPECIALLY in mitochondria, they are very involved with glycolysis + ETC (you already know this Im sure). For basic biochemistry, NAD(H) is mostly involved with CATABOLIC reactions

NADP(H) on the other hand is special, its not found in mitochondria and for biochemistry 101, you just need to know they are mostly involved with ANABOLIC reactions (example: dark reaction of plants is an excellent example)

Both NADH + NADPH do the same thing (electron carriers). Do you know the form of the 2 electrons they carry? (this is important to know)

Yea its in the form of hydride in the niacin ring, it would be aromatic once again when it donates its 2 electrons and gives up the H