COMP-NW versus DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurpleButterfly123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have two acceptances right now and I so confused on what to do!

Does anyone have any opinions on DMU vs. WesternU Northwest Campuses? Both programs are amazing and I feel very blessed to have these acceptances. However, now I do not know what to do. I did not even think I was going to make it this far!!

Any opinion is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! I was just astounded by how amazing DMU was and everything that it had to offer. I am only hesitant with Western because of what I know DMU will offer me. I just want to attend the school where I will do best on my boards and I feel like DMU will push me to do very well.

I agree! I was just astounded by how amazing DMU was and everything that it had to offer. I am only hesitant with Western because of what I know DMU will offer me. I just want to attend the school where I will do best on my boards and I feel like DMU will push me to do very well.

DMU gave the vibe that they equip you to be very proficient in OMM and ultrasound. OMM is always useful but US is especially useful in the ER, cardio and GI specialties. The rotation sites are on point and the Midwest is so welcoming to D.O.s (Not sure what the culture is out west as far as M.D. vs. D.O. vs. N.D.s)

Board is 100% up to you. Either schools are fine DOs. Your clinical rotations will be solid at either places. It's going to come down to which one is closer to home.

DMU gave the vibe that they equip you to be very proficient in OMM and ultrasound. OMM is always useful but US is especially useful in the ER, cardio and GI specialties. The rotation sites are on point and the Midwest is so welcoming to D.O.s (Not sure what the culture is out west as far as M.D. vs. D.O. vs. N.D.s)

You will get intro to ultrasound at either places.

You will get intro to ultrasound at either places.

I gathered from the tour and info session that DMU emphasized US above an intro to US course. They said they try to incorporate it into every system and pathology. Their impressive US lab and availability of open lab time is useful. But yes, every school will teach you the basics.

I gathered from the tour and info session that DMU emphasized US above an intro to US course. They said they try to incorporate it into every system and pathology. Their impressive US lab and availability of open lab time is useful. But yes, every school will teach you the basics.

LOL You're pretty set on your decision. I got news for you. You haven't even touched the depth of ultrasound during your first two years of med school regardless of the so called emphasis. Both schools are fine.

It's going to come down to these deciding factors:

1) Midwest weather vs PNW weather
2) Proximity to home

Choose your school based on the quality of clinical rotations, the rest is mostly up to you.

FYI, more than half of kids from DMU go into primary care and the school is geared towards that goal.

Location is important. Med school can get tough and you wanna be close to where you can get emotional support from your family, friends, etc.

If you wanna be proficient in US, trying US on your classmates a couple of hours here and there will not cut it.
You need a formal training.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Choose your school based on the quality of clinical rotations, the rest is mostly up to you.

FYI, more than half of kids from DMU go into primary care and the school is geared towards that goal.

Location is important. Med school can get tough and you wanna be close to where you can get emotional support from your family, friends, etc.

If you wanna be proficient in US, trying US on your classmates a couple of hours here and there will not cut it.
You need a formal training.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Agree. Having ultrasound during pre-clinicals just sounds like an advanced gimmick similar to sim lab garbage. Pick your school on rotations and location. I also agree and wish I picked a school closer to my family.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL You're pretty set on your decision. I got news for you. You haven't even touched the depth of ultrasound during your first two years of med school regardless of the so called emphasis. Both schools are fine.

It's going to come down to these deciding factors:

1) Midwest weather vs PNW weather
2) Proximity to home

I'm actually waiting to hear back from several other schools before I weigh my decision. I would add 3) Depends on the type of person you are as 1 and 2 may not matter as much to some and more to others.

FYI, more than half of kids from DMU go into primary care and the school is geared towards that goal

Congratulations, you just described every DO school.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations, you just described every DO school.
Not every DO school is the same. There are some differences between schools in the middle of nowhere vs. schools near metropolitan area. For example, if you go to a school where they need more PCPs, schools will strategically place a lot of their students in rural, community-based hospitals. They also have a significant advantage matching into one of those primary care residency programs in that area. It is their mission to produce more PCPs and they will try to push their students to go into that direction.

For another example, Midwestern in IL places most of their students in bigger, metropolitan hospitals and they tend to have a better clinical experience, but at the expense of higher tuition.

In other words, don't pick a school choice based on pretty campus or fancy sim labs. Those are all fluffs. If your goal is to go into primary care, DMU is a great school.

Not every DO school is the same.

Yes they are. Go look at any match list and it is full of FM and community IM. Almost all DO programs will have 50%+ going into PC.

There are some differences between schools in the middle of nowhere vs. schools near metropolitan area.

No there aren't. Again the match lists show otherwise.

For another example, Midwestern in IL places most of their students in bigger, metropolitan hospitals and they tend to have a better clinical experience, but at the expense of higher tuition.

Again, the match list shows otherwise.

The truth is that it doesn't matter where you go to school if it is a DO program. A DO is a DO. All DO programs will tout in their mission statements that they focus on primary care, even PCOM. Also I want to add that this is Western NW we are talking about which is in rural Oregon and is much more rural than Des Moines.

Don't go to NW. So much time is wasted on stuff that is not board relevant such as this new ultrasound stuff they introduced.

Stop believing the lie that you are close to home with NW. You simply are not. Difference is just the plane ride.

Why the hate for COMP NW? Did you not do well enough on your Step 1 to get your desired specialty?
Going for personal attacks is low.

My problem is how much I had to supplement to do well on boards when I paid 55K a year to get a good curriculum to begin with.

And for anyone wondering, I always wanted to do psychiatry or neurology, so there's really no board score other than failing that would close the door on that for me.

I just got my acceptance from DMU today and am now in the same boat. I'm an Oregon resident and my family would be about an hour from COMP-NW. If I want to eventually practice somewhere along the West Coast, would it be more beneficial to stay on the West Coast? Or should that not be a factor?

Reactions: 1 user