NADH and FADH2 ATP yield

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope_to_match

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So according to Cliff and Barron's AP - each NADH produces 3 ATP during oxidative phosphorylation and each FADH2 produces 2 ATP..

According to Chad the numbers are different (don't remember exactly what his video/quiz question that I came across stated).

Which one is true? I always learned it as 3 ATP/NADH and 2 ATP/FADH2..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the everyone I've seen on this forum and through Kaplan has said nadh is 3 and fadh is 2. I would go with that. It seems as if people are starting to view it as chad does, but I don't think it's gotten into the DAT at the moment.

The way you learned it is correct. What Chad said was that NADH is 2.5 and I think he said FADH2 is 1.5 so they rounded it up. Just remember NADH 3 ATP and FADH2 2 ATP. Chad gets to technical with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
side note: read some where (maybe Barron's AP Bio) that NADH from glycolysis yields 2 ATP since its requires energy to enter the mitochondria where as NADH produced inside of it yields 3 ATP. Don't know if we have to get that technical.

side note: read some where (maybe Barron's AP Bio) that NADH from glycolysis yields 2 ATP since its requires energy to enter the mitochondria where as NADH produced inside of it yields 3 ATP. Don't know if we have to get that technical.

I believe we do need to get that technical because it is important to get the final ATP yield. This is why prokaryotes yield 38 ATP and eukaryotes yield 36, due to the 2 ATP lost for the 2 nadh brought across the mitochondrial membrane.

I believe we do need to get that technical because it is important to get the final ATP yield. This is why prokaryotes yield 38 ATP and eukaryotes yield 36, due to the 2 ATP lost for the 2 nadh brought across the mitochondrial membrane.

agree