Comparison Studies - NP, Physician, and PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you see the inconsistency here?

You're correct, but you have admitted to being a medical student and I have stated I'm a DNP student. Blindedwithscience is uncomfortable disclosing his education, which is perfectly fine to do, it doesn't mean he can't engage in a spirited debate.

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is for NP/PA/whatever, its why its the "Clinicians" part, its for all providers who don't have their own section. However, since this is the student doctor network, you're going to get more folks on the MD/DO pathway than anything else and that will show in how things are responded to.

The credentials thing was never about arguments not having merit, its about not even knowing how to phrase the arguments in ways that make sense. Its like when I take my car to the mechanic - I sometimes can't even put the problem into words that make sense to him. ...

I know that you and sb247 would not ad hominem, but I know for a fact that others wills. This is an open forum and anyone can respond. He's uncomfortable disclosing his education, we should all get over it.

So, I decided not to respond to each reply line by line (I may do that at a later time), but the point of this thread was to get feedback on the articles that could be used to improve these types of studies. This would mean that sometime in the future a direct comparison could be made between the different professionals (physician, NP, and PA), within different specialties. While many responses pertain to the articles listed, some are not relevant to what's being asked in this thread. This includes, but not limited to, your opinion(s) on the subject, anecdotal evidence, types of authors in the study (since that fact does not mean anything about methods or analysis errors), peer-reviewed journal acceptance rate (since this is not relevant to study methods or results/conclusions), and situations that don't fit a particular specialty. Now for the relevant replies, I will start off with issues about adequacy. If one result was not sufficient, it would be good to know what the article should have done to make for a better comparison, with exception to issues that are self-explanatory, such as sample size or data reporting. If utilization was an issue, for example, what would you like to have seen to where physicans and NPs could be compared?

The bigger question would be what would be an adequate way of having a comparison? It might not be possible to have a study with drug trial formatting (double-blind...), because of cost and the amount of disorders a human can have. In addition, it should be noted that you can find fault in any study. By the same token, there should be studies done that are more standardized on the subject to reflect efficacy within a specialty. And I am trying to get people to respond to what those standards should be, to reduce bias. I'd also like to address one final point.

This is not true. If you noticed in my first post, I did not give any opinions about any of the articles, all article information was in quotes, and I put in bold ANY comparisons between the specialties (physicians or PAs outperformed NPs, no significant difference in performance, NPs outperformed physicians or PAs). I posted articles that made comparisons between the providers found on Pubmed and those direct comparisons are presented in quotes. I'd also like to not to have statements like this posted, to avoid invoking "flame wars". Also, please read above about relevance.
It's easy to do a direct comparison between NPs and physicians. Give 100 NPs a 2,000 patient panel like physicians have, with similar characteristics- averaged out over 200,000 patients, you should have a very representative sample of the general population, or at least enough so that a few outliers aren't going to affect the data care of how statistics works. Compare them to 100 physicians with the same size panel. Look at the outcomes. It isn't that hard. A big health system like Kaiser could easily do this just by replacing some of their retiring or relocating physicians with NPs, giving the NP that physician's exact panel as they go out.

I welcome such a study, because I think the results would be resoundingly clear when all was said and done.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're correct, but you have admitted to being a medical student and I have stated I'm a DNP student. Blindedwithscience is uncomfortable disclosing his education, which is perfectly fine to do, it doesn't mean he can't engage in a spirited debate.
they can continue to stay as vague as they want...I can continue to point out that feigning objectivity and adherence to scientific method while exhibiting some gaps in the understanding of that scientific method, when coupled with pretending that their background isn't important, isn't productive.

When I see a patient, part of my job is to determine their health literacy so that the situation can be explained to them. Their education status doesn't change their diagnosis, but it does change how I explain "I'm sorry but you have APL"

It's easy to do a direct comparison between NPs and physicians. Give 100 NPs a 2,000 patient panel like physicians have, with similar characteristics- averaged out over 200,000 patients, you should have a very representative sample of the general population, or at least enough so that a few outliers aren't going to affect the data care of how statistics works. Compare them to 100 physicians with the same size panel. Look at the outcomes. It isn't that hard. A big health system like Kaiser could easily do this just by replacing some of their retiring or relocating physicians with NPs, giving the NP that physician's exact panel as they go out.

I welcome such a study, because I think the results would be resoundingly clear when all was said and done.

I think that's a great suggestion. It would be best to stick with rural environments to control for patient population and acuity while at the same time controlling for th experience of the provider. A 30 year veteran NP compared to a DO establishing their first practice would have rival hypothesis and confounding factors. The study is feasible as long as the variables are controlled for.

I don't think having a NP absorb a physicians practice could get through an IRB, however. Patients have a right to choose their provider. More likely sticking with rural environments would stabilize the population cohort. Could we find 400,000 rural residents with similar enough acuities to do this study? Would be interesting to investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked about your background because your comments made it sound like you had no formal training in evaluating or designing studies. You said things like "drug trial formatting (double-blind...)," which is just weird. Yes, drug companies will do doubled blinded studies to test their drugs, but that's not unique to drug trials, and certainly all drug trials aren't double blinded. You didn't think that the journal a study was published in or the authors were relevant in evaluating how valid a study is. Your response to how an ideal study on NP/PA/MD/DO equivalence should be set up also seemed untrained -- you stated that we would need to use the exact same patient to really test the variables.

So in several areas, feedback was given on the studies already done and the dream study on this issue, and your responses tell me that we're jumping the gun. If you really don't get why the journal matters, if you really think we need to use the exact same patients, then we need to start with the basics. We're having this discussion at 2 different levels which will prevent progress from being possible. Or maybe you do understand these issues but have a more advanced reason for discounting them -- then, we would need to start the discussion there. If you actually want to understand the answers to the questions you ask, then you would benefit from answering my simple question on background. It won't identify you. But it can help.

This makes some valid points and I will respond to each of them. And for future reference, if you think my knowledge or training could be lacking based on statements I have made, please bring it up, so that I can respond. Another member mentioned an inability or willingness to debate others. This is not because of a lack desire (or ignorance, I believe) to debate others. In fact, I was hoping that people can list their comments/feedback, then I'd add my opinions on implementation (study cost or limiting variables), and finally create a summary post of everything. But, because of the credentials discussion, which I have listed multiple reasons for not doing, I have not been able to do so. With that said, let me answer your points:

You said things like "drug trial formatting (double-blind...)," which is just weird. Yes, drug companies will do doubled blinded studies to test their drugs, but that's not unique to drug trials, and certainly all drug trials aren't double blinded.
I think my point was that if you put too many restrictions on this type of clinical study, you'll never be able to collect enough data to support any claim. The reason I used that phrasing is because there is variability in the drug trial process, but also a lot of regulations. Hence, this is why I used the term "formatting" as a blanket statement. When I made that point, it was in reference to studying cost of treatment, as well as ability to diagnose and resolve/mitigate patient medical conditions in comparing providers. My point was that it was important to explore the latter point before exploring both the former and the latter to establish some level of quality of care. This goes back to the idea of a balancing act between how specific and sensitive you want your clinical study to be. If you were to create limits for both cost and quality of care (not necessarily saying the two are separate), then you might limit locations, where only certain tests and treatments are available.

You didn't think that the journal a study was published in or the authors were relevant in evaluating how valid a study is.

Let me be more specific, the journal name isn't relevant, the peer-review process is. Many relatively unknown journals have great peer-review processes and many nursing journal might have a decent peer-review process. It should also be noted that the major journals might publish a study based on politics, not solely on quality. The authors are not relevant, the protocol they follow is. One example could be the rare cases where notable Ph.D. researchers falsify their data to get published (and are caught years later). My point is that regardless if the researcher is a nurse, physician..., the study protocols should be standardized and data should be statistically significant and relevant. The study should then be examined in a peer-reviewed process. Name recognition ("name dropping") with journals and authors I feel should be irrelevant.

Your response to how an ideal study on NP/PA/MD/DO equivalence should be set up also seemed untrained -- you stated that we would need to use the exact same patient to really test the variables.

Just to be clear, I didn't necessarily mean the exact same patient (Jane Smith needs to be seen by a family medicine physician and nurse practitioner on the same day), but was referring to the same type of patient (Jane Smith and Sarah Johnson in the same cohort who both have early onset type 2 diabetes are seen separately, one by a physician and the other by an NP). How else would you assess the diagnostic and treatment skills of an NP (or PA) versus a physician? For example, how would you standardize for case severity before measuring outcome, such as morbidity? Another point, is that people may argue against having NPs practice independently because physicians might spot the rare cases that NPs cannot, due to their training. How would you collect enough data to test for those rare cases?

So in several areas, feedback was given on the studies already done and the dream study on this issue, and your responses tell me that we're jumping the gun. If you really don't get why the journal matters, if you really think we need to use the exact same patients, then we need to start with the basics. We're having this discussion at 2 different levels which will prevent progress from being possible. Or maybe you do understand these issues but have a more advanced reason for discounting them -- then, we would need to start the discussion there. If you actually want to understand the answers to the questions you ask, then you would benefit from answering my simple question on background. It won't identify you. But it can help.

Well, hopefully the above statements address your points. Some feedback was given, although comments from more members would be great, and it would be nice if that feedback addressed the points I made about implementation and were a little more specific (for example, what would people like to see for health utilization that was not listed in the first JAMA study or listing a minimum number of years rather than saying studies need to be conducted for longer periods of time).

I think that's a great suggestion. It would be best to stick with rural environments to control for patient population and acuity while at the same time controlling for th experience of the provider. A 30 year veteran NP compared to a DO establishing their first practice would have rival hypothesis and confounding factors. The study is feasible as long as the variables are controlled for.

I don't think having a NP absorb a physicians practice could get through an IRB, however. Patients have a right to choose their provider. More likely sticking with rural environments would stabilize the population cohort. Could we find 400,000 rural residents with similar enough acuities to do this study? Would be interesting to investigate.
You're making this too complicated. The easiest way to control for variables is to get a big-ass sample size. If you actually do the math, 100,000 patients is big enough that you can ignore small differences in patient population. Its why European data is usually pretty robust. You also want patients from all walks of life and geographic areas. If you limit yourself to rural then all you're proving is that the results apply only to rural populations.

This makes some valid points and I will respond to each of them. And for future reference, if you think my knowledge or training could be lacking based on statements I have made, please bring it up, so that I can respond. Another member mentioned an inability or willingness to debate others. This is not because of a lack desire (or ignorance, I believe) to debate others. In fact, I was hoping that people can list their comments/feedback, then I'd add my opinions on implementation (study cost or limiting variables), and finally create a summary post of everything. But, because of the credentials discussion, which I have listed multiple reasons for not doing, I have not been able to do so. With that said, let me answer your points:

You're asking us to do a fair bit of extra work just to protect your credentials. Seems like a bit of an imposition to me.

Let me be more specific, the journal name isn't relevant, the peer-review process is. Many relatively unknown journals have great peer-review processes and many nursing journal might have a decent peer-review process. It should also be noted that the major journals might publish a study based on politics, not solely on quality. The authors are not relevant, the protocol they follow is. One example could be the rare cases where notable Ph.D. researchers falsify their data to get published (and are caught years later). My point is that regardless if the researcher is a nurse, physician..., the study protocols should be standardized and data should be statistically significant and relevant. The study should then be examined in a peer-reviewed process. Name recognition ("name dropping") with journals and authors I feel should be irrelevant.

Here's where your ignorance becomes quite clear. The reason people name drop with journals is because the well-known journals are well known because of their quality. For example, the BMJ Open that I was quite harsh about their publication rate also requires something around $2000 to publish an article. The NEJM doesn't charge anything. The reason they don't is because that introduces a fairly major source of bias - money.

The reason we care about authors is because, historically and presently, 99% of medical research is done by MDs. Until I start seeing good research from anyone else, their contributions will be suspect.

Just to be clear, I didn't necessarily mean the exact same patient (Jane Smith needs to be seen by a family medicine physician and nurse practitioner on the same day), but was referring to the same type of patient (Jane Smith and Sarah Johnson in the same cohort who both have early onset type 2 diabetes are seen separately, one by a physician and the other by an NP). How else would you assess the diagnostic and treatment skills of an NP (or PA) versus a physician? For example, how would you standardize for case severity before measuring outcome, such as morbidity? Another point, is that people may argue against having NPs practice independently because physicians might spot the rare cases that NPs cannot, due to their training. How would you collect enough data to test for those rare cases?
Luckily zebras are not as rare as you'd think. My practice is pretty small yet I find something unusual at least once/month that I'm pretty sure most NPs would miss.

Reactions: 1 user
You're asking us to do a fair bit of extra work just to protect your credentials. Seems like a bit of an imposition to me.

I don't think quoting my posts by clicking the quote and reply buttons, plus adding a question or two would take that much effort. And it certainly would be easier than asking what my credentials are and then possibly repeating what is previously stated in a different tone.

Here's where your ignorance becomes quite clear. The reason people name drop with journals is because the well-known journals are well known because of their quality. For example, the BMJ Open that I was quite harsh about their publication rate also requires something around $2000 to publish an article. The NEJM doesn't charge anything. The reason they don't is because that introduces a fairly major source of bias - money.

It is important to explore the protocols and peer-review process of each journal and journal article, rather than take things at face value by looking at author or journal name. To use your example, even the New England Journal of Medicine has had retractions and other major corrections, including unethical use of outside work, http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v8/n8/full/nm0802-770b.html , errors that have changed article data, http://www.medpagetoday.com/pulmonology/sleepdisorders/42598, and misuse of authorship and other questionable protocols, http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhu...s-from-disgraced-research-group/#3d7fa91b28d6. This is not to say that many articles are not of high quality from the NEJM, but that the journal articles should be evaluated individually using the factors stated above (how they were reviewed and the protocols in the article).

By the same token, while the BMJ Open has a relatively high acceptance rate and cost to publish, this does not necessarily mean that all or any of the journal articles are lacking in quality, without looking at those two factors. Although there might be financial biases from funding sources, there could also be equal bias from politics and article hype for the journals with greater impact factors. It's also worth mentioning that many of the journals that charge processing fees do not have the support (for example, a large enough amount of paid institutional members) to pay for the cost of the journal and that BMJ Open still rejects many submissions (submissions does not equal a publication). This is why you can find a fairly high number of journals on Pubmed that charge those fees, some of them can be found here http://www.wileyopenaccess.com/details/content/12f25e0654f/Publication-Charges.html .

The reason we care about authors is because, historically and presently, 99% of medical research is done by MDs. Until I start seeing good research from anyone else, their contributions will be suspect.

If you are referring to preclinical medical research, I can probably assure you that there are many Ph.D. Nobel Laureates that would disagree with that statement. If you are referring to clinical research, there is a ton of research done by Ph.D. scientists, as well as non-physician (DO and MD) healthcare providers (nurses, social workers...), both separately and as a collaboration. Here is one example of a study done by both registered nurses and a physician found in the American Journal of Infection Control: http://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(13)01028-6/abstract. I don't know where that 99% number came from.

Luckily zebras are not as rare as you'd think. My practice is pretty small yet I find something unusual at least once/month that I'm pretty sure most NPs would miss.

My point was to ask how you would account for those rare cases, not to make a statement on how frequently they are found. I would like to hear how people think that issue should be address in a study, if they were not adequately address in the original studies listed. Also, please no personal opinions on the subject. They do not criticize nor defend any of the articles.

As stated before, I thought some of the comments were very good, some were not relevant, some that I responded to (implementation and cost), and some that could be more specific. For example, if you would like more NP independence in the studies, among many other questions, does that mean those NPs can only give referrals and no consultations, if other physicians are using consultations? If you have issues with followups, is that applicable to many of the fields that NPs practice in (urgent cares)? My point about being more specific is that if you suggest a study inadequacy, without suggesting a standard, then achieving a quality study might not be possible. That's why I am responding to some of the comments with these points.

Nice, I LOL'ed on that one. You go to med school to be a doctor and you go to nursing school to be a nurse. You are a nurse, nothing wrong with that. Good luck....

Your opinion is meaningless. I'm no less a student Doctor than a DC student.

Btw nice trolling! I'm sure you're only getting started!

Nice, I LOL'ed on that one. You go to med school to be a doctor and you go to nursing school to be a nurse. You are a nurse, nothing wrong with that. Good luck....
Your opinion is meaningless. I'm no less a student Doctor than a DC student.

Btw nice trolling! I'm sure you're only getting started!

which is to say a cat is no less a fish than a dog......

Could we please stay on topic? I would like to see responses to my reply above for anyone interested. I am also looking for additional members to comment on the studies or current commenters to post additional details, especially if you have only commented on one of the studies.

This brings up some good points. First, it would interesting to use a big health system like Kaiser. You would need to find a place where NPs practice independently. I believe California (https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/care/doctors-locations/#/search), a state that has many Kaiser Permanente facilities, requires physician supervision for many NP responsibilities, http://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/regulations/npr-i-25.pdf . I'm also curious how you'd come up with the number of patients per field for each provider. For example, how many patients should nurse practitioners see in the ICU versus primary care setting? Follow-ups might be a lot less frequent in urgent cares versus many other specialties.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
which is to say a cat is no less a fish than a dog......

Unless that cat, fish and dog all have doctorate degrees. When I will be teaching, I will be Dr. NotaDoctor, regardless of what anyone here thinks.

Could we please stay on topic? I would like to see responses to my reply above for anyone interested. I am also looking for additional members to comment on the studies or current commenters to post additional details, especially if you have only commented on one of the studies.

This brings up some good points. First, it would interesting to use a big health system like Kaiser. You would need to find a place where NPs practice independently. I believe California (https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/care/doctors-locations/#/search), a state that has many Kaiser Permanente facilities, requires physician supervision for many NP responsibilities, http://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/regulations/npr-i-25.pdf . I'm also curious how you'd come up with the number of patients per field for each provider. For example, how many patients should nurse practitioners see in the ICU versus primary care setting? Follow-ups might be a lot less frequent in urgent cares versus many other specialties.
This is why I specifically want NPs to not be supervised in these studies, and to have equal patient loads to physicians. I'm tired of them using studies that are asymmetric to prove "equality." You want to say you've got equal outcomes? Do equal work, with no oversight, and put your skills where your ****ing mouth is.

Reactions: 1 users
Again, please let's stay on topic. Also, please read my last post. For trolling (which really gets this thread off topic), here is the SDN rule:

Kill Trolls Quickly. If you find a member that is clearly trolling, do not engage them (that’s what they want). Instead, please report their post. If you engage with a troll, you may receive a warning and/or more serious repercussions, such as a temporary or permanent ban.

Again, let's please get back to talking about the studies, improved study design, and responding to the comments about those first two.

This is why I specifically want NPs to not be supervised in these studies, and to have equal patient loads to physicians. I'm tired of them using studies that are asymmetric to prove "equality." You want to say you've got equal outcomes? Do equal work, with no oversight, and put your skills where your ****ing mouth is.

And I'm not disagreeing. I wanted to know if the patient amount you stated in that post would be same for all fields (ICU, primary care...). Also, do you think that patient population in your reply would account for most of the rare cases you would see in those fields?

Again, please let's stay on topic. Also, please read my last post. For trolling (which really gets this thread off topic), here is the SDN rule:

Kill Trolls Quickly. If you find a member that is clearly trolling, do not engage them (that’s what they want). Instead, please report their post. If you engage with a troll, you may receive a warning and/or more serious repercussions, such as a temporary or permanent ban.

Again, let's please get back to talking about the studies, improved study design, and responding to the comments about those first two.

And I'm not disagreeing. I wanted to know if the patient amount you stated in that post would be same for all fields (ICU, primary care...). Also, do you think that patient population in your reply would account for most of the rare cases you would see in those fields?
That's the whole point of having complete panels. They won't see every disease, but over 200,000 patients, you have more than enough representation to average out general trends. In regard to ICUs, you'd have to structure things differently, but trust me, no health care organization would be comfortable with conducting an entirely nurse-led non-community intensive care unit with no intensivist support. We've proven that intensivists improve outcomes over non-intensivists in the ICU in multiple studies, I can't even imagine the bloodbath that would result in nurse-only units lol.

Stop the preaching about side discussions, it's wearisome

I don't advocate for NPs being independent at all, especially not in the ICU, so I don't really have a "preferred" patient number

That's the whole point of having complete panels. They won't see every disease, but over 200,000 patients, you have more than enough representation to average out general trends. In regard to ICUs, you'd have to structure things differently, but trust me, no health care organization would be comfortable with conducting an entirely nurse-led non-community intensive care unit with no intensivist support. We've proven that intensivists improve outcomes over non-intensivists in the ICU in multiple studies, I can't even imagine the bloodbath that would result in nurse-only units lol.

ICUs must be run by physicians in all cases, preferably a intensivist.

Unless that cat, fish and dog all have doctorate degrees. When I will be teaching, I will be Dr. NotaDoctor, regardless of what anyone here thinks. ...

I agree you will be a doctor in the classroom NOT clinically.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. But in pt care areas I would never refer to a NP as a doctor.

Could you explain how this is related to comments about the studies or improved study design, or responses to those two comment types? I know that you locked a previous thread about NPs because the thread had "gotten way off track".

Could you explain how this is related to comments about the studies or improved study design, or responses to those two comment types? I know that you locked a previous thread about NPs because the thread had "gotten way off track".
in a discussion about nurses trying to assume the role of a doctor, exactly what counts as a doctor in the medical setting is very relevant

The post above explains it perfectly.

The post above explains it perfectly.

I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to create a true unflawed comparison study that could make it through an IRB.

in a discussion about nurses trying to assume the role of a doctor, exactly what counts as a doctor in the medical setting is very relevant

That's not what this thread was supposed to be about. And for those commenting on whether NPs should be called doctors, they should use the search bar to find the many responses on the subject. Rarely have these debates on this forum resulted in someone switching their viewpoint and have often resulted in personal attacks towards people of the opposing argument. The reason I posted this thread was to have a productive conversation among members discussing the scientific evidence and studies about NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians, as providers. This originates from searching this forum and seeing almost all the posts on the subject of NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians list opinions or anecdote, without any supportive evidence. The point of this thread is to list something new that has not been discussed at length in different sections of this forum. I also posted this point throughout this forum and especially in this paragraph (at the top of the first and second page):

Why should you stay on topic? Because whether you are trying to prove that NPs or PAs lack the knowledge to be independent providers or that NPs or PAs should practice independently because of their backgrounds and other healthcare issues, you should be trying to support your points with scientific evidence. If you find the current studies are lacking in depth or quality, you should be striving to create standards, so that a study can be performed hopefully proving your point. Your thoughts on what those standards should be, should be a part of your reply to this thread (the more specific you can get, the better). This is not a place to state anecdotal evidence, make assumptions, or reply with irrelevant information, and I ask that those people please use the search bar to find the large number of threads that have those responses (if that is your goal).

That's not what this thread was supposed to be about. And for those commenting on whether NPs should be called doctors, they should use the search bar to find the many responses about the subject. Rarely have these debates on this forum resulted in someone switching their viewpoint and have often resulted in personal attacks towards people of the opposing argument. The reason I posted this thread was to have a productive conversation among members discussing the scientific evidence and studies about NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians, as providers. This originates from searching this forum and seeing almost all the posts on the subject of NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians list opinions or anecdote, without any supportive evidence. The point of this thread is to list something new that has not been discussed at length in different sections of this forum. I also posted this point throughout this forum and especially in this paragraph (at the top of the first and second page):

Why should you stay on topic? Because whether you are trying to prove that NPs or PAs lack the knowledge to be independent providers or that NPs or PAs should practice independently because of their backgrounds and other healthcare issues, you should be trying to support your points with scientific evidence. If you find the current studies are lacking in depth or quality, you should be striving to create standards, so that a study can be performed hopefully proving your point. Your thoughts on what those standards should be, should be a part of your reply to this thread (the more specific you can get, the better). This is not a place to state anecdotal evidence, make assumptions, or reply with irrelevant information, and I ask that those people please use the search bar to find the large number of threads that have those responses (if that is your goal).

Come on man. Give it a break. People can post whatever they please as long as they don't break the TOS (which is for myself or another moderator to decide).

That's not what this thread was supposed to be about. And for those commenting on whether NPs should be called doctors, they should use the search bar to find the many responses on the subject. Rarely have these debates on this forum resulted in someone switching their viewpoint and have often resulted in personal attacks towards people of the opposing argument. The reason I posted this thread was to have a productive conversation among members discussing the scientific evidence and studies about NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians, as providers. This originates from searching this forum and seeing almost all the posts on the subject of NPs (and PAs) compared to physicians list opinions or anecdote, without any supportive evidence. The point of this thread is to list something new that has not been discussed at length in different sections of this forum. I also posted this point throughout this forum and especially in this paragraph (at the top of the first and second page):

I will repeat what has been said here enough to be boring by now....it is unethical to propose a study in which you are trying to prove something is bad for outcomes. The physicians know this is a bad idea and no IRB worth it's salt would let us run a study attempting to prove that nurses will harm patients. Asking for it over and over again doesn't change that

I will repeat what has been said here enough to be boring by now....it is unethical to propose a study in which you are trying to prove something is bad for outcomes. The physicians know this is a bad idea and no IRB worth it's salt would let us run a study attempting to prove that nurses will harm patients. Asking for it over and over again doesn't change that

Comparing outcomes with solid methodology is not attempting to prove anything "bad." It is simply comparing outcomes.

Comparing outcomes with solid methodology is not attempting to prove anything "bad." It is simply comparing outcomes.
it is completely unethical to set-up a trial where you intentionally give patients a presumed inferior treatment just to prove that you were correct about it being inferior. You can only (in good conscience) propose studies in which you believe the alternative will be superior/equal to the control.

it is completely unethical to set-up a trial where you intentionally give patients a presumed inferior treatment just to prove that you were correct about it being inferior. You can only (in good conscience) propose studies in which you believe the alternative will be superior/equal to the control.

Yes I know the US Army syphillus trials of the 1940's. No research shows NPs are a danger to patients, although the results might, but the initial study IRB review would not have an ethical dilemma.

I never said that people should actively prove something is true or not, I said "hopefully proving your point" (since many opinions have been listed on this thread). I don't think anyone stated that in this thread. There are numerous studies that compare NPs and physicians (see post #1). Again, I was asking people to comment on the studies and improvements to those study designs.

I completely agree.

Come on man. Give it a break. People can post whatever they please as long as they don't break the TOS (which is for myself or another moderator to decide).

Sure, people can comment on whatever they like in this thread within the TOS. But, if they wanted to have a "legitimate conversation" (as suggested earlier) and not have this thread locked because of controversial subjects, then it would good to continue having discussions about study design and the studies, themselves.

Physician centered care has been the gold standard for decades. If your opinion is correct, and NPs unsupervised are unsafe, then physician scientists should drop whatever they are currently studying and publish a unbiased study with solid methodology comparing outcomes. There should be nothing more important for physicians than millions of people receiving unequal care, and the risk benefit ratio would be in the researchers favor beyond any doubt.

Physician centered care has been the gold standard for decades. If your opinion is correct, and NPs unsupervised are unsafe, then physician scientists should drop whatever they are currently studying and publish a unbiased study with solid methodology comparing outcomes. There should be nothing more important for physicians than millions of people receiving unequal care, and the risk benefit ratio would be in the researchers favor beyond any doubt.
you aren't listening. physicians designing a study that assigned patients to unsupervised nurses with the assumption that it's inferior care would be unethical. If you were part of a krokodil lobby that was trying to get WIC to fund krokodil for kids as an option to formula we wouldn't go and setup a double blind study to kill a bunch of kids with krokodil just so we could prove krokodil is a bad idea....we just tell you it's a horrible idea and point out that you have not found any reasonable studies to show equivalency

you aren't listening. physicians designing a study that assigned patients to unsupervised nurses with the assumption that it's inferior care would be unethical. If you were part of a krokodil lobby that was trying to get WIC to fund krokodil for kids as an option to formula we wouldn't go and setup a double blind study to kill a bunch of kids with krokodil just so we could prove krokodil is a bad idea....we just tell you it's a horrible idea and point out that you have not found any reasonable studies to show equivalency

I'm listening. I've been listening all along. I'm simply not agreeing.

The Belmont Report, found here http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/belmont-report/, states:

"It is commonly said that benefits and risks must be "balanced" and shown to be "in a favorable ratio." The metaphorical character of these terms draws attention to the difficulty of making precise judgments. Only on rare occasions will quantitative techniques be available for the scrutiny of research protocols. However, the idea of systematic, nonarbitrary analysis of risks and benefits should be emulated insofar as possible. This ideal requires those making decisions about the justifiability of research to be thorough in the accumulation and assessment of information about all aspects of the research, and to consider alternatives systematically. This procedure renders the assessment of research more rigorous and precise, while making communication between review board members and investigators less subject to misinterpretation, misinformation and conflicting judgments. Thus, there should first be a determination of the validity of the presuppositions of the research; then the nature, probability and magnitude of risk should be distinguished with as much clarity as possible. The method of ascertaining risks should be explicit, especially where there is no alternative to the use of such vague categories as small or slight risk. It should also be determined whether an investigator's estimates of the probability of harm or benefits are reasonable, as judged by known facts or other available studies.

Finally, assessment of the justifiability of research should reflect at least the following considerations:(i)Brutal or inhumane treatment of human subjects is never morally justified.(ii)Risks should be reduced to those necessary to achieve the research objective. It should be determined whether it is in fact necessary to use human subjects at all. Risk can perhaps never be entirely eliminated, but it can often be reduced by careful attention to alternative procedures.(iii)When research involves significant risk of serious impairment, review committees should be extraordinarily insistent on the justification of the risk (looking usually to the likelihood of benefit to the subject -- or, in some rare cases, to the manifest voluntariness of the participation).(iv)When vulnerable populations are involved in research, the appropriateness of involving them should itself be demonstrated. A number of variables go into such judgments, including the nature and degree of risk, the condition of the particular population involved, and the nature and level of the anticipated benefits.(v)Relevant risks and benefits must be thoroughly arrayed in documents and procedures used in the informed consent process."

Risk/Benefit ratio's are categorized into different classifications, from low to high. Patients are already being seen by unsupervised nurses, as a result this would be a low risk study; no previous studies have shown significant outcome disparities between NP/MD care. As I've stated many times, the risk benefit ratio would be in the researchers favor.

I'm listening. I've been listening all along. I'm simply not agreeing.

The Belmont Report, found here http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/belmont-report/, states:

"It is commonly said that benefits and risks must be "balanced" and shown to be "in a favorable ratio." The metaphorical character of these terms draws attention to the difficulty of making precise judgments. Only on rare occasions will quantitative techniques be available for the scrutiny of research protocols. However, the idea of systematic, nonarbitrary analysis of risks and benefits should be emulated insofar as possible. This ideal requires those making decisions about the justifiability of research to be thorough in the accumulation and assessment of information about all aspects of the research, and to consider alternatives systematically. This procedure renders the assessment of research more rigorous and precise, while making communication between review board members and investigators less subject to misinterpretation, misinformation and conflicting judgments. Thus, there should first be a determination of the validity of the presuppositions of the research; then the nature, probability and magnitude of risk should be distinguished with as much clarity as possible. The method of ascertaining risks should be explicit, especially where there is no alternative to the use of such vague categories as small or slight risk. It should also be determined whether an investigator's estimates of the probability of harm or benefits are reasonable, as judged by known facts or other available studies.

Finally, assessment of the justifiability of research should reflect at least the following considerations:(i)Brutal or inhumane treatment of human subjects is never morally justified.(ii)Risks should be reduced to those necessary to achieve the research objective. It should be determined whether it is in fact necessary to use human subjects at all. Risk can perhaps never be entirely eliminated, but it can often be reduced by careful attention to alternative procedures.(iii)When research involves significant risk of serious impairment, review committees should be extraordinarily insistent on the justification of the risk (looking usually to the likelihood of benefit to the subject -- or, in some rare cases, to the manifest voluntariness of the participation).(iv)When vulnerable populations are involved in research, the appropriateness of involving them should itself be demonstrated. A number of variables go into such judgments, including the nature and degree of risk, the condition of the particular population involved, and the nature and level of the anticipated benefits.(v)Relevant risks and benefits must be thoroughly arrayed in documents and procedures used in the informed consent process."

Risk/Benefit ratio's are categorized into different classifications, from low to high. Patients are already being seen by unsupervised nurses, as a result this would be a low risk study; no previous studies have shown significant outcome disparities between NP/MD care. As I've stated many times, the risk benefit ratio would be in the researchers favor.
Screw the researcher, the risk isn't in the patients favor. I wouldn't subject my grandmother to that trial because I'd know she was getting less than the best...I wouldn't put anyone else through it either

Screw the researcher, the risk isn't in the patients favor. I wouldn't subject my grandmother to that trial because I'd know she was getting less than the best...I wouldn't put anyone else through it either

I appreciate voicing your concern, but these studies would meet ethical requirements of an IRB. Almost all studies involve some degree of risk. NPs treating patients is not novel; it's been happening for decades.

On a side note calling a NP a nurse is not accurate. I could never have debated intelligently with you if I had not pursued NP education. Call a nurse a nurse and a NP a NP.

I appreciate voicing your concern, but these studies would meet ethical requirements of an IRB. Almost all studies involve some degree of risk. NPs treating patients is not novel; it's been happening for decades.

On a side note calling a NP a nurse is not accurate. I could never have debated intelligently with you if I had not pursued NP education. Call a nurse a nurse and a NP a NP.
so we're done with the claim that you'll be a doctor then?

so we're done with the claim that you'll be a doctor then?

I will be in the class room. I'll be a NP in a clinic. I never said I would be anything else. Feel free to review any post I've ever made ok the subject, or read my name. You know my opinion on that. No reason to troll. I won't sign up for the student physician network, but I am a student Doctor.

After reading this thread, I would venture to say that this 'debate' was far from intelligent. It was essentially you cherry-picking some horrendously performed studies with massive bias issues to push your own agenda of DNP to MD parity, which were subsequently ripped to shreds by previous posters. And then, you spent most of the rest of the thread evading questions about your own 'training' and how dare physicians not consider making a randomized-controlled trial comparing NP to MD outcomes.

I would recommend you go to AllNurses - they may be a bit more understanding then we are. But apparently, that's to be expected - we have far inferior training than the DNP offers.

After reading this thread, I would venture to say that this 'debate' was far from intelligent. It was essentially you cherry-picking some horrendously performed studies with massive bias issues to push your own agenda of DNP to MD parity, which were subsequently ripped to shreds by previous posters. And then, you spent most of the rest of the thread evading questions about your own 'training' and how dare physicians not consider making a randomized-controlled trial comparing NP to MD outcomes.

I would recommend you go to AllNurses - they may be a bit more understanding then we are. But apparently, that's to be expected - we have far inferior training than the DNP offers.

Who quoted the studies? Who are you talking to?

You and blindedwithscience. Although you didn't directly quote the studies, you and him/her have been parroting essentially the same material the entire thread.

You want to go out and try to get IRB approval for such a study? Be our guest. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

You and blindedwithscience. Although you didn't directly quote the studies, you and him/her have been parroting essentially the same material the entire thread.

You want to go out and try to get IRB approval for such a study? Be our guest. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

What material have I directly linked in this thread?

Incorrect. The full designation of an NP is an APRN which stands for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse. So calling an NP a nurse is completely accurate.

Incorrect. The full designation of an NP is an APRN which stands for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse. So calling an NP a nurse is completely accurate.

So you're saying "unsupervised nurses" is the same as "unsupervised advanced practice nurses" ???

Ad Hominen powers ACTIVATE!

That's like saying a LPN is the same as a CRNA because they both have the word nurse in them, or 1=100 because they both have the number 1 in them.

You are for sure trolling. As a verified physician you know full well you call providers by their titles or at least the colloquial phrase midlevel.

I find it interesting that the medical trained people on this thread are using pure opinion to try to "prove" their points.

And here I thought MD vs. DO was superfluous.

In all seriousness, folks: There are a few dozen reasons why the "NP vs. MD/DO" studies aren't coming. PA's are irrelevant (love you all, though) because they require physician oversight.

It's been explained multiple times why the studies are flawed, how to create a reasonable comparison study, etc. Posters are just choosing not to listen to those criticisms. Besides, if you want a better study, and you're an aspiring Mundinger, why on earth are you soliciting doctors for your improvements? If NP's are equivalent, they can design their own bloody study that meets muster.

Seriously.... this is getting ridiculous. But thanks for making the first part of my vacation entertaining. :)

And here I thought MD vs. DO was superfluous.

In all seriousness, folks: There are a few dozen reasons why the "NP vs. MD/DO" studies aren't coming. PA's are irrelevant (love you all, though) because they require physician oversight.

It's been explained multiple times why the studies are flawed, how to create a reasonable comparison study, etc. Posters are just choosing not to listen to those criticisms. Besides, if you want a better study, and you're an aspiring Mundinger, why on earth are you soliciting doctors for your improvements? If NP's are equivalent, they can design their own bloody study that meets muster.

Seriously.... this is getting ridiculous. But thanks for making the first part of my vacation entertaining. :)

Interesting post. I have actually learned a lot from these posts. SB247 is a smart guy and a few other commenters have made good, pointed questions as well, that's probably why I keep coming back.

Have a good vacation!

So I know this is going to be a can of worms, but if even one of you keeps your feathers from getting ruffled or refuses to climb up your intellectual safe tree and start throwing feces like a scared rhesus monkey it may be worth it...

The DNP program I am in has a year of identical course work to the PhD program. MD's at some medical schools very well may have less training in evidence based research than DNP's.

Ok, now that I said that, feel free to release the flying monkeys.

I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to create a true unflawed comparison study that could make it through an IRB.
I already told you how to do it, it isn't that hard. Just let nurses practice to the "extent of their training" like they want, and see if that extent goes as far as they believe it does. This study is actually quickly becoming one of my goals in life.