NECO v ICO v SCCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sop2023

Reaction score
Hello!

Could current students, alumni, and those applying help me decide on a program. I was wondering if anyone has chosen between these schools and which factors they used to decide. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar decision to make (ICO vs NECO). Didn't apply to SCCO because way too far.

For me a big part of my decision was the cost of living near Boston. If you live outside Boston to save money, it can take 40 min everyday to get to campus.

Secondarily, some people on SDN say that NECO is on a down trend academically (these were posts from 2015-2018 so it could have changed since). And ICO's board scores appear a bit better.

I also liked ICO's YouTube channel if you haven't checked it out. Since we don't have to visit schools this year, having students chronicle their 4 year journey made a bigger impact on me.

Both are good schools but those are factors that stood out to me the most. I think NECO did a better interview day this year. And Boston is safer than Chicago.

I'm a little biased because I chose ICO, but I think the cost of living was def the biggest part of that decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I'm a current ICO student in the class of 2024. I didn't apply to NECO or SCCO but I was pretty torn between PCO and ICO when I applied. I chose ICO because its only 1 mile from downtown and we are in a community that doesn't have great access to healthcare so I really like knowing that we are here providing those services. I really like having the clinic connected to the school and everything is really close, both for academics and just fun stuff in the city. Just my opinion. Happy to give any insight if I can!

Hello! I applied to all 3!! I applied to SCCO because I'm from SoCal, ICO because it's got an amazing clinic exposure and NECO as a close back up (which I ended up reaaaally falling in love with but couldn't get myself to pay Back Bay rent + knew I wanted the unique clinical exposure ICO offered).

I ended up picking ICO and there isn't a day I regret it. ICO is the oldest optometry school, and the history truly adds to its credibility. It is pretty well known and respected in Chicago, and the faculty here are top notch. We get to practice injections (both ocular and vaccines) and a lot of other techniques you can't really get in a state where regulations are super tight, like Mass. or California. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a personal dm! I'd be happy to answer questions :)