Concerned about my matched program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onewhen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.,

I am about to start a residency in a couple of months (IM). I matched at a community/university affiliated program . My concern is that the program is medium sized (300-400 beds), located in a small town with mostly upper middle-class population. I anticipate that I would not see a "variety of pathology" due to the demographic and would be missing on this part of the training. For example, I don't think I would see many HIV/IV drug-related diseases. The hospital is a tertiary referral center (with a large catchment area as I understand) and thus I'm sure I would be taking care of many "complex" patients.

Do you guys think that there would be an issue with pathology exposure? Did any of few train in a similar setting and how did it go? Is there anything/resource I can use to keep myself updated and make up for any potential gaps in training?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why don't you actually start at the program first and see if that's true.
You thinking you won't see HIV and IVDA in an upper-middle class population is pretty naive IMO.

Reactions: 8 users
Why don't you actually start at the program first and see if that's true.
You thinking you won't see HIV and IVDA in an upper-middle class population is pretty naive IMO.
I mean, you'll probably see less than you would in some other environments.

But you'll see enough to know what you don't know - and have the tools to look up what you need.

Every accredited program has enough patient volume to get exposed to the patients you need to become a competent internist (or FM doc, or pediatrician, or whatever specialty you are). The rest is you.

Reactions: 3 users
There will be plenty of IV drugs and noncompliant HIV patients

Reactions: 1 user

If you don't get your fill you can come rotate in my ER.