COMLEX/USMLE for Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popoy

SDN Super Moderator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask those who may know whether or not it would be necessary to take both COMLEX and USMLE to get a general pediatric residency.

I'm about to take my Step one boards and really didn't want to take both. I'm also shooting for an AOA residency but I'm sure there's barely any pediatric residencies in AOA.... please correct me if I'm wrong about this....

So I may end up applying to both AOA and AMA.... which goes back to my original question.... would it be necessary to take both?

I've been told that some residencies want USMLE.... but I've also heard that many don't care.... so which is it, in your opinion?

Thanx for any info you may impart..... :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess no one seems to know the answer.... I did an extensive search on the internet and our library and found no residency program in pediatrics that accepts only USMLE or COMLEX....

So unless someone knows of a specific program, I will be under the presumption that it doesn't matter which to take.... most, if not all, pediatric residency programs accept BOTH COMLEX and/or USMLE.

Later, :cool:

Hey-
I'm finishing up my PL-3 year on the east coast, and here are my thoughts on your question:

Although no residencies officially only take USMLE OR COMLEX, the reality is that the top programs won't look at you without USMLE scores. If you're gunning for a program like CHOP or Boston's, then take the USMLE's, do really well, but don't hold your breath for an interview. If you want a less competitive children's hospital, or a peds program at a community hospital, then the COMLEX will be fine. Good luck, and enjoy your residency: it's pretty darn fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Lil' Gas Passer... btw, interesting screen name.... I've been told the same....

I guess I'm just a simply guy with simple dreams.... I've made up my mind to stay with COMLEX and be that as it may.....

Thanks for the input for those that PM'ed me.... Please continue to respond to this thread if there are any other specific programs that may want or prefer one board score versus the other.

BTW, what's PL-3 I'm assuming the third year but what's PL?

PL = Pediatric Level

Thanks....

hey popoy-

I am in the same dilemma, I want to go into peds and I have to make the decision to take the USMLE-I just mailed the application and the $420 :)mad: ) last week. I delt with this dilemma for so many months now, talked to many people, and still couldn't make up my mind...so I just decided to take it, just to keep my options open. Especially because I want to stay in Cali.

However, here's some food for thought. A friend of mine just took the COMLEX and got interviews at Cedars Sinai, UCLA, USC, Kaiser Los Angeles and Children's LA. And guess what? She is going to Children's LA this June! Super competitive program. I do believe that doing fourth year electives at these places help so they can get to know you, but she only did clerkships at 2 of these places...so I think ultimately you have to decide whether or not you want to take the risk and gamble or play it safe...I don't like gambling...

Good luck to you! BTW, what programs are you looking at?

Kiki, MS3
countdown to 4th year! 3 more weeks! yippee! :hardy:

I'm not really looking into a specific programs but thought I can get some idea of what people were thinking throughout this process....

All in all, I heard from many DMUers that the best thing to do is to do a rotation in the residency spots you'll like to do (like you said you're friend did)....

Otherwise, I really don't see the reason why I should take the USMLE so I've finalized my decision to take only the COMLEX....

I guess I'm gambling it but really don't feel that I am....

I guess I'll think about residencies more after I pass the boards :)

You have spent lots and lots of money on a medical education, if you are not sure what type of program you want to go to, and where you want to be, and whether you want to go into fellowship or not...by all mean why take the chance and don't cheat yourself of not being able to go where you need to...Take them both, it is not that bad to take both...

Take it, take it take it. Pain now, but you will be rewarded with more flexibility later. And even more impressively, if you do well, you will have a lot more leverage.