COMLEX cut-offs for osteopathic ortho programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any stats regarding what kind of COMLEX scores or cut-offs are needed to crack a DO ortho spot? Are the resumes for those applicants that enter osteopathic DO programs fairly similar to those applicants gaining admission to allopathic programs? For instance, honors on clinical rotations, research, etc. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure not all programs are the same, but here is an email I received earlier:

In order to be considered for the orthopedic program, it is important for
you to know that you must do a rotation here and have board scores of 85%
or above. If you would like to apply to the orthopedic program, you may
apply on ERAS beginning July 15, 2007. The application will be available
to you on ERAS. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to
contact me.

Diane Golba
Academic Program Coordinator
St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center
Osteopathic Medical Education
2213 Cherry St.
Toledo, OH 43608
419-251-6596 phone
419-251-6849 fax

Being an OMSIII i can't really say what they are looking for, but from what i've heard, the most important thing for you to do is to rotate at the place, bust your A$$, and impress the heck out of them. Honors and research are great, but I don't think it will kill you if you don't have them.
:luck:

Im a 4th year currently on the out and about doing Ortho. Every program is different as far as what they look for. I do know of interns/residents at many programs that didnt have high boards. From most the Program Directors that ive talked to, most wont take below avg scores (< 500). St. Louis is HUGE on boards. That is the first thing they look at, if you dont meet well above avg in boards, you dont get a shot. There are those programs that have ppl below avg. though. I got a 598 on step 1, and have been told at several places that I am competitive.

Most places want to see your face and how you work more than anything. Most DO programs "require" a rotation, whether they say so or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have anymore information from speaking to program directors or residents regarding cut-off scores? Any other information about specific programs would be helpful...Thanks

I've heard the same thing about Toledo (st. vincent- Mercy). I've also heard that Des Peres, Botsford, Columbus (doctors) and Grandview are very board heavy and that you need to be 600+.

I spoke with a intern at Riverside County in Cali and he told me not to apply without rotating and having 600+ eventhough they were historically not board score heavy :/

Anyone else care to comment on comlex cut-offs?

At STL interviews, I think i was the lowest board score (598)... I matched at Botsford though. I can tell you Tulsa and OKC like high boards too... OKC took a 750+ student this year.

I am doing an ortho rotation in July of my 4th year. If I determine I love ortho and cant live without it, will it be too late to get a spot. I realize I will be competing with people who will have already shown interest, done away rotations, spent extracurricular time enhancing their application, etc. If I didnt match 4th year, what options are there? Can you apply as an intern? Is it harder to get a spot as an intern? Just curious. Still trying to figure things out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.