Comlex level 1 2010 experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that we haven't gotten one started year (at least I didn't find one with the search). So, for those of you who have taken it already, please share your experiences (subject break down, types of questions, what resources you used and would recommend , additional advice, etc).

Congratulations on being done!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp. That answers that. This is pathetic.

Also, not to tie all of you to your computers for the next 3.5 hours, but they've posted things as late as 8pm CST....

I wouldn't hold your breath though.

They should be ashamed of themselves. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

I was JUST about to write this exact same thing. This is an abomination on their part. I'm embarrassed at how poorly NBOME is handling this score release. Disgrace. SMDH.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing for me yet, either. Sigh... It's been 5 full weeks, and I'm still waiting. Hopefully next week I guess. NBOME sucks.

Well, they did tell us 4-6 weeks, so 5 weeks isn't that awful, but they've been telling people all day that scores are released today and all week that scores will be released by the end of the day. I mean, really?

Says "passed" under COMLEX 1 status, whereas before it had said "Taken", "Completed" or whatever. But no score that I can see.

"Passed"!!! That's always nice to see.

But those big red letters are NOT nice to see.

Maybe something will still happen tonight...???

One of the most influential Western philosophers Mick Jagger claimed that "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need!" and today my score validates that!

COMLEX = COMSAE -1B (-72hrs) + 84
COMLEX = COMSAE -1A (-12hrs) + 15

Before my fellow colleagues start their rant about how you need a minimum of 920 on level-1 to apply to FM in Sarah Palin's hometown, I would like to remind everyone that Dr. Still once said "4-double-O = D.O."

Also thanks to everyone who posted on this forum and called NBOME to get information from them….I would've lost my sanity few weeks ago if it wasn't for you guys and gals!

Congratulations and Good Luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Congrats to all who passed :) It's quite an accomplishment! See you all in the Step II forum. At this point, I feel like we're all family!

Passed, thank jebus!!!!! :soexcited:

In case anybody was wondering, I scored 15 points lower than Comsae B (took it with 1 week left to study). :(

Good luck to all those still studying for this beast, you can do it! :luck:

Congrats to all who put in the hard work and never have to take this exam again!!! :clap:

On the NBOME website it claims that the standard deviation of all exams after July 2005 is = 83. Thus, the percentile conversion tool on the NBOME homepage should give you the correct percentile (or at least really close).

Alternately, you could try to make an estimate using the standard deviation and the mean, ie. mean = 500 (50th percentile); +1 std dev = 583 (by definition 34% of the people lie within 500-583, so 84ish); at +2 std dev only 2.5% of people have a higher score than 583+83= 666, so in theory that's 97.5th percentile.

So for example I got 664/93. 664 is around the +2 std dev so I estimated 97th percentile. The tool on NBOME told me 98th, so around there.

well everyone i have been waiting patiently to make my 100'th post. i have been neurotically dreading checking scores for weeks now for fear of failure. i see so many superstars on here, posting XXX/99, it's kind of deflating lol, altho truly i am thrilled for those ppl. anyhow, the scores have come, and my outcome, which i am not ashamed to post:

step 1: 448/78

i am happier than poop on a stick, if poop on a stick were happy. finally, officially, a 3rd year medical student. congratulations to all of those who worked hard and met your goals, whether it be 400, 800, or anything in between. and if you did not, or perhaps you didn't pass this go round, take a moment, pick yourself up, get yourself back in the zone, and pass it next time. it's not the end of the world, tho it may feel it. almost everyone who works hard will eventually pass and move on to become a doctor.

so how did i study? got thru first aid twice, once with DIT, and once on my own. did every question in combank (started off terrible 52%ish, finally got up to 58%ish, with a linear regression analysis extrapolation approximating a 63%, if you count that). highly recommend that combank for comlex study. 6 weeks of total study, about 10hrs per day. got 2hrs of sleep the night before the test, which sucked. had to take a crazy poop at the lunch break lol. didn't have time to take either of the 2hr breaks in between, i was too crunched for time. anyway, its done, thank goodness.

best of luck to all of you. lovin 3rd year so far, this stuff is the reason we put in all that hard work the first 2 yrs...

Anybody know what "score report" NBOME is talking about on the view scores page?:

Important Note: The 2-digit scores reported on this page are equivalent to the 3-digit scores, and are NOT the same as the 2-digit Percentile Rank that appeared on your score report. Please click here for more information about how to properly interpret these scores.

I want some report like the NBME provides.

well everyone i have been waiting patiently to make my 100'th post. i have been neurotically dreading checking scores for weeks now for fear of failure. i see so many superstars on here, posting XXX/99, it's kind of deflating lol, altho truly i am thrilled for those ppl. anyhow, the scores have come, and my outcome, which i am not ashamed to post:

step 1: 448/78

i am happier than poop on a stick, if poop on a stick were happy. finally, officially, a 3rd year medical student. congratulations to all of those who worked hard and met your goals, whether it be 400, 800, or anything in between. and if you did not, or perhaps you didn't pass this go round, take a moment, pick yourself up, get yourself back in the zone, and pass it next time. it's not the end of the world, tho it may feel it. almost everyone who works hard will eventually pass and move on to become a doctor.

so how did i study? got thru first aid twice, once with DIT, and once on my own. did every question in combank (started off terrible 52%ish, finally got up to 58%ish, with a linear regression analysis extrapolation approximating a 63%, if you count that). highly recommend that combank for comlex study. 6 weeks of total study, about 10hrs per day. got 2hrs of sleep the night before the test, which sucked. had to take a crazy poop at the lunch break lol. didn't have time to take either of the 2hr breaks in between, i was too crunched for time. anyway, its done, thank goodness.

best of luck to all of you. lovin 3rd year so far, this stuff is the reason we put in all that hard work the first 2 yrs...

I find your honesty sooooo refreshing!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

CONGRATS!!!! You worked so hard and it paid off nicely! :D

Anybody know what "score report" NBOME is talking about on the view scores page?:

Important Note: The 2-digit scores reported on this page are equivalent to the 3-digit scores, and are NOT the same as the 2-digit Percentile Rank that appeared on your score report. Please click here for more information about how to properly interpret these scores.

I want some report like the NBME provides.

I believe your school receives a report with a breakdown of each subject. If you contact your dean of students you should be able to set up an appointment with them to go over your report.

So I got a 813 on my comlex last night....i thought it was out of 800?

Congratulations. You broke the comlex. I think you should email them and give me your extra 13 points!
Seriously though, good job. I bet you worked really hard for that.

This thread has noT helped me very much, but I'm in a generous mood. I scored over a 750 on the COMLEX. I'm not going to feed you the trash advice and "expert" opinion that floats around on this network. I'm giving it to you cut and dry.

1) if you are reading this and have not taken the test, quit wasting your time, take your ADD meds and go study
2) study the way that has always worked for you
3) eat a lot of fiber. Would you ever go on a first date constipated, full of poop, and bloated. I think not. You will tango better on test day if you're not having to do colon massages to stimulate your bowels.
4) respect. Respect the comlex, as it may humble you
5) dance, even if it's in your own living room.

So what date did you guys take it?

**Never mind, I found out the latest scores that they released.**

Last edited: