Computer for school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing what type of computers you all purchased for school, how they worked out, were there any complications?

Specifically, those who went with a regular notebook, those with a tablet, or those with a mac.

I appreciate any info. Also, what note taking software, or how did you organize your notes for efficiency?

I appreciate all responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought a mac for school, and I love it, but I'll say two things:

1) I'm a long time mac user

2) more importantly, I never use a computer during lecture. I find that having a computer open in front of me takes my focus off what I should be doing: listening to the professor. I found that students with tablets spent too much time wrestling with software, so I stay away from that.

Id also like to hear from people and their adventures into the world of laptops and tablets for school.

been dabbling with the thought of buying one myself, but propping up a computer in front of me during lecture sounds really unappealing. But maybe itd be nice to have in the library studying?

printing out notes and scribbling all over them will haunt me into gradschool i suppose lol. sigh!

Members don't see this ad :)
i bought a mac before school started, was my first time for a mac. got the small one, so if i do use it in lecture it's not too bulky. overall i really like the mac. i'd get the office software so you can use power point, word, excel.

bought a tablet pc and never used the function for school. In fact I have never taken it into class. Oh i have a good idea, maybe you can buy a new notebook for me, and I'll just send you my tablet.

I've bought my last 4 computers (personal and family) from the dell outlet website. They're basically all scratch/dents that they can't sell officially, so they knock a bunch of money off and sell them here. The listing is updated daily, so you might need to check daily and wait a week or so until you find a configuration and price that you're okay with (cause they come and go quickly if you don't act). I've never had a problem with any of the desktops or laptops and even the scratch/dent ones I've bought, I couldn't find a single mark on them. The one I'm using now, new would have cost me about $1300, but I paid $750 (I got the Inspiron 1420 laptop). Just pick a model and components, and try a search. They still come with a year warranty I believe. Though I'd throw that out there.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

PS - If you have an ebates.com account (which is free) or if you sign up, and go to the dell outlet link through their site, they give you i think 2-3% back through their program (after a 3 month build up period in case you get other rebates). Not much, but its something, and free to do. Just make sure you go through ebates to the outlet for it to work (or any other merchant on their site). I get printer ink (16% back), sports stuff, etc through there when I buy online.

I have a tablet PC, and i have frequently used it in classes. I think its great. Now that i have had one for a few years i wonder how i did without it.

I purchased a sony vaio laptop. It was very convenient for me but not necessary. You can do just as well without one.Turns out half of my class uses laptops to take notes or watever. Be sure to download the power point lectures ahead of time ..and it's on from there. U can just take notes on the slides. Occasionally I use the windows Notepad. Also, I use the pre-installed Windows calendar as my planner lol.

O, forgot to mention to get Microsoft Office softwares (power point, words, excel, etc)