Compiled Step one Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a thread to post individual step 1 experiences. Like what was on it, how you felt going into it, what books you used, what was helpfull, what was not. Basically anything you think would be helpfull to other students. Post your own thread so that you can get the congratulations you deserve and answer any questions, but please just cut and paste that experience onto this thread so it will be around for years. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DebDynamite said:
Hey everyone,
Well, I took it yesterday and I must say that I agree. No matter how I score, the only regret I have about the entire process was that I flippin' worried so much about it. It wasn't as bad as the anticipation of actually taking the test. The questions are simpler than QBank in that they seem to be written better. They may be just as "third order"- but less circuitously (sp?) so. As for the bunk about the USMLE being "about 60%" clinical vignettes- my test was more like 90%. It was like taking one long SHELF exam really. I had one question that was almost verbatim QBank- and repeatedly encountered themes that QBank drove through, but still think that the NBBME questions were "easier"- in that they were more clearly written.

I studied for about 3.5 weeks, pretty hardcore, and felt it was the perfect amount of time for me.

I ended up doing mainly FA (about twice through), about 1000 QBank q's (any more than that I felt was overkill, and still think so). I also listened to Dr. Barone via Kaplan's WebPrep- which I enjoyed more than Goljan. I liked his voice compared to Goljan's (although my study partner disagreed- she would listen to Goljan Path and and I would listen to Barone- and we would compare the two every day as we went over FA together- in the end I feel the fact that I pirated Dr. Barone's path reviews from Kaplan made it all worth it for me- I will use it again in the future no doubt, and happily so as I am still peeved at Kaplan for server updates at the MOST inconvenient of times....). I think really studying hard for 3-4 weeks is key- now I can go PLAY for 4 weeks-yes!

Good luck everyone!
WE go to have Dr. Barone as our Kaplan instructor LIVE! He's so great...

I wish I had recordings of him...

BARONE ROCKS. (i know that sounds corny...but deb will understand ;))

If anyone has really sensitive eyes, I suggest you go to as nice a testing center as possible. I went to an older one, and wore my contacts. The room was completely lit with overhead florescent lighting and my screen was just beginning to do that "oscillating light"-thingy that computer screens do when they get old. It was barely noticeable, but apparent enough that I almost flipped out and left to rescedule when I first sat down. I watched the screen flicker, noted the annoying overhead florescents, observed that I would be straining my eyes for 7 hours (even after I dimmed the screen), and just about had a heart attack. I looked up at the dang camera pointing down on me and thought, "Oh crap- I can stare at this horrible screen all day, or find another test date. Just lovely" Then, I read the first question, which turned out to be a dermatomyositis ( I think it was, anyway :) question, and decided that if I could squint for one I could squint for 324 more- and did so. In the end I had a horrible headache, but I don't think it affected my score because I didn't notice until the end of the day, when I quit squinting. So, if you have sensitive eyes, find a nice place to take your test.

And it is true that they totally scrutinize your attire. I took off my sweater and draped it over my shoulders and the proctor took it away from me! And I wore my eyeglasses in on my head in case a contact gave me trouble, and on my first break he informed me to leave my eyeglasses on my desktop and not on my head. I am so not making this up. It was a little silly.

The other thing to think about is the fact that the room may be hot. I was fine in my test center- but I always run cold. You may want to call and ask the people who run your center what the temp is like.

Jay Zee-
I am soo jealous!
My study partner and I had a running joke about how he was my "boyfriend" all month. I listened to him everywhere I went. My fiance' actually (don't ask me how he's a software whiz) recorded all of the Kaplan Path and Behav Sciences for me, and I was therefore able to manipulate the files in MP3 and CD format. So, I took Dr. Barone on walks with me everyday. I liked his voice because it was musical, reassuring, and confident. He would lilt, "And when they aaaassssskhhh you, what is the marker for Neutrophillsss, you will answer, Myhhhloperhoxidhase-aaaahhhh"." I felt as if he was subtly hypnotizing path into me. It was, strangely enough, a confidence booster . Then I would go and try to listen to Goljan (who is great, but not for me)- and his style just did not mesh with me- more like a stern but loving grandfather. I kept going back to Barone.

I'm sure if you had him LIVE you kicked the pants off the USMLE. :love:
JayZee said:
WE go to have Dr. Barone as our Kaplan instructor LIVE! He's so great...

I wish I had recordings of him...

BARONE ROCKS. (i know that sounds corny...but deb will understand ;))

Members don't see this ad :)
DebDynamite said:
Jay Zee-
I am soo jealous!
My study partner and I had a running joke about how he was my "boyfriend" all month. I listened to him everywhere I went. My fiance' actually (don't ask me how he's a software whiz) recorded all of the Kaplan Path and Behav Sciences for me, and I was therefore able to manipulate the files in MP3 and CD format. So, I took Dr. Barone on walks with me everyday. I liked his voice because it was musical, reassuring, and confident. He would lilt, "And when they aaaassssskhhh you, what is the marker for Neutrophillsss, you will answer, Myhhhloperhoxidhase-aaaahhhh"." I felt as if he was subtly hypnotizing path into me. It was, strangely enough, a confidence booster . Then I would go and try to listen to Goljan (who is great, but not for me)- and his style just did not mesh with me- more like a stern but loving grandfather. I kept going back to Barone.

I'm sure if you had him LIVE you kicked the pants off the USMLE. :love:
HAHAHAHAHAH I hope I do, I take it in on Friday!
Did you know he "wasn't 20" when he graduated from med school? That's what he said when I asked him, cuz he kept referring to himself as the doogie howser...
There are only 2 answers in class...the NIIIIIIIICE answer and the right answer! (imagine him stroking his left arm...saying NIIIIICE NIIIIICE...)
Barone pony deb? :love: Barone's got your micro back! :D

"Circle it and say BARONE ROCKS!"

JayZee said:
HAHAHAHAHAH I hope I do, I take it in on Friday!
Did you know he "wasn't 20" when he graduated from med school? That's what he said when I asked him, cuz he kept referring to himself as the doogie howser...
There are only 2 answers in class...the NIIIIIIIICE answer and the right answer! (imagine him stroking his left arm...saying NIIIIICE NIIIIICE...)
Barone pony deb? :love: Barone's got your micro back! :D

"Circle it and say BARONE ROCKS!"

Barone is full of himself. He loves to tell everyone how he was a doogie howser, I just got done with him last week and we must've heard how "young" he is like a thousand times. Plus I used to work in Hollywood with the stars too so I was over his name dropping after about hour 2.
In all fairness though his spontaneous explosive diarrhea joke was one of the more helpful things I got out of the course, I really think it's gonna calm my nerves when I get to a question I don't know, instead of freaking out I'll probably start laughing. But then again I get explosive diarrhea every time I even see this thread so.....yeah I need to work on the nerves thing.

For some reason I can't copy my Goljan onto my ipod....anybody know how to fix that?

Brickhouse said:
Barone is full of himself. He loves to tell everyone how he was a doogie howser, I just got done with him last week and we must've heard how "young" he is like a thousand times. Plus I used to work in Hollywood with the stars too so I was over his name dropping after about hour 2.
In all fairness though his spontaneous explosive diarrhea joke was one of the more helpful things I got out of the course, I really think it's gonna calm my nerves when I get to a question I don't know, instead of freaking out I'll probably start laughing. But then again I get explosive diarrhea every time I even see this thread so.....yeah I need to work on the nerves thing.

For some reason I can't copy my Goljan onto my ipod....anybody know how to fix that?
for goljan audio trouble
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=284350

and so what he's full of himself...he's got stupid things to help us remember stupid stuff!

HEM-ANGIO-BLASTOMA
VON-HIPPEL-LINDAU
chr. 3!

Brickhouse said:

You need manually convert each file..i.e. right click on each song/file in Itunes & an option for 'Convert to AAAC" should pop up. You will then have 2 ocpies of each file, but only the converted file will transfer to ur ipod on the next sync.

missbonnie said:
You need manually convert each file..i.e. right click on each song/file in Itunes & an option for 'Convert to AAAC" should pop up. You will then have 2 ocpies of each file, but only the converted file will transfer to ur ipod on the next sync.

thanks, I love you

Brickhouse said:

Hey Brickhouse,
Unfortunately I am secretly sure that Barone is probably full of himself. If only your posting were a surprise- sigh...I like to imagine him in my mind as a hott, intellectually bent Pathologist who reads Rumi on the weekend and sits in his art studio painting the female form. I try not to think about his credentials or the fact that he works with stars. Thespians get on my everlasting nerve, and always have. I don't even want to know what he looks like in real life- please, don't kill the illusion.

JayZee- you shall kick butt, no doubt. Tone the studying Waaaayyy down from here on out- begin your "re-entry" phenomenon now. You will be better prepared for Friday if you take a mind holiday of at least 24H before the real thing.

DebDynamite said:
Hey Brickhouse,
I don't even want to know what he looks like in real life- please, don't kill the illusion.

Ok, ok....you're right it's more fun to fantasize....so what he looks like....you know Brad Pitt in Fight club? And Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean? And finally.....Matthew McConaughey in A Time to Kill (I know, that's going way back)......you guessed it - a perfect mix of all three....and I hear he's hung, too. ;)

Brickhouse said:
Ok, ok....you're right it's more fun to fantasize....so what he looks like....you know Brad Pitt in Fight club? And Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean? And finally.....Matthew McConaughey in A Time to Kill (I know, that's going way back)......you guessed it - a perfect mix of all three....and I hear he's hung, too. ;)
Thank you. This is what I mean- I got up every morning, for the better part of a month, and popped his voice into my head- there he was, looking like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, sipping an espresso, staring intently at me over breakfast, saying, "Tissue is the issue when you think cancer may be the answer. Ahhhahahhhh...."
Now, I'm off to the beach!

DebDynamite said:
Hey Brickhouse,
Unfortunately I am secretly sure that Barone is probably full of himself. If only your posting were a surprise- sigh...I like to imagine him in my mind as a hott, intellectually bent Pathologist who reads Rumi on the weekend and sits in his art studio painting the female form. I try not to think about his credentials or the fact that he works with stars. Thespians get on my everlasting nerve, and always have. I don't even want to know what he looks like in real life- please, don't kill the illusion.

JayZee- you shall kick butt, no doubt. Tone the studying Waaaayyy down from here on out- begin your "re-entry" phenomenon now. You will be better prepared for Friday if you take a mind holiday of at least 24H before the real thing.
thank you deb you are too sweet.

He ain't to bad looking really...I had a pic of him of our course eval site, but since I did the eval like a month ago its gone...just imagine an tall, dark Italian American...who would fit nicely in the Godfather movies...:))

Members don't see this ad :)
DebDynamite said:
Thank you. This is what I mean- I got up every morning, for the better part of a month, and popped his voice into my head- there he was, looking like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, sipping an espresso, staring intently at me over breakfast, saying, "Tissue is the issue when you think cancer may be the answer. Ahhhahahhhh...."
Now, I'm off to the beach!

girl you totally crack me up

actually the macroorchidism is just one symptom of his disease...Barone's disease

JayZee said:
actually the macroorchidism is just one symptom of his disease...Barone's disease

so that joke gets told at every session too - what the heck was the real macroorchidism assoc with....fragile X? see what I mean, I'm gonna get into the test, see macroorchidism and be like "Barone's disease! Doh, that's not a choice!!" but then what if it is? LOL.
I didn't need to know about his nuts, honestly!

Brickhouse said:
so that joke gets told at every session too - what the heck was the real macroorchidism assoc with....fragile X? see what I mean, I'm gonna get into the test, see macroorchidism and be like "Barone's disease! Doh, that's not a choice!!" but then what if it is? LOL.
I didn't need to know about his nuts, honestly!
yeah its fragile x :laugh::laugh:

Just got done with the test today. I know that most people think they failed or did bad so I try not to worry too much about it. First two blocks were brutal for me. I think I must of been too excited because all my test taking strategies flew out the window. I toughed it out and thought the 3rd and 4th sections went a lot better. The last three were alright I suppose. Overall I don't know what to think. I would say about 10% were WTH questions, maybe 40% were give aways, and the rest were questions where you don't know the answer but can deduce an answer given the info (or a supposed answer I should say).

It's been said before but the biggest thing about this test is not getting shooken up. If you go into it with the mindset that one bad section is going to destroy your career you're in for a long day.

If I had it to do over again I would of done a variety of questions. Qbank is a good learning tool but I thought the terminology used on QBank and the actual test were vastly different. Goljan's path book and questions were good and high yield. I did the first three NBME tests and the 150 released items. But I didn't review them which I think was a mistake as it would of prepared me for the terminology difference on the real thing.

Right now I'm just hoping for a pass. I always passed on the NBME's including form 2 which I took before really studying so I'm guessing that would indicate I passed. It's just unsettling to not know what my score is. There were a lot of times taking Qbank or the nbmes where I feel that I got destroyed only to find out I did OK. Not having that immediate feedback is excruciating.

raidermedic said:
Just got done with the test today. I know that most people think they failed or did bad so I try not to worry too much about it. First two blocks were brutal for me. I think I must of been too excited because all my test taking strategies flew out the window. I toughed it out and thought the 3rd and 4th sections went a lot better. The last three were alright I suppose. Overall I don't know what to think. I would say about 10% were WTH questions, maybe 40% were give aways, and the rest were questions where you don't know the answer but can deduce an answer given the info (or a supposed answer I should say).

It's been said before but the biggest thing about this test is not getting shooken up. If you go into it with the mindset that one bad section is going to destroy your career you're in for a long day.

If I had it to do over again I would of done a variety of questions. Qbank is a good learning tool but I thought the terminology used on QBank and the actual test were vastly different. Goljan's path book and questions were good and high yield. I did the first three NBME tests and the 150 released items. But I didn't review them which I think was a mistake as it would of prepared me for the terminology difference on the real thing.

Right now I'm just hoping for a pass. I always passed on the NBME's including form 2 which I took before really studying so I'm guessing that would indicate I passed. It's just unsettling to not know what my score is. There were a lot of times taking Qbank or the nbmes where I feel that I got destroyed only to find out I did OK. Not having that immediate feedback is excruciating.

Thanks for the input, so you think it's helpful to do the NBME questions and go over them thoroughly? I'm about a week away. Congratulations, I'm sure you did great!

Brickhouse said:
Thanks for the input, so you think it's helpful to do the NBME questions and go over them thoroughly? I'm about a week away. Congratulations, I'm sure you did great!

Yeah I would give them the same treatment I gave Qbank. ie going through them and finding out why the correct answer was correct and taking note of anything important in the question stem. Try as they might Kaplan still has not recreated a test that exactly simulates USMLE questions.

LaurieB said:
If your time runs out, you go directly to the next block so be sure to end the block at least a few seconds beforehand if you want to take a break.

Hi Laurie, thanks for this crucial piece of info. I'm surprised the NBME does not tell us stuff like this (or maybe i missed it somehow).

bolisol007 said:
Hi Laurie, thanks for this crucial piece of info. I'm surprised the NBME does not tell us stuff like this (or maybe i missed it somehow).

hmmmmm, i took my exam yesterday, and in one of my blocks i took the entire time....it definitely did NOT send me to the next block, but to the screen where i could chose to take a break or continue.

felipe5 said:
hmmmmm, i took my exam yesterday, and in one of my blocks i took the entire time....it definitely did NOT send me to the next block, but to the screen where i could chose to take a break or continue.

I thought it was strange that it didn't give me the option to take a break. I wonder if it was a glitch with my computer because I was certainly surprised to not be given the option for a break.

LaurieB said:
I thought it was strange that it didn't give me the option to take a break. I wonder if it was a glitch with my computer because I was certainly surprised to not be given the option for a break.

so did you take all 7 blocks straight through? b/c according to your experience, you were not given the opportunity for a break?

the nbme forms don't give you a break option like the real thing, but the real thing does present a screen in which you can either continue to the next block or take an authorized break. i have to honestly say, that after reading many accounts of step 1, this is the first time i have ever read that someone was not offered the opportunity for a break, and had to take the test straight through.

anyone yet to take the test, take the post about not having the option of a break with a grain of salt. the test doesn't take you straight to the next block, but gives you a choice in between blocks of taking a break or taking another block.

Just got home... started around 7:30 and finished around 3. I can't say I'm thrilled to be done... just tired! Most of the blocks for me left about 15 questions to return to at the end. On about 5 of these I just plain guessed, while the other 10 or so were educated guesses. There were 2 blocks where I only went back to 5-10. I ran out of time on about 2... but all the questions were answered. I just would have liked an extra 5-10 minutes to really go over those I had no clue on.

A topic I can recall being heavily tested is sleep apnea. Random.

Some of my questions were very low yield... as in, a patient had a maxillary sinus infection, and they wanted to know what nasal structure I would pass through if I were to to drain it through the nose. As in, what meatus. Grr.

I don't feel like I failed, but I do feel that it was challenging. Some of the questions were really out there. I feel like most of my studying went to waste... as though studying really didn't help me with many of the questions. It's hard to explain. Perhaps it was because it involved a lot of basic logic and reasoning. I don't know.

Hope this helps. I'm off to VAGUS! (Oh my goodness... I mean Vegas. Yes, I really did type that by accident.)

Pinner Doc said:
Just got home... started around 7:30 and finished around 3. I can't say I'm thrilled to be done... just tired! Most of the blocks for me left about 15 questions to return to at the end. On about 5 of these I just plain guessed, while the other 10 or so were educated guesses. There were 2 blocks where I only went back to 5-10. I ran out of time on about 2... but all the questions were answered. I just would have liked an extra 5-10 minutes to really go over those I had no clue on.

A topic I can recall being heavily tested is sleep apnea. Random.

Some of my questions were very low yield... as in, a patient had a maxillary sinus infection, and they wanted to know what nasal structure I would pass through if I were to to drain it through the nose. As in, what meatus. Grr.

I don't feel like I failed, but I do feel that it was challenging. Some of the questions were really out there. I feel like most of my studying went to waste... as though studying really didn't help me with many of the questions. It's hard to explain. Perhaps it was because it involved a lot of basic logic and reasoning. I don't know.

Hope this helps. I'm off to VAGUS! (Oh my goodness... I mean Vegas. Yes, I really did type that by accident.)

Glad to not feel so alone. After all these posts about how straightforward the test was and how much x and y and z helped I'm glad to hear someone else thought that pretty much nothing they did/studied really stood out as being helpful. Your experience pretty much describes mine to a T.

Heyyyyy

I took it today too...

My goodness, what they say is true, i DO feel like I bombed it.
I'd love to tell you all how I studied, but I'll wait for my score...

Started around 7:40am and ended at 3:30pm.

I think I had a good spread on everything. I had like a 3 min panic attack when I first sat down but quickly got into the zone.
had like 5qs at least on gout - treament, diagnosis, etc, a bunch of TB drug stuff. Really random anatomy qs (& just 2 on arm, grrr). I do feel like I had like 20 qs on kidney alone! Ack. it's such a blur now. I had lots of biochem tho, and I am SO glad I re crammed it the day before the exam...

bonnie

Ugh... I took the exam today. I definately felt like 2-3 blocks were I was completely clueless and I had to go back and make educated guesses on a lot of questions. This does not bode well. How often do people have that feeling and still pass. Everything up to this point was good with the review on qbank 69 and NMBE CSS 1 520. It seems like everyone here is a genius and go through the exam easily. Boy I feel like a shmuck.

nmcorp33 said:
How often do people have that feeling and still pass.
Yes...SDN board scores tend to be skewed....but you are not alone when u say u walk out feeling like 1-2 blocks where horrible. I took mine 4 days ago....and I cant get the sick feeling about one of my blocks outa my head. Just relax and enjoy the rest of ur time b4 rotations.

I don't usually post, I'm what you might call a closet SDNer. However, the advice on this site was crucial in my preperation for the USMLE. I just finished it an hour and a half ago. Have no idea how I did, but I averaged around 7 questionables on each section and of these I can only remember a few (5-10) that I had no clue on. Overall I don't think I bombed it, but I highly doubt that I killed it. I'll post my study schedule later, but for the time being I would say that FA and Q-bank are crucial. I bet that 80% of the questions came straight out of 4 books: FA, BRS phys, neuroanatomy MRS, and BRS path. Know these and spend a little extra time of micro and molecular and you would do very, very well.

I took my USMLE today. started at 9:30 went til 4:30 Boy did it suck.

:scared: It was so bad. I thought Qbank SUCKED as far as being representative of the test. It didn't matter if you knew the diagnosis or didn't, they didn't ask about it. They just asked some random crap...they'd give a case of a smoker/alcoholic who had kidney issues, lung issues, skin issues...so what was wrong with his heart? :confused: I liked the break system for sure, though I did run out of time on my last block...I just didn't want to hit the end button, I guess.

Lots of cardio and biochem on my exam...

There were a few q's that were straightforward, the picture quality wasn't bad, just I didn't know what was goin on.

I have COMLEX on Monday...I'm crashing for now... :thumbdown:

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Recent test-takers who feel their exams were difficult and unlike QBANK: were the question stems on your exam relatively concise? Are they similar in length to the NBME released items and practice exams?

Also, I was wondering if the actual exam allows you to highlight text by scrolling over it with your cursor, as you can do on the computerized released items.

Tons of thanks and congratulations on making it through!

Took it today, will post more details later.

Regarding my experience:

1. Bigfrank's description of his test and preparation was gold. Much other SDN commentary did not match my exam.

2. I had lots of anatomy. I counted 3-5 gross anatomy Q's per block, plus about 3 neuro per block. For Neuro, HY neuro was great. For gross, FA and HY were both worthless -- I had to keep trying to recall stuff from my anatomy course. Preparing for these questions would have required spending time with an atlas -- a big emphasis on where things were relative to other things. Very few embryo questions however.

3. Lots of cell bio, quite a bit of molecular bio.

4. Only one WTF question, turns out it was about a rare disease not even in Big Robbins.

Psychopathology said:
Thank you for sharing your experiences! Recent test-takers who feel their exams were difficult and unlike QBANK: were the question stems on your exam relatively concise? Are they similar in length to the NBME released items and practice exams?

Also, I was wondering if the actual exam allows you to highlight text by scrolling over it with your cursor, as you can do on the computerized released items.

Tons of thanks and congratulations on making it through!
hi Psycho,
Now that i'm more relaxed I can answer some of your questions.

The stems were avg. Some 7-8 lines long, others, 3-4 lines long...so I'm sorry if that didn't really answer your question...I didn't take any of the NBME exams.

You can highlight and cross out with the real thing. Its A LOT nicer than the way qbank does it. It doesn't draw a line through the cross out it just grays the answers you "cross out" you can also highlight

Ah, overall...eh. We'll see what happens in July! Good luck Psycho

OK so this is kinda nuts... but I'm thinking of helping to write qs for a new question bank, so I made a list of all the Qs I could remember...and realized i had like *70* Biochem/genetics/mol bio at least!! The overwhelming majority was answerable with FA/HY Biochem..but I was also a biochem major, and I will say, it came in handy!

bonnie

JayZee, thanks for the info! Sounds a lot like nbme as I know it. Rocks the hell out of the Qbank user interface.

missbonnie, you could get rich selling that list, ha ha!

sounds like I should review some more biochemistry. If you were down to about a week or so, and were deciding between a second stroll through HY Biochem or HY Cell & Molecular, which resource would help you prepare the most for the test you just took?

you guys rock. thanks for the information!

woowoo said:
so did you take all 7 blocks straight through? b/c according to your experience, you were not given the opportunity for a break?

the nbme forms don't give you a break option like the real thing, but the real thing does present a screen in which you can either continue to the next block or take an authorized break. i have to honestly say, that after reading many accounts of step 1, this is the first time i have ever read that someone was not offered the opportunity for a break, and had to take the test straight through.

anyone yet to take the test, take the post about not having the option of a break with a grain of salt. the test doesn't take you straight to the next block, but gives you a choice in between blocks of taking a break or taking another block.

I only got bumped into the next block if I let my time run out. If I finished early and clicked on block end, I was given the break option. Sounds like this hasn't happened to anyone else, which makes me think it really was a computer glitch. So now the question is, should I call the test center or the NBME to tell them about it? I'm not sure I care enough anymore, but I suppose I should let them know on the off chance that it is a problem with the specific computer I was on. Any thoughts?

so i took step 1 today and had a rough go at it. i thought the nbme exams were great prep for the real thing. ?'s were very similar to what i had in my practice tests. honestly i can't remember what the break down of my test was. i know there were a lot of ?'s that had me guessing. anyway, just looking for some encouragement. in the middle of my exam i started to get sick...actually i've been sick for the last couple days. i thought i was gonna throw-up but stuck it out because i wasn't finished with my block yet. then after that i spent about 10 minutes in the bathroom and returned to my test. i tried to concentrate through the rest of it...but was scared i'd get sick again and finished the ?'s very fast. i'm really worried about how i did. i normally finish question blocks early with about 15 minutes to spare. and that's what i did today. i started my test at 7:45am and ended at 1:45. took breaks after every block to drink water and pee and that's it. after i got sick in the test i was too scared to eat anything for lunch. anyhow, before this test i was doing okay on the practice tests and q-bank. now i'm just praying i passed!!!

I never thought time would be an issue for me, but it was so in the actual test. Normally when I did QBank questions, if I wasn't sure about the answer, I'll just guess and move on. In the actual test, I ended up flagging 10-20 questions per block, and would go back and recheck them, so I'd end up with ~3-4 minutes left per block when I'm done. The rechecking though, was helpful, cause I did realize I misread some questions or didn't think as clearly the first time I tackled the questions.

Oh and I studied like crazy, but also felt that the material I memorized didn't help with quite a lot of questions. I suspect that those questions were on diseases that I know, but I just couldn't recognize the descriptions. For example, you know Condyloma Acuminatum's associated with HPV 6 & 11, but when the question describes how condyloma Acuminatum looks like, you may not pick it up.

patuit79 said:
so i took step 1 today and had a rough go at it. i thought the nbme exams were great prep for the real thing. ?'s were very similar to what i had in my practice tests. honestly i can't remember what the break down of my test was. i know there were a lot of ?'s that had me guessing. anyway, just looking for some encouragement. in the middle of my exam i started to get sick...actually i've been sick for the last couple days. i thought i was gonna throw-up but stuck it out because i wasn't finished with my block yet. then after that i spent about 10 minutes in the bathroom and returned to my test. i tried to concentrate through the rest of it...but was scared i'd get sick again and finished the ?'s very fast. i'm really worried about how i did. i normally finish question blocks early with about 15 minutes to spare. and that's what i did today. i started my test at 7:45am and ended at 1:45. took breaks after every block to drink water and pee and that's it. after i got sick in the test i was too scared to eat anything for lunch. anyhow, before this test i was doing okay on the practice tests and q-bank. now i'm just praying i passed!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was sick when I did my last nbme and it was my highest score.

Alright so here's my experience on test day... I figure I should write it now before I forget/suppress it. I went home to NJ to study for it and that worked out really well. I also took it in a local center in Fairlawn, NJ. I really liked it there. It was small and the staff was very nice. Didn't have a problem with taking breaks, etc..it was exactly how it should be.

So they gave me 3 laminated orange sheets with 2 thin black markers & an eraser. I did end up using them for some calculations. Definitely helpful. You write your CIN # on one of them to use to log in each time you take a block.
As soon as you enter the CIN# the tutorial starts & the clock starts ticking! This is true for everytime you come back from a break ..I didn't realize this at first and wasn't prepared for the 2nd block, but it was ok. I pretty much skipped the tutorial and started the first block. I had like a 2 min panic attack when it started..but calmed down after 4 questions (but had to go and redo those qs). First q was on Amiodarone and knowing what part of the action potential is affected.

I took a break after every section, a short 5 min break after the first 2 then longer ones afterwards. I always went to the bathroom (paranoid) and ate a piece of a powerbar to keep the glucose flowing. In hindsight, I should've had some coffee for the later blocks, could've used it! I always finished blocks early and got out about 35 min early.

As others have said, the NBME & released questions are THE CLOSEST to the real thing. I stopped using qbank a few days before (well I had basically finished it by then) and realized how useless they were. I am still mad I paid $400 for it. I would definately advise to take the 150 released qs- first they are FREE, 2nd the interface is EXACTLY the same as the real thing so it's nice to just see it once (easy to use), 3rd that Step 1 estimator thing has data on it to see how you are doing.

I used the "Penn Method" for the last few days (well what I was able to anyway, it was hard to concentrate last few days), and redoing Biochem was the best thing I did because I had TONS (I'm guessing close to 20%) of questions on it. 95% were pretty easy and you just had to have memorized it (I know, easier said than done).

Anyway, I think like half of the blocks were doable, I would mark like 5-10 and guess on most of those, then there were like 2 killer blocks where I seriously felt like I had no idea on more than half of them! It was kind of depressing. Overall, when the test was over, I didn't feel like the month of studying helped. I know everyone feels that way but it just sucks.

I'm afraid of getting my score back. For what it's worth, here are my NBME/released qs/qbank stats, and hopefully they will correlate!

NBME #1 (Mid April, a month before studying as a diagnostic) - 206
NBME #2 (Mid May - 2 weeks after studying) - 224
Released items (June 7, 2 days before test) - 83% (245 according to Step 1 estimator)
Qbank - was getting 75% + on random blocks of 50qs 2 last weeks or so.

missbonnie said:
NBME #1 (Mid April, a month before studying as a diagnostic) - 206
NBME #2 (Mid May - 2 weeks after studying) - 224
Released items (June 7, 2 days before test) - 83% (245 according to Step 1 estimator)
Qbank - was getting 75% + on random blocks of 50qs 2 last weeks or so.

You're a smart girl so I'm sure you realize these data bode very well for your success on the test. Congratulations, and thanks for the feedback. I will do the 150 released items and hopefully I will not be realizing the end of my medical career on Friday.

Psychopathology said:
If you were down to about a week or so, and were deciding between a second stroll through HY Biochem or HY Cell & Molecular, which resource would help you prepare the most for the test you just took?

based on the test I just took, even with my general weakness in biochem and cell and molecular, I would not have spent any more time on either! I thought I had really dropped the ball by not spending more time on mol bio, but it worked out fine (at least right now I think it did).

Every moment I spent on the Goljan lectures was worth it, for in-depth understanding of fundamental topics. That is what you need to get through this beast! There is so much good stuff in there, which you don't really appreciate until you go through it in detail at the end.

This is what sticks out for me:
- NBME a much better indicator of question style than Qbank
- NBME practice test qs generally correspond to hardest q on real thing
- real thing had many more very straightforward questions
- still had plenty of convoluted and difficult qs, but they did not dominate my exam
- really had to read questions! often realize that what they are asking for is not what you assume at first glance
- ran out of time on one block, really had to move on every other to get done in time
- real thing much more straightforward in answer choices than qbank, much more clear-cut, easy calculations
- no under-representation of any particular area: I had anatomy, biochem, cell and mol, behavioral, stats proportionately; not nearly as much biochem/cell as others are reporting; all systems represented, had mostly straightforward phys, some difficult path, pharm generally straightforward. Neuro images in particular were often hard to read; there would be some fuzzy glob and you would be trying to figure out what it was.
- Bizarre repetition of topics, like 4 q on pts with acanthosis nigricans, 2 q on pinworm, 3-4 on informed consent, 2-3 on how to treat minors, 3 on Hox. A few q with coxibs as answer choices, which I didn't expect.
- plenty of eponymous names e.g. foramen of Monro, etc. Also a few bizarre and novel eponyms that I had never seen before!

May I ask two questions? I have 4 days left - what's the best thing I can do for anatomy - of which I remember nother except deep peroneal nerve and dorsiflexion. You think I'm kidding. Is there any point in doing anything now or should I just wing it? I was thinking it would be low yield but I'm nervous now that it won't be.

Second, did anyone who's taken the Boards also taken the Path Shelf? And if so, how did they compare?

Thanks to anyone for their input.

Brickhouse said:
May I ask two questions? I have 4 days left - what's the best thing I can do for anatomy - of which I remember nother except deep peroneal nerve and dorsiflexion. You think I'm kidding. Is there any point in doing anything now or should I just wing it? I was thinking it would be low yield but I'm nervous now that it won't be.

Even though I had a lot of gross anatomy (about 3-5 per block) it's hard to make recommendations.

The questions really came from a broad range of anatomy. Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis, Upper and Lower Extremities, a few Head&Neck. Only a few could be answered with info from First Aid, maybe a few more with info from HY Gross Anatomy. QBank wasn't that helpful either. Topics included nerves, vessels, and muscle attachments, but also where things are in space relative to other things (eg. surgical scenario where you go in X direction from structure Y). 3-4 questions even covered minor things my anatomy course skipped as "unnecessary."

So while I think it's important to prepare for anatomy, it's hard to say what to do. Spending a few hour looking at an atlas could help jog your memory.

As for Neuroanatomy (I had lots of this too: about 3/block), I cannot recommend High Yield Neuroanatomy enough. If you aren't prepared for this flavor of anatomy, I would focus on it, given how close the book was to the exam. Know all pictures, all clinical info, all pathways. I did not have a question on neuroanatomy that HY did not cover.

Brickhouse said:
I have 4 days left - what's the best thing I can do for anatomy - of which I remember nother except deep peroneal nerve and dorsiflexion. You think I'm kidding. Is there any point in doing anything now or should I just wing it?

Almost all the qs I remember were upper/lower extremity and pretty straightforward. I'd put in 2-4 hours, which I think would at least increase your confidence so you aren't dreading anatomy qs. Pretty much everything I needed was in FA, e.g. know which of the 5 main nerves (axillary, radial etc.) innervates which compartment of arm and its general actions, then you can pretty much guess which will be affected in an accident (which was how all my qs were phrased). You will be surprised at how much will slowly come back to you from the mists of time.

Then, be able to read an X-ray or CT cross-section of abdomen and make some sort of vague guess about which organ they are pointing to. Most of mine were surprisingly easy, and I am certainly no whiz at reading any kind of cross-section.

Or maybe I got them all wrong and just didn't realize it...

The neuro I had a harder time with, but I am used to guessing on those so I didn't get freaked out by it!

Thanks you guys. I swear I've been trying to memorize the brachial plexus and those nerve actions for the last week - nothing wants to stick. I think I have some genetic predisposition to not be able to learn them. Ugh.
I am gonna look through a website with labelled brain structures, too.
Thanks again, really.

The worst thing for me was that I made sure I was a brachial plexus expert going into the test.

Guess how many questions I had on it, out of 30 total?

Zero

(not that you shouldn't study it -- but studying is the best way to make sure something doesn't appear on the exam)