Completely Unrelated Major?

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, so don't assume I'm doing this, but how do medical schools view majoring in something COMPLETELY unrelated to science/health care? (And this is coming from someone who can see how music/sports relate to science...)

I mean, don't secondaries ask why you chose the major you chose, hoping you'll relate it to health care in some way? What if it just doesn't relate, and you're doing it because you just like that particular field?

EDIT: And also, how do medical schools view unrelated second majors or minors?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Major in whatever you think you'll enjoy. Just nail your premed prereqs and nail the MCAT.

we need to close threads like this immiedately after the clearly correct answer is given =p

Members don't see this ad :)
Gaahhh, deciding on a major is just driving me nuts, sorry. :( So I won't have to back up my reasoning for choosing a certain major at all? Because my only reason atm is "Hey, it looks cool!" :rolleyes:

Well, actually, here's a better justification:

We're going to learn the science aspects in medical school anyway, right? And I love science, honestly, but while I have these four years, I really want to explore something new, cool, and totally radically different. I'm also a bit worried that taking science on top of all the other pre-med stuff we have to do will be overwhelming, and I can wait until medical school to completely immerse myself in medicine. Is this reasonable? And will not having advanced science courses look bad, because some schools do have them under recommendations?

Gaahhh, deciding on a major is just driving me nuts, sorry. :( So I won't have to back up my reasoning for choosing a certain major at all? Because my only reason atm is "Hey, it looks cool!" :rolleyes:

I would use "I'm passionate about it" rather than "because its cool", but yes.

The problem is I'm more passionate about science...see above addition.

Most pre-meds are science majors. So, it has been done before. If you have discipline, and are smart about spreading the science courses out, it isn't that rough (unless you are physics/math/engineering perhaps). It helps when you enjoy it. Also, if you like hard core science, you'll probably want to end up in pathology or research. Medicine is a lot of art as well as applied science.

I'm definitely a balance of art and science, and this is why I'm having trouble deciding on a major. If I were just hardcore science, the choice would be an easy one. I may have the discipline to go hardcore science all through undergrad...but this wouldn't make me happy. While I have the chance, I want to explore.

Its probably actually better you do something different. Just maintain your sciGPA and your MCATs and you will be good.

if you major in something else thats something to talk about on an interview or on a Personal statement. Maybe somethign in your particular field interests you and you find some type of connection with it and being a doctor. Maybe not. Perhaps you have done something very impresive in your field and it made a huge difference in your life.

Im pretty sure med schools wont mind seeing something other than the dime a dozen bio majors that apply to them every year.

Its probably actually better you do something different. Just maintain your sciGPA and your MCATs and you will be good.

if you major in something else thats something to talk about on an interview or on a Personal statement. Maybe somethign in your particular field interests you and you find some type of connection with it and being a doctor. Maybe not. Perhaps you have done something very impresive in your field and it made a huge difference in your life.

Im pretty sure med schools wont mind seeing something other than the dime a dozen bio majors that apply to them every year.

Although I hear this, what on Earth am I supposed to put on my med school application? I won't have a bunch of health/science-related internships and etc that everyone else will have...won't the random, non-science achievements simply be out of place?

Although I hear this, what on Earth am I supposed to put on my med school application? I won't have a bunch of health/science-related internships and etc that everyone else will have...won't the random, non-science achievements simply be out of place?

Nope. The application isn't meant to show that you know everything about medicine. That's what med school is for. The application shows your potential. My application is full of non-health stuff, and I feel that all of it shows my potential to be a good physician.

Nope. The application isn't meant to show that you know everything about medicine. That's what med school is for. The application shows your potential. My application is full of non-health stuff, and I feel that all of it shows my potential to be a good physician.

Well, your mdapps has a lot of interesting ECs, such as teaching and volunteering to help the less fortunate. But the particular field I am considering will involve none of this, so perhaps I will have to put in extra effort to seem caring and compassionate. Joy. :p I'm just not sure if I have the energy and time to look appealing to medical schools and do what interests me. The particular characteristics medical schools look for (minus possibly leadership) are absent from some of the majors I am considering.

umm why wouldn't you ahve the other medical achievements. majoring in pottery doesn't mean you can't spend time shadowing, doing pre-reqs, do some clinical research if that's your thing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a chemistry major...nothing I did in that major had anything that looks good for med school. Neither does a basic bio major. Why? because they're just classes...Shadoiwing, research, volunteering, whatever, has nothing to do with your major. I mean, there's a reason that EC means EXTRAcurricular... it's like saying "i'm a bio major so I won't be able to cook my food in my kitchen because it's not part of the major.

Well, your mdapps has a lot of interesting ECs, such as teaching and volunteering to help the less fortunate. But the particular field I am considering will involve none of this, so perhaps I will have to put in extra effort to seem caring and compassionate. Joy. :p I'm just not sure if I have the energy and time to look appealing to medical schools and do what interests me. The particular characteristics medical schools look for (minus possibly leadership) are absent from some of the majors I am considering.

Practically none of my ECs are relevant to my major. Math has nothing to do with volunteering and teaching. You have to do other stuff. That's why they are called extra-curriculars.

umm why wouldn't you ahve the other medical achievements. majoring in pottery doesn't mean you can't spend time shadowing, doing pre-reqs, do some clinical research if that's your thing, etc.

Right, but I'd spend considerably less time doing these things, and I might opt for internships/opportunities/etc in this other field as opposed to medicine, since there are only 3 pre-application years. So basically, what I'm being told is that I can major in something else, but I still have to go above and beyond in the sciences as well?

I was a chemistry major...nothing I did in that major had anything that looks good for med school. Neither does a basic bio major. Why? because they're just classes...Shadoiwing, research, volunteering, whatever, has nothing to do with your major. I mean, there's a reason that EC means EXTRAcurricular... it's like saying "i'm a bio major so I won't be able to cook my food in my kitchen because it's not part of the major.

Haha, ok, let me just give a random example. :)

Say I'm an engineering major. Instead of applying for health internships, I apply and am accepted into a bunch of engineering internships. Most of my classes are in that field, with only the pre-reqs and maybe a few others in health/science-related fields. Most of my volunteering and job-related ECs involve engineering as well. Even my research is in...engineering. :p While this stands out, I'm not sure that it does so in a positive light. You're trying to tell me there won't be a conflict of interest suspicion, and that somebody more devoted to the sciences won't be chosen over me?

Right, but I'd spend considerably less time doing these things, and I might opt for internships/opportunities/etc in this other field as opposed to medicine, since there are only 3 pre-application years. So basically, what I'm being told is that I can major in something else, but I still have to go above and beyond in the sciences as well?

No. You just have to get involved in other stuff. Volunteering and shadowing, yes, you have to do that. But they aren't hard. You can do internships in your field and that will look impressive, but you can get involved in like the knittig club and take on some leadership somewhere and it will look good on your application. Your ECs do not have to be related to the sciences. What field are you looking at. I can guarantee you that there is someone on SDN who has majored in practically any field.

Haha, ok, let me just give a random example. :)

Say I'm an engineering major. Instead of applying for health internships, I apply and am accepted into a bunch of engineering internships. Most of my classes are in that field, with only the pre-reqs and maybe a few others in health/science-related fields. Most of my volunteering and job-related ECs involve engineering as well. Even my research is in...engineering. :p While this stands out, I'm not sure that it does so in a positive light. You're trying to tell me there won't be a conflict of interest suspicion, and that somebody more devoted to the sciences won't be chosen over me?

I think that would look impressive (but don't forget hospital volunteering and shadowing). My research is in Math and I'm very proud of it. Besides it's a well known fact that engineering is harder than biology. I think if you do well, it will be even better than a biology major.

HEAD DESK
fine, go be a science major since you can't seem to stop making up excuses about why you don't want to do any extra curriculars (which you have to dowhether you're a science major or a non-science major) or take courses outside ur major and arent' even considering the possibility of doing 4 pre-application years.

WTF is a health internship anyway???

HEAD DESK
fine, go be a science major since you can't seem to stop making up excuses about why you don't want to do any extra curriculars (which you have to dowhether you're a science major or a non-science major) or take courses outside ur major and arent' even considering the possibility of doing 4 pre-application years.

WTF is a health internship anyway???

o_0

I would love to do as many ECs as I can in every field imaginable, but I'm no superman. :( And I sent you a PM, ksmi117. I'm sorry if my posts are coming off frustrating.

I just meant the usual big-name internships or research positions I see on mdapps.

o_0

I would love to do as many ECs as I can in every field imaginable, but I'm no superman. :( And I sent you a PM, ksmi117. I'm sorry if my posts are coming off frustrating.

I just meant the usual big-name internships or research positions I see on mdapps.

Psh. Those are lame anyway. ;) Research in other fields is where it's at. :D

o_0

Your posts are frustrating:
you: can i major in anything.
everyone else: yes
you: but I don't want to.

So basically you're making tons of excuses because you don't want to have to take 1-2 courses outside your major, you don't want to do ECs unrelated to your major, you dont' want to do research outside of your major. What does everyone else do? take 1-2 courses outside their major a semester no problem, ECs unrelated to their major, shadows with ppl completley outside their major, does research in or out of their major, their choice.

Your posts are frustrating:
you: can i major in anything.
everyone else: yes
you: but I don't want to.

So basically you're making tons of excuses because you don't want to have to take 1-2 courses outside your major, you don't want to do ECs unrelated to your major, you dont' want to do research outside of your major. What does everyone else do? take 1-2 courses outside their major a semester no problem, ECs unrelated to their major, shadows with ppl completley outside their major, does research in or out of their major, their choice.

Ughhhh, I'm not saying I don't want to! I'm saying there's just not enough time to be a perfectly well-rounded student in sciences and whatever else. At several points, I'll have to compromise one or the other, and I"m just asking if compromisng the science bit (of course I'll get the basics done) is going to hurt me in any way. Trust me, I wish I could do everything.

Haha, I'm going to do my best to be involved in both fields in terms of research. :) Research is something I happen to love.

Ughhhh, I'm not saying I don't want to! I'm saying there's just not enough time to be a perfectly well-rounded student in sciences and whatever else. At several points, I'll have to compromise one or the other, and I"m just asking if compromisng the science bit (of course I'll get the basics done) is going to hurt me in any way. Trust me, I wish I could do everything.

Haha, I'm going to do my best to be involved in both fields in terms of research. :) Research is something I happen to love.

well, the straight clear up answer is no, just as everyone's been saying. Schools care that you do stuff that interests you, that you excel at your studies, that you know what you're getting into, and that you bring something to the table. Your call if you wantt obe a dime a dozen applicant or not (and remember, no one says that you can't take a year off to make sure you ahve 4 pre-applicant years + job experience.

I'm double majoring psychology / chemistry. There is no course overlap outside of humanities, and I'm only averaging about 16 hours/semester. You can take what you want and still get your premed requirements in there.

I would spend my first year to do an analysis to find out the easiest major in my university depending on a number of factors.

Why don't you just take classes in a variety of subjects and see what you like best? You'll probably change your mind in college anyway...

As everyone has said before major in what you love. Dont do bio or chem or other science majors just because it what everyone else is doing or because you think it will be and advantage because its not.

At my school we have had English, History, Political Science, Philosophy, Theatre,Education, Crimnal Justice, and even an Astromony majors getting into good medicial school.

I was psyche major with a concentration in neuroscience chem/bio minor. I never want to be a natural science major because most if it doesnt interest me at all!

I made A's in all my pre med class and in my psychology( only made B in 5 classes~ math and physics) and I have a scholarship to medicial school in the fall.

No matter what major you choose it can be related back to medicine. Try me it you want :)

Shadowing is a must. You cant be a doc if you dont know what they do. Watching Grey 's or House don count either does shadow a doctor three hr for a week. You need about 100 of shadow on different days at different time and place to get the real picture of a doctor

Other EC should demonstrate your leadership, compassion, organization skill, comittment, dedication,teamwork, diversity, flexibilty, uniqueness and other characteristic that would make you a stella doctor. It doesnt all have to medical related. In fact its better if it was all med related cuz that would show that you arent well- round which = no med school for you

There may not be enough time to do everything. But, you will be able to do the things that you need to do regardless of your major. That is, as long as you prioritize your time. If you are a high school student now (are you?), you don't realize how little your major has to do with any of this. This will make sense as you get started in college.

Don't worry about "compromising the science bit" because all you need to do is master the basics in undergrad. The MCAT is based on the basic (Gen Chem, O Chem, Physics, Bio, Math) science classes that are required for admission to medical school. And, you will take these classes if you are a bio, chem, art, music, whatever major. Other recommended courses such as Biochem, Cell Bio, etc. may give a background for medical school courses, but I don't think they really affect admissions outcomes positively or negatively.

You can do research in whatever field as long as you contribute, and get something out of it.

We have all told you that it doesn't matter what your major is. And yet, it hasn't appeased whatever the real issue is. And, perhaps we don't understand the real issue. But take our word for it or don't; it doesn't matter what you major in. It only matters that you enjoy it.

Don't fall into the misery that is obsessing about what a medical school admissions committee will think about how you live your life or what you study or how you dress. They just want real people who do what they love and do it well (and that have high GPAs, ace the MCAT, and the necessary ECs of course).