COMP/Western Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alixbd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

Since COMP does not seem to be that popular of a school (there are so few threads on it... has anyone else noticed that??), I thought I'd start one.

So hello, I'm Alex originally from Idaho (now in California), and I have been accepted for the Northwest Track at Western.

If anyone else has been accepted and plans on attending, make a reply!!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m so glad someone finally started this thread. I was actually accepted last November (deferred my decision by one year for personal reasons)…anyway, my batteries are all charged up now, and I really excited about Western!!!

Well thank you for replying! I really think that Western is simply not a popular school. Do you think it's because the area around it sucks? I mean, when I went to the interview, I was extremely impressed with the curriculum and the faculty (which is what I think is the most important). Sure the facilities are a little dated, and the area is not so fun, but the important aspects are solid.

I can't believe you were able to wait for a year though. I just got accepted this November, and waiting till next July is going to be hell....

Congats though, and I'll see you next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was researching schools, I found out that compared to other schools, there was little info about Western on SDN. For some strange reason, a lot of people who attend Western just aren’t on SDN. Plus, it’s still early in the application process.

I’m so glad someone finally started this thread. I was actually accepted last November (deferred my decision by one year for personal reasons)…anyway, my batteries are all charged up now, and I really excited about Western!!!

hey,
i deferred as well
super excited to start school again this summer

Got my acceptance letter a couple of days ago. Still trying to choose between Nova and COMP, but, I'm leaning heavily toward Western.

Does anyone have any information on COMP's class schedule. I've seen the curriculum, but I was looking for something more like Biochem 8-9:30 MWF, Histology 10-12:00 everyday, etc... Does anyone have a link to that information? Thanks a lot!

hey everyone! i just found out about my acceptance today, and I am VERY excited to be joining you in the fall!

hopefully as the cycle goes on we'll get more people on this thread, but i'll introduce myself anyway. I graduated from ucsd last june and have been working as a physical therapy aide since, while applying. I've lived in San Diego my entire life and am thrilled to stay in socal!

as far as the daily schedule goes, I'm not sure exactly...they give you a sample weekly schedule at the interview. IT looks like things are done in blocks...so for the fall semester, anatomy is from weeks 1-12, physician and society weeks 1-12 (2hrs/week), Molecular and cellcular basis of medicine weeks 12-19, Service LEarning weeks 13-19, and OPP and Essentials of Clinical Med throughout the semester. From the schedule I got, they start class every day at 8, have a lunch break from 12-1, and then end class anywhere from 2-5 depending on the day.

I vaguely remember somebody posting a link to a sample schedule on another thread, maybe that would be more helpful...

Yays. Well, it is Dec 14th and here I am!!! Hope to know all of you next year. If anyone's in SoCal, let's hang out sometime.

i just threw down my deposit as well. now i'm going to enjoy the rest of my time of not studying. see you all next year!!

Got my acceptance letter a couple of days ago. Still trying to choose between Nova and COMP, but, I'm leaning heavily toward Western.

I had the same choice to make, and as my family is in the Northwest (among other reasons), I thought Western would be better. But there were a couple turnoff's to Nova... large class size was probably one of the bigger ones. Western just appealed more to me on an academic level.

Go COMP.. Yeah!

Geeze, it's December; why are we so unpopular?

Ok kids, if Pomona is not the place to live, then where??? I have no clue about which cities are good to live in around the area. Anyone have any positives/negatives for which city to live?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok kids, if Pomona is not the place to live, then where??? I have no clue about which cities are good to live in around the area. Anyone have any positives/negatives for which city to live?

Well.. I'm from Long Beach, so I can't claim to know the Pomona area TOO well, but what I hear is that if you would like to be fairly close by, go Claremont or Montclair (yes they're right next to each other). If you want a little further, go Rancho Cucamonga, Diamond Bar, or Chino Hills. Upland has some nice places as does Ontario, but really, if you have any time at all, you just need to drive around and see the area you'd like to live, cuz all these cities have some not-so-great areas as well. But in general they are safe and convenient. Try to stay away from anywhere east of Rancho Cucamonga, and for traffic purposes, try to limit yourself to east of the 605 Freeway.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. Just for some anchoring, I will probably be looking for (most likely studios/1-beds) in Rancho, Chino Hills, and Upland/Ontario come July :).

I sent in my deposit today. WOW! What a relief to not have to make any more decisions for a while! Hope to see everyone in the fall.

image_map-1.gif

I lived in Rancho and since Victoria's Garden mall opened up things got awesome - movie theathers, restaruants, shops. It's almost too bad we had to move. Almost.

Athough some people think Rancho's too far east from school, the location will come in handy when rotations start - especially if you do your rotations at Arrowhead or Riverside.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&...42,-117.745628&spn=0.143261,0.32135&z=12&om=1

Does Western throw some kind of luncheon or anything like that?

Anyone planning on biking to school? If so, are there any good routes that are quick without too much traffic, possibly bike lanes???

I was HOPING that one of my future classmates that is more adept at social networking sites than myself would have setup a class of 2012 facebook page by now like some of the other schools... So, no? That may be a better forum to discuss housing and similar concerns (just gauging off of other school's pages... NSU and TUCOM) and make me feel special!:)

Yes, we finally have one! A facebook group for Western Class of 2012 :)
In keeping with tradition, I named it COMP 2012. If you want to join the group, first you need to joint the Western network. Some of you might have already gotten this in the mail, but for those who haven't, you can access your Western e-mail account by...
1. type in mail.westernu.edu
2. username is typically first letter of your first name followed by last name
3. password is last two digits of your birthday followed by last four of your social
See you guys on facebook!!!

In keeping with tradition, I named it COMP 2012. If you want to join the group, first you need to joint the Western network. Some of you might have already gotten this in the mail, but for those who haven't, you can access your Western e-mail account by...
3. password is last two digits of your birthday followed by last four of your social

can you link it, cause i can't find it

Does anyone have any information on COMP's class schedule. I've seen the curriculum, but I was looking for something more like Biochem 8-9:30 MWF, Histology 10-12:00 everyday, etc... Does anyone have a link to that information? Thanks a lot!

Here you go -- MS1 1st semester schedule: intro to study of medicine, gross anatomy, h/n anatomy, MCBM (intro biochem, genetics, blah blah blah), physician & society, OMM, and ECM

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d4zdgjd_52krtfcjn

Some of the formatting got lost in the upload to google docs, but you get the gist.

Here you go -- MS1 1st semester schedule: intro to study of medicine, gross anatomy, h/n anatomy, MCBM (intro biochem, genetics, blah blah blah), physician & society, OMM, and ECM

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d4zdgjd_52krtfcjn

Some of the formatting got lost in the upload to google docs, but you get the gist.

Thanks cyclohexanol! I noticed that for the gross anatomy labs, it's divided into groups A and B. Does this mean that on days where group A is in lab, group B has the morning off?

Hey thanks! Yays...I finally have a Westernu email account. Been wondering when I'd get one...haha...awesome. Facebook here I come haha.

how do you join the facebook group? it said members are invited/approved an admin.

Thanks cyclohexanol! I noticed that for the gross anatomy labs, it's divided into groups A and B. Does this mean that on days where group A is in lab, group B has the morning off?

Yes, that is basically how it works. Obviously, you are still responsible for the material that the other group learns. Usually people from group A show up at the end of group B's session (and vice-versa) to get a walkthrough of what they did. This gets sloppy however, because often times the group will finish early, then you show up 30 minutes before the end of their session and the lab is empty. After a couple of weeks, you'll figure out when you want to show up, and you will realize you don't need the other group to tell you what they did.

how do you join the facebook group? it said members are invited/approved an admin.

To find the group on facebook, just click on "Groups" on the left side under Applications. Then type in COMP 2012 where it says "Search for Groups". Hope this helps.

See you guys on facebook :)

Hey guys... I actually got that sheet, but somehow managed to lose it. But I can't log in using the method you described... It's not recognizing my name for some reason. Do you know if we were assigned the User ID# it describes on the page?

Hey guys,

I'll be attending western in the fall too! =) Hope to meet all of you there!

PS. Alex, I have the same problem with the email! I'm going to call the office tomorrow and hopefully get it resolved. But for me, my login is totally different, I guess a lot of people have similar names. So I suggest you call them too. =)

Anyone know if we would get a Tablet PC?

Hey guys,

I'll be attending western in the fall too! =) Hope to meet all of you there!

PS. Alex, I have the same problem with the email! I'm going to call the office tomorrow and hopefully get it resolved. But for me, my login is totally different, I guess a lot of people have similar names. So I suggest you call them too. =)

Anyone know if we would get a Tablet PC?

Ehhh... if I read your question right, you assume that western gives you a computer. That is incorrect.

If you want a tablet, you can buy a tablet.

You can increase your financial budget by $1800 to buy a computer for school, laptop, tablet or otherwise.

Do they require official transcripts before the interview or after an acceptance?

Ehhh... if I read your question right, you assume that western gives you a computer. That is incorrect.

If you want a tablet, you can buy a tablet.

You can increase your financial budget by $1800 to buy a computer for school, laptop, tablet or otherwise.

Does anyone know when classes begin? Better yet, white coat ceremony?

Does anyone know when classes begin? Better yet, white coat ceremony?

I'm finding more and more things about the admin at Western that is really chapping my hide, and this is one of them.

BUT, I finally found it! If you go to the website under "Registrar" then "Important Dates", it's in there.

Orientation week is August 4 through August 9 and convocation is on August 9th!!

I'm assuming classes must start on the 11th?

Take it as a general rule that the first full week of August will be your orientation day. The second week will be the start of medical school. That's usually when they always start, regardless of the year you enter.

Umm... have you guys been reading the current interviewees reviews of the interviews Western has been giving lately? It sounds like a lot of people are really unhappy with the blah attitude of the interviewers they're getting. This is so strange as my interviewers were one of the reasons I WANTED to come to the school... Have they rotated the staff carrying out the interviews? It's kind of sad that the school is being misrepresented in this way...

I just found out that I have been accepted. Going to Western. Hope to see you all in the fall.

Join class facebook...hehehe. I'm just browsing SDN looking for classmates to join facebook now haha.

I just found out that I have been accepted. Going to Western. Hope to see you all in the fall.

I know it's a bit early, but i figure most people here are type A go-getters, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm a first year at Western and will have my room up for rent starting in late June to sublet and/or continue to rent throughout the year. For any of you all who are doing ISAC or SMSPP this is a great chance for you to get in and get settled before school. The place is in Claremont (the best place to live around here, hands down) about a half-mile from the village, half-mile to the gym, 5-10 min. drive to school. It's a small room in a 4 bedroom condo with other Western students. The rent is great! If you want more details or have any questions about school and what it is you're about to get into, PM me.
Good luck guys. Med school isn't that bad, and it's actually a lot of fun!

hey, guys, I was accepted to Western as well (still waiting for the letter though). I am still waiting to finish interviewing, but I am glad I got into this school. We will see.

Hi everyone. I was also accepted.

Any information where 3rd and 4th year rotations sites are? Any UCLA, USC, Loma Linda sites?

I don't think you can do UCLA/USC/Loma Linda sites for 3rd year, but you may be able to schedule electives there 4th year. Anyone else care to chime in?

Well, I'm in, too! All my deposits are in and took care of the physical today (my arms are sore from being poked so many times for the immunizations and blood draws!). I'll actually be commuting from Hemet (~50 miles away), but I'll manage. I drive twice that distance now to work, so 50 miles will be no problem! See you all in August!

Anyone else taking the 4-wk prep class in July??

Hey,

I'm a 4th year at COMP in the NWT. I wanted to say congrats to everyone who has been accepted into COMP. It may seem like a huge mountain to climb, but in only a few short years you will be physicians! I am really happy with my training at COMP. I think it prepared me very well for boards, internship, and residency. If I had one piece of advice to offer all of you before you start school in the fall, it would be to study for boards from day 1. Go out and buy FirstAID and then study study study.

Good luck everybody. If you work hard, this will be the best 4 years of your life!

Hey,

I'm a 4th year at COMP in the NWT. I wanted to say congrats to everyone who has been accepted into COMP. It may seem like a huge mountain to climb, but in only a few short years you will be physicians! I am really happy with my training at COMP. I think it prepared me very well for boards, internship, and residency. If I had one piece of advice to offer all of you before you start school in the fall, it would be to study for boards from day 1. Go out and buy FirstAID and then study study study.

Good luck everybody. If you work hard, this will be the best 4 years of your life!

Thanks for the confidence boost - I'm looking forward to starting!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you match and how well did you do on your boards?