Comparison Studies - NP, Physician, and PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I appreciate voicing your concern, but these studies would meet ethical requirements of an IRB. Almost all studies involve some degree of risk. NPs treating patients is not novel; it's been happening for decades.

On a side note calling a NP a nurse is not accurate. I could never have debated intelligently with you if I had not pursued NP education. Call a nurse a nurse and a NP a NP.
All NPs are nurses but not all nurses are NPs. Advanced practice nurses are, by their own definitions, nurses with advanced training. That is why you are one profession and not two, and why the nursing board controls NP practice rather than a NP board. You're a nurse at the end of the day, and that is not an insult, it is a fact.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
All NPs are nurses but not all nurses are NPs. Advanced practice nurses are, by their own definitions, nurses with advanced training. That is why you are one profession and not two, and why the nursing board controls NP practice rather than a NP board. You're a nurse at the end of the day, and that is not an insult, it is a fact.

Ugh, what a ridiculous statement. Calling a NP a "nurse" without clarifying the nurse practitioner certification is the difference between being correct and incorrect about a persons credentials.

This statement is so foolish it is even beneath the trolls.

We may as well lock this thread. Either there is no evidence of outcome disparities or those that don't agree with independent NP practice are too lazy to find any, either way its the same outcome; anecdotes, opinion, and personal attacks.

Ugh, what a ridiculous statement. Calling a NP a "nurse" without clarifying the nurse practitioner certification is the difference between being correct and incorrect about a persons credentials.

This statement is so foolish it is even beneath the trolls.

We may as well lock this thread. Either there is no evidence of outcome disparities or those that don't agree with independent NP practice are too lazy to find any, either way its the same outcome; anecdotes, opinion, and personal attacks.
I've met many NPs that we're proud to call themselves nurses, for they believed that was a great part of what they brought to the table as an NP. There was even an "always a nurse" campaign or something similar about a half decade back where NPs emphasized the way their nursing background aided their ability to provide advanced care. That you have such a chip on your shoulder is unusual. Nurse practitioners are "advanced practise REGISTERED NURSES"- you're an RN that has advanced practice training and rights, period.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met many NPs that we're proud to call themselves nurses, for they believed that was a great part of what they brought to the table as an NP. There was even an "always a nurse" campaign or something similar about a half decade back where NPs emphasized the way their nursing background aided their ability to provide advanced care. That you have such a chip on your shoulder is unusual. Nurse practitioners are "advanced practise REGISTERED NURSES"- you're an RN that has advanced practice training and rights, period.

I love being an RN. We save lives everyday. When I get through my DNP program I will be an advanced practice nurse. I earned the title nurse practitioner. It should be used. There's no chip, there's only being accurate and not being accurate.

I love being an RN. We save lives everyday. When I get through my DNP program I will be an advanced practice nurse. I earned the title nurse practitioner. It should be used. There's no chip, there's only being accurate and not being accurate.
Just as nurses seek to take away the title of physician and the use of doctor in a clinical setting and replace it with "provider" or, in the case of anesthesia, "MDA," I think it's only fair to call a spade a spade. You're a nurse. A registered nurse, legally speaking. An advanced practice registered nurse. I think I'll just call you all advanced nurses from now on, as it is both truthful and fits with your legal titles (particularly in my state, where you are NOT referred to as practitioners in your practice act, but as advanced practice nurses).

Anyway, this is all neither here nor there. At the end of the day there is still zero evidence that NPs have equivalent outcomes in equivalent practice situations to physicians, and I still await that data before I can ever abide letting advanced nurses practice freely upon an unsuspecting public. It's completely insane, particularly with all of the online NP programs out there in which one must locate their own preceptors and there is zero quality control.

Just as nurses seek to take away the title of physician and the use of doctor in a clinical setting and replace it with "provider" or, in the case of anesthesia, "MDA," I think it's only fair to call a spade a spade. You're a nurse. A registered nurse, legally speaking. An advanced practice registered nurse. I think I'll just call you all advanced nurses from now on, as it is both truthful and fits with your legal titles (particularly in my state, where you are NOT referred to as practitioners in your practice act, but as advanced practice nurses).

Anyway, this is all neither here nor there. At the end of the day there is still zero evidence that NPs have equivalent outcomes in equivalent practice situations to physicians, and I still await that data before I can ever abide letting advanced nurses practice freely upon an unsuspecting public. It's completely insane, particularly with all of the online NP programs out there in which one must locate their own preceptors and there is zero quality control.

Feel free. I'll just call you by your first name then. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. You're trolling. Im sorry you have such pent up rage. There's a forum with psychologists, you may want to see if you can make an appointment with one. Just when you call the scheduler, make sure it's not a psychologist who calls themselves Doctor, since, you know, they aren't one. Also, the nurses should have a fresh cup of coffee, your favorite magazines, and a chair and computer reserved for you at all times. Regardless of if you are on call or not. It may be time to start having your pyramid built too, so it can be ready when you're finally going to pass into the next life.
You miss the point entirely, and I'm in no way trolling. You seem to think that we want to be celebrated, when we merely ask that our skill and hard work be acknowledged- we are more competent than APRNs, we have more knowledge than APRNs, and we very likely would outperform APRNs in any head-to-head study. You're an advanced nurse, I'm going to be a doctor. And, for the record, I do carefully select my mental health providers, as I refuse to use hack LCSWs that call themselves "therapists" in place of psychologists, since they don't have nearly the training nor skill that a psychologist has after their extensive work in the field (and no direct study has been done to compare the outcomes of the two, oddly enough). I respect people for what they do and what they are. Advanced nurses are effective physician extenders, not physician replacements, psychologists are effective therapy providers, not psychiatrist replacements, nurse aides are effective nurse extenders, not nurse replacements, etc. We each have our role in the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You miss the point entirely, and I'm in no way trolling. You seem to think that we want to be celebrated, when we merely ask that our skill and hard work be acknowledged- we are more competent than APRNs, we have more knowledge than APRNs, and we very likely would outperform APRNs in any head-to-head study. You're an advanced nurse, I'm going to be a doctor. And, for the record, I do carefully select my mental health providers, as I refuse to use hack LCSWs that call themselves "therapists" in place of psychologists, since they don't have nearly the training not skill that a psuchologist has after their extensive work in the field (and no direct study has been done to compare the outcomes of the two, oddly enough). I respect people for what they do and what they are. Advanced nurses are effective physician extenders, not physician replacements, psychologists are effective therapy providers, not psychiatrist replacements, nurse aides are effective nurse extenders, not nurse replacements, etc. We each have our role in the system.

You are venting to someone who's very name states he shouldn't be called doctor in a clinical area. Why scream a sermon at the nuns?

Post some evidence and further the discussion.