Army Commissioning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsgrig36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

When you went in for commissioning, did you make it a big deal? I have family coming down to watch me take my oath. They want me in uniform if possible, is this even possible?

Did anybody do the silver dollar first salute tradition?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

When you went in for commissioning, did you make it a big deal? I have family coming down to watch me take my oath. They want me in uniform if possible, is this even possible?

Did anybody do the silver dollar first salute tradition?

Most recruiters probably leave it up to you to make it as big or small a deal as you want.

I assume "they" is your family? Unless you're this guy, you wouldn't wear the uniform until you're actually in the military and if you're doing HPSP I believe you're only authorized to wear the uniform during ADTs.

Most recruiters probably leave it up to you to make it as big or small a deal as you want.

I assume "they" is your family? Unless you're this guy, you wouldn't wear the uniform until you're actually in the military and if you're doing HPSP I believe you're only authorized to wear the uniform during ADTs.

It is completely appropriate to wear the uniform without rank to your commissioning ceremony and once given the oath have a family member (or two) pin on your rank or slide on your shoulder boards.

That is a pretty traditional way of doing a commissioning ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is completely appropriate to wear the uniform without rank to your commissioning ceremony and once given the oath have a family member (or two) pin on your rank or slide on your shoulder boards.

That is a pretty traditional way of doing a commissioning ceremony.

Interesting. Never heard of that for an initial commissioning. Does the recruiter buy the uniform for you?

Interesting. Never heard of that for an initial commissioning. Does the recruiter buy the uniform for you?
Uh no. There are plenty of ways to purchase a uniform prior to being commisioned. One would include having the recruiter take you to the uniform shop. Others would be to purchase from non-aafes places such as Abbott 's in Pensacola or similar places that make very nice uniforms.

He may facilitate purchase, either by telling you what to buy online or by getting you into a military clothing sales store. I doubt a recruiter would offer to pay for it, particlarly as Class As are expensive, nor would it be appropriate.

You can also do it in civilian clothing. The commissioning is as formal or informal as you desire. I didn't even have family come to mine; I took the oath at my recruiter's place of work and had my advisor from graduate school – a retired pilot – pin on my rank.

shortly after I commissioned I was sitting on my couch one day when the recruiter that I worked with called me up and said, "hey...do you think you come commission someone with me?"

I said sure and he picked me up, we drove to the guys house, his wife was working, he was watching the screaming baby and we did the commissioning. so yeah, I'd agree....as informal or formal as you want.

I had a very good friend of the family -- an O-6 reservist JAG officer-- swear me in before my primary family members and some other close friends of the family. I wore my med school interview suit. Very small ceremony but classy and meaningful. Then we had a really nice meal and that was it... Keep in mind that the reason you're being commissioned is your medical education. The event to be proud of is your graduation and promotion to Captain, IMO.

My personal opinion is that civilian attire is most appropriate,
I would say whichever the person wants is most appropriate.

There is no definitive answer to this question, but don't feel obligated to do one or the other. If you feel most comfortable in civilian attire then go for it, if you want to wear the uniform then good as well.