Competitiveness of Florida programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vash311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year and I am starting some preliminary research on some IM programs...I'm focusing mainly in Florida. Does anyone know the competitiveness of the big programs here like University of Florida, Mt. Sinai, Jackson Memorial, Mayo, etc? Thanks and good luck to all in the Match!

Members don't see this ad.

Vash311 said:
Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year and I am starting some preliminary research on some IM programs...I'm focusing mainly in Florida. Does anyone know the competitiveness of the big programs here like University of Florida, Mt. Sinai, Jackson Memorial, Mayo, etc? Thanks and good luck to all in the Match!

Hey, I know that most of the programs are "good," not great. Of course Mayo is Mayo, but not the same as the main campus. Fl is mainly competive because of the weather; as sad as that is. There are a lot better programs in other states, in my eyes. I would love to be in the warm sunshine state, but I truly believe that programs in the northeast (NY, CT, MA) and West (CA) are more stronger. I am not sure what your long term goals are, but as of no FL is a very POOR place to be a physician, due to malpractice rates. MD's are leaving Fl faster than any other state.
Good luck with your choice. I know I wasnt very specific on each program, but I tried to give you the overall picture.