Computer COMLEX Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panabodian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys the new version of the comlex is out there and someone must have taken it over these past 2 days. Help a brotha out, how was it? How much OMM? Heavy hit topics. Lots of pictures/EKGs. What books did you use? Anything would be helpful. My day is coming up soon and I'm freaking out. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

DrMom said:
Well, I'm gonna have to find time to study while I'm on a 2-month sub-I. I'm hoping that I can study enough. I've already done almost 400 questions, so I'm trying to pace myself.

Still freaked out, though.
I took usmle-2 2 weeks ago and comlex-2 last friday. All myfriends who took these exams and I thought usmle was tough but still better than step-1 and Comlex-2 is just such a pleasant experience compare to comlex-1 . Since we all got thru step-1, and step-2 being more clinical and do able, I think we will be fine. In my opinion ,crush or boards and wards along with practice questions is all you need. So dont let any one freak you out:)
Good luck every one

Not to hijack this thread, but I keep hearing how COMLEX-I has so much Ob/Gyn on it. Would any of you guys recommend a review book for those types of questions? Is HY Ob/Gyn too detailed for a 2nd year trying to do well on the Step 1?

took usmle 2 today. feel pretty good about it. took comlex on monday. feel like the comlex was harder.usmle definitely had some stuff that i never heard of before(at least the way they put it in the question) but it was a good test. the hardest part is that it is so long with the questions stems. started at 9 and finished at 4.took a break after every two blocks for a few mintues. the comlex i finished by 130 because the questions are so short.
plus the comlex had more question sets with you can blow through fast.
stamina is the key to the usmle guys..in my opinion everything on hte usmle was stuff that i was familar with you just have to go a little further to get the answer.

both were defeintely easier than step 1 in my mind..

good luck to those who are preparing..
now off to Mayo..

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
Just got a call from my med school study buddy...who took this test today. He did very well on step 1 and said that step 2 was much worse than step 1. He said that none of the review books he used were terribly useful in the end. In fact, his comment to me was that I should skip anything that is bolded in review books b/c almost none of that was on the test. BTW: he took a month to study for step 2, so it isn't like he didn't prepare.

All I can say is that he has completely freaked me out! :eek:

i took step 2 about 6 weeks ago, and i thought it was much more managable than step 1. throughout the year i used:
NMS medicine
Blueprints peds and OB/GYN
first aid psych
surgical recall

i also glanced over boards and wards and crush step 2 the weekend before shelf exams, and did practice questions in pre-test as well.

when reviewing for step 2, i used boards and wards and crush step 2, and usmleworld for questions. in my opinion, usmleworld was the most important factor in my score. get through ALL the questions at least once, and def repeat the ones you got wrong along the way.

this is exactly how i studied for USMLE and comlex. i got USMLE back and did fairly well, and i'm still waiting for COMLEX.

DOCTORSAIB said:
Not to hijack this thread, but I keep hearing how COMLEX-I has so much Ob/Gyn on it. Would any of you guys recommend a review book for those types of questions? Is HY Ob/Gyn too detailed for a 2nd year trying to do well on the Step 1?

:confused:

I don't remember much OB/Gyn on Step I, but there was a ton of it on step 2. I used the Blueprints Ob/Gyn book during my Ob/Gyn rotation and for some studying for COMLEX. But most of the Ob/Gyn I studied was from Boards and Wards.

DOtobe said:
:confused:

I don't remember much OB/Gyn on Step I, but there was a ton of it on step 2. I used the Blueprints Ob/Gyn book during my Ob/Gyn rotation and for some studying for COMLEX. But most of the Ob/Gyn I studied was from Boards and Wards.

Thanks for your reply. Word on SDN from people who took COMLEX-I this year was that there was alot of OB/GYN. I'm not in 3rd year yet, but from what I hear, Blueprints OB/GYN is no small book. It's probably overkill for Step 1 exam.

Since next year the COMLEX-I is becoming computerized and a one-day exam, I hope that they take out the obscure crap that everyone seems to be complaining about. I'm ready to take this bad boy, one-on-one....with a few months of prep of course.

Ok, back to COMLEX-II talk. Thanks for your help!

DrMom said:
In fact, his comment to me was that I should skip anything that is bolded in review books b/c almost none of that was on the test. BTW: he took a month to study for step 2, so it isn't like he didn't prepare.

All I can say is that he has completely freaked me out! :eek:

Don't worry. Step II is a strightforward exam. I won't go into type of questions here b/c there are many different versions. Ignore people who exagerate the experience. Usually they do well :sleep: But understand that no single review will prepare everything you see in the exam and yes, you cannot just read bolded words and consider that you read the whole book :rolleyes: .

I read first aid and did about 150 questions. Most of the stuff I saw was from things I've learned in the clinical rotations>>review book. No questions you did will appear in the comlex.

Personally studying for two weeks with light clinical schedule is plenty time to do well on the exam.

I was just wondering about how many OMM questions there were on each block & total throughout the exam. I've heard about 5 questions per block which equals about 40 OMM questions total for the test. Does that sound about right to those who have taken it already?

Sorry if I missed this, but anyone know how long it takes for scores to come back? Thanks.

Not sure how/why all these people are saying the Comlex II was a good exam. In my opinion the test was VERY POORLY written.....most questions involved little if any thinking and just memorizing the most likely cause/dx.

Dudes, are you kidding me!!!! Some of you posting as having taken comlex 2 in August do not think you will get scores back until April? I'm taking the thing in December, if that's true than I probably won't get score back until half way through internship year! What's the real straight skinny on how long it is taking to get scores back, some of you early takers ought to know by now! Thanks!

tool said:
Not sure how/why all these people are saying the Comlex II was a good exam. In my opinion the test was VERY POORLY written.....most questions involved little if any thinking and just memorizing the most likely cause/dx.
I ABSOLUTELY agree. Horribly written test... embarassing actually. If the test writers for USMLE saw the COMLEX they would laugh thier as$%#s off! Such random questions that have nothing to do with what you need to know to be a good physician. The questions were either so dumb that you didn't even have to think (which is a requirement to being a physician) or so vague and lacking of information that you had no idea what they were even asking. Seriously, I can't even discuss it right now cuz I'm still just toooo frustrated. :mad: I'd rather take USMLE twice then take the stupid COMLEX. I'm glad I took the USMLE... at least I have a test that will give a true representation of how far I've come over the past 3 years!

I am from the old school, took COMLEX II last year (paper and pencil, 2 days, ~800 questions), then took USMLE II 2 weeks later. Here's my advice, for those hoping to match ACGME (MD) programs, my boyfriend and I went into COMLEX II with the idea that this was a "practice exam", we knew we would pass and looked up things after each day to see what we got wrong and concentrated on those while we were studying for the "REAL EXAM", USMLE II. I did well on step 2 USMLE (240) and did well on COMLEX II without trying (565). I agree COMLEX II is a joke.

Good luck. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
docmartin said:
I am from the old school, took COMLEX II last year (paper and pencil, 2 days, ~800 questions), then took USMLE II 2 weeks later. Here's my advice, for those hoping to match ACGME (MD) programs, my boyfriend and I went into COMLEX II with the idea that this was a "practice exam", we knew we would pass and looked up things after each day to see what we got wrong and concentrated on those while we were studying for the "REAL EXAM", USMLE II. I did well on step 2 USMLE (240) and did well on COMLEX II without trying (565). I agree COMLEX II is a joke.

Good luck. :laugh:

So are you implying that being a DO is a joke? Why didn't you do to MD school then? I disagree that COMLEX II is a joke. If it was then my classmates and I would not be busting our butts now to prepare for it.

I have to agree that the Comlex II was very poorly written, especially after having taken the USMLE II a few days prior. Seriously, I also thought it was a joke as to how much it did not really test our medical knowledge. I think that most people who bust their asses studying for it leave disappointed that they did not truly get tested as to how much they can use their brains, but instead get tested on random judicial laws and also get bombarded with questions that if you miss one you end up missing the next 4 as well since they are pretty much linked. I admit I too was a bit embarrassed that this was our licensing exam.

I have mentioned this in other threads, but the study method for year III is simply way different than for step one of COMLEX/USMLE. The goal in 3rd year should be to economize your study efforts by studying very hard for each shelf exam. I would not place a lot of emphasis on whatever your school requires for grading because your 3rd year grades are not near as important as your step II score. Year III grades will only move you 5-10% in class rank in either direction most likely. But if you do well on shelf exams, then you can know that you will do well on the step II. If your school does not have shelf exams, then you should simply study the materials that most MD students study for their shelf exams, and then take your own "shelf" exam on Qbank for a particular subject. Doing questions are very important and understanding why you got questions right or wrong is essential. I feel bad for DO schools that don't administer the NBME shelf exams because they are very important measuring sticks. The correlation with step II scores is remarkable. But bottom line...step II is very much a buzzwords type exam even more than step I. Even if they don't give you the buzzword, they will paint you a picture of the word so that you can answer the question. I found USMLE Step II to be significantly easier than step I, and easier than COMLEX II. It took more time to read the longer stems, but at the end of the question you should clearly understand what they are asking most of the time. COMLEX had short stems but I found myself reading them over and over again because sometimes they were poorly written. But overall, the computer version of step II COMLEX is a significant improvement over the paper version.

COMLEX I 715/99
USMLE I 232/94
USMLE II 262/99
COMLEX II pending.....
Shelf exams 95-99

Thanks for the advice CorpsmanUP! I found it really helpful.

community

just wondering if some of you july COMLEX II takers have gotten your scores back yet??? anybody know if nbome has any info on when these scores might become available? i took the exam on aug 22nd so i figure i have atleast another month wait. THANKS FOR ANY INFO

What I'd heard through the grapevine is that the earliest that the first scores would be released is sometime in November...dependent upon how many people took the exam early so that they could play with the stats.

I called NBOME October 6th and they said scores from July, August and possibly September would be sent out sometime between the last week of October and the first week of November. I asked if the information was reliable enough to tell residency programs this and they said yes...I guess we'll see if they lied in a few weeks.
Whenever anyone gets scores, post a message (you don't have to say your score, just that you got them) to let everyone else know to expect them. For step 1 I got mine in NY a few days after friends got them in other parts of the country. Three people I know in Westchester county NY got them 3 days after I did.

You know, I didn't expect them to get results mailed to us before Thanksgiving. I'm still willing to bet they won't get to our mail boxes before then.

I too talked with NBOME and got the same stock answer that July and August takers can expect scores by the end of the first week of November.

It seems like forever since I took the bloody exam in July... Hopefully we will all pass and put it behind us.

Happy Halloween!
Yulata

Scores are in boys and girls!

I am happy to report I have passed 632... better than I thought.

luck to all
Yulata

Yulata said:

luck to all
Yulata

Congrats! I take mine in less than 3 weeks. Any advice?

Yulata said:

luck to all
Yulata
congats.... when did you take it? I took it the first week of sept, no word yet!

Hey, I took it July 27th... I heard the scores are only posted for folks who took it august 10th or before....

If you go to the NBOME website, there is a notice posted saying just the scores from late July to August 10th have been released. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of us. I took my test August 23rd...another few weeks maybe? months? Who knows...

The scores have been posted. However, does anyone know how to interpret the two digit score. I scored in the 99th % on step 1 and my two digit score is 88? What is that all about? Who knows when it comes to the COMLEX i guess. hahahahah

I just checked mine and I passed with about the same score as the first test!!! Woo Hoo!!!

giznut12 said:
The scores have been posted. However, does anyone know how to interpret the two digit score. I scored in the 99th % on step 1 and my two digit score is 88? What is that all about? Who knows when it comes to the COMLEX i guess. hahahahah

My Step I score was 99% with a two digit of 92. The two-digit is solely based on a mean of 80 and an SD of 3.5, I think, at least for step 1. Something like that. It certainly doesnt correlate with percentage or USMLE two-digit, by a long shot.

So how the heck do you interpret the 3 digit/2digit score??? I passed but I want to get a feel for how well (or poorly) I did....521/83. The NBOME website didn't help to figure out how to interpret this. :confused:

The ave is a 500/80 so all that i can say is that you did better than the average. Idio's two digit score on step 1 was 92 but he was in the 99th percentile...so who knows. I swear that they just made it more confusing for us now.

good job though. :)

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING PERCENTILE INFO, I THOUGHT THIS INFO MIGHT HELP. IT IS TAKEN FROM BOTH NBME.ORG AND NBOME.ORG

COMLEX INFO:
What types of score reports will candidates and schools receive from their computer-based COMLEX-USA examinations? When and how will the scores be reported?

For the computer-based COMLEX-USA examinations, candidates will still receive an official printed copy of their score reports from the NBOME by mail. The student score report will provide 3-digit standard scores, 2-digit standard scores, and a pass/fail designation. The 2-digit scores are linear transformations of the 3-digit scores so that 75 is designated as the minimum 2-digit passing score. Percentile rank will no longer be reported due to the fact that candidates will be taking the examination throughout the year.

USMLE INFO:
USMLE SCORE REPORTING: PERCENTILE INFORMATION DISCONTINUED
May 1999

Policy Change
As of May 1999, percentile information is no longer provided in connection with reports of USMLE scores.
Background
The primary focus of USMLE is on the licensure decision, and Steps 1, 2, and 3 scores are used in this process. The scores for each administration of a USMLE Step are equated so that a given two-digit or three-digit score always represents the same level of examinee performance for that Step. In other words, a score of 200 on one administration of a Step indicates the equivalent level of examinee performance as a score of 200 on any other administration of the same Step. This equivalence holds even if the pass-fail standard is changed, which permits comparing performance across time.
It is important also to remember that the two-digit score shown on USMLE transcripts is not a percentile. The two-digit score is a total test score that is designed to meet the requirements of many state licensing authorities. The two-digit score scale is one on which a 75 is always the minimum passing score. However, a given two-digit score may represent a different level of performance if the two administrations were subject to different pass/fail standards.
Percentiles are different from the two- and three-digit equated scores in that they can only be interpreted in the context of the examinee (norm) group upon which they are based. When the norm group changes, the percentile for a given score will change and percentiles based on different groups cannot be compared. Although the performance of large groups of examinees typically does not change dramatically from one year to the next, over a longer period of time there have been substantial changes. For example, in the late 1980s, applications to medical schools showed a marked decline, and this was reflected by lower performance on the initial administrations of USMLE as compared to the present when group USMLE performance has improved. As a result, identical three-digit scores are associated with significantly different percentiles if those percentiles are based upon the examinees from the different periods.
Problems with Comparison of Percentile Ranks
It is important to note that the above phenomenon has little impact in the licensure context for which USMLE was designed. Nevertheless, it also is clear that USMLE scores are used by third parties for a number of different reasons, with a heavy reliance upon corresponding percentile data. It has come to our attention that, in these secondary uses of USMLE data, failure to appreciate fully the relative nature of percentiles has caused a number of problems. The three most common are:
1. Student A took Step 1 in 1994 and reports a score of 210 and a percentile of 58. Student B took Step 1 in 1996 and reports a score of 210 and a percentile of 48.
• Are both reports correct? Yes. Each student used the percentile conversion charts developed for the cohort which included the examination that he/she took. In each case the reference group was different and so the percentiles calculated for the same score were different.
• Which student had better performance on Step 1? Both students scored 210, so their performance was identical. The percentiles, although "correct" imply that Student A "did better" on Step 1 but, in fact, the two students performed equally well.
2. Student A took Step 1 in 1994 and reports a score of 206 and a percentile of 50. Student B took Step 1 in 1996, and reports a score of 210 and a percentile of 48.
• Are both reports correct? Yes. Each student used the percentile conversion charts developed for the cohort which included the examination that he/she took. In each case the reference group was different.
• Which student had better performance on Step 1? Although Student A fell into a higher percentile rank because a different norm group was used, Student B actually had a slightly better performance on Step 1 as represented by the three-digit score. It should be noted that the difference between the scores is very small (i.e., approximately 0.2 standard deviations) and probably reflects no practical difference.
3. A student took Step 1 in 1994. He/she reports a score of 218 and a percentile of 73. A medical school official refers to a USMLE percentile conversion table and finds that the student's percentile is 63.
• Are both percentiles correct? Yes. Both the student and school official have obtained accurate but apparently inconsistent information as a result of using percentile charts based on different examination cohorts. This is because the percentile for the Step 1 score varies depending on the norm group used to calculate the percentiles. The applicant was in the 73rd percentile of those who took Step 1 in 1994 and the 63rd percentile compared to those who took Step 1 in 1995 and 1996.
These examples clearly show a potential for misinterpretation of the scores if the user is not familiar with: a) the difference between two- or three-digit equated scores and percentile information, and b) the examinee group upon which the percentile information is based.
Summary
Percentiles are not meaningful when attempting to rank order students whose percentile equivalents were calculated using different examinee groups. Utilizing percentiles can lead to the types of errors illustrated above. It is for these reasons that percentile information is no longer available in connection with USMLE scores.

For those of you with scores, did you have to check the website, or did you receive an email or something?? I have no idea when to even begin to expect a score, I took it on 10/7. Maybe around June? July? :rolleyes: I hate COMLEX.

giznut12 said:
The ave is a 500/80 so all that i can say is that you did better than the average. Idio's two digit score on step 1 was 92 but he was in the 99th percentile...so who knows. I swear that they just made it more confusing for us now.

good job though. :)

So with an average of 80 and a passing of 75, we can reasonably assume that 5 = 1.4-1.5 SD, and as such, a 92-94 is realistically the highest score possible (~4 SD above the mean). So, this is a problem, because USMLE scores of 99 frequently include the top 4-5% of test takers, which makes a 95 USMLE look a lot better than it is, compared to the impossible-to-achieve 95 COMLEX>

So I guess that I should be excited that I got a 92 on comlex even though program directors at allopathic programs probably won't be that impressed considering a 92 on the USMLE isn't exactly considered great. I guess I'll take the USMLE anyway. What a joke.

giznut12 said:
So I guess that I should be excited that I got a 92 on comlex even though program directors at allopathic programs probably won't be that impressed considering a 92 on the USMLE isn't exactly considered great. I guess I'll take the USMLE anyway. What a joke.

WAY excited, and if asked I would make sure they know that this is equivalent to a 99.99 on USMLE ;)

I took Step 2 on Aug 29th, and after the test the online system just stated sceduled. Now I can on the online system and re-register for step 2, anyone else have this also? Did I fail it and they are telling me to re-register? I am freakin a little. Any help would be great.

scots71 said:
I took Step 2 on Aug 29th, and after the test the online system just stated sceduled. Now I can on the online system and re-register for step 2, anyone else have this also? Did I fail it and they are telling me to re-register? I am freakin a little. Any help would be great.

Have no idea....I wouldn't read too much into it...this is the NBOME after all. When I login it states "approved" for step 2....I took it on Aug 26th.

scots,
i also have gone to the nbome site and it states that i havent taken it yet (unlike the PE which says I took it) i took the exam aug. 25th. but i have not tried to register again like u did. who knows what's going? :eek:

wow, i feel much better. I took step 2 on august 26th and I have been checking the nbome website every day. From the day I scheduled the exam until yesterday it said I was "scheduled", then I checked today and it said "approved". I got really scared and thought that I failed it. I almost had a panic attack when I realized I could re-register for it. (as most of us know, you can find out if you passed USMLE by trying to re-register...hopefully that is not how nbome is working). anyway, i'm calling nbome tomorrow to find out what is going on. i'll post what they say if they actually answer the phone and talk to me. glad to know others are having similar issues with the nbome website.

scots71 said:

O.k., kinda freakin out now too. Mine also says approved and literally like 5 hours earlier it said scheduled. It's also letting me register to take the test again. Hmmmmm...does this mean something? or do they just have no idea what they're doing? Based on the previous outstanding work by the NBOME, I'm going to guess the latter is true.

Same thing with me "approved" and it appears I can re-register for step 2....today is the 1st day i've checked lol. What's the odds that all 4 of us failed? I'd say 0.000000001% chance :)

tool said:
Same thing with me "approved" and it appears I can re-register for step 2....today is the 1st day i've checked lol. What's the odds that all 4 of us failed? I'd say 0.000000001% chance :)

It does NOT mean you failed. My friend had the same thing happen to him. He took the test on 8/8 or 8/9. Then it said scheduled, then approved, he freaked out and called NBOME. They told him that the test had been scored but they couldn't tell him his grade. So he thought for sure he failed. Got his score on Saturday and he passed. I think maybe it changes when they score your test. As for when they release the score, that is the real unknown. But it DOES NOT MEAN YOU FAILED!! :D

I just checked and mine now says "approved" also. It said scheduled yesterday. I took the test on 10/7. Who knows....

Called nbome today, they said that as they update the system the "scheduled" and "approved" labels may change, but they do not relate to your score in any way. They said august 26th scores will be out next week.

yeah I also was a bit freaked out when I was that today, "approved" vs scheduled. I took the thing on Aug 26.

Good luck all, not that it really matters now