Comlex 2 Scores Are In!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUCOMSam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took mine July 27, and even though the site doesn't show that the scores are posted, I checked my score report on the website and it showed my score even though STATUS was still SCHEDULED. I PASSED!!! :) Good luck to the rest of you. Now we can all start focusing on the residency stuff!

Members don't see this ad.

DAMN! NICE IMPROVEMENT! That is very impressive!

I went from a 547/82 on step 1 to a 652/93 on step 2.

Did I get smarter or did the test get easier? It's unlikely that I got smarter. :)

Best of luck to all you guys...

Score! I did exactly the same, but it was a pass, so I'm freakin exstatic!!!

Beer tonight kids!

Members don't see this ad :)
Um I think I became ******ed. Went from a 615 Last year to a 545 this year but the two digit score was the same 85. Go figure, but at least I passed. Hope I don't get screwed for residency now that I actually did worse on step two when you are supposed to do better.:confused:

Congrats to everyone!!

Would you mind sharing what you used to prepare for Level2, please? I am confused about which books to use and what is the best for the COMLEX level2.

Thank you!!

Um I think I became ******ed. Went from a 615 Last year to a 545 this year but the two digit score was the same 85. Go figure, but at least I passed. Hope I don't get screwed for residency now that I actually did worse on step two when you are supposed to do better.:confused:

Don't worry about it...it was such a random test, as we all know. Both are solid scores and I think you'll be fine.

Weird about the 2-digit...it truly is one of the great mysteries of the universe....

Results finally.....that was beyond painful. 635 step I with improvement to 684 step II, NBOME's 2-digit score is their most powerful voodoo magic yet. I still stand by my arguement that the test is complete garbage.

I really don't get it, I improved my score on USMLE step II but somehow lost ground on COMLEX step II. :rolleyes:

Failed COMLEX II for third time, taken out of rotations in residency program. Going back to my school to speak with dean. Don't know if I have graduated b/c this exam is required. What do I do? I have used USMLEworld, secrets, B&W, Crush, Current and Harrison. 348, 389, 392 are my three scores.
What can I do to study?? Please help ..

Failed COMLEX II for third time, taken out of rotations in residency program. Going back to my school to speak with dean. Don't know if I have graduated b/c this exam is required. What do I do? I have used USMLEworld, secrets, B&W, Crush, Current and Harrison. 348, 389, 392 are my three scores.
What can I do to study?? Please help ..

Well, judging by that trend... the 4th time will be the charm. You are so close to that 400 mark! Ya know... USMLEWorld works for USMLE, but I personally didn't think it helped for COMLEX (except for maybe a few q's). Have you considered doing the Kaplan COMLEX Review? I haven't done it, but I have heard from classmates that it's worth it, since it's supposedly one of the few resources geared toward COMLEX. Easier said than done, I know, but your biggest hurdle is going to be simply trying to relax and take the test without stress. I am a VERY AVERAGE STUDENT and I am not all about studying for COMLEX (probably bad advice, but true). I studied 2 days before taking Step 2 and did fine on that test. It's all about attitude going into it. if you're confident that you really DO know your stuff (or at least enough to pass), then just take a deep breath and start clicking away and don't second guess your answers, and you'll be golden! Just my advice though... BEST Of LUCK! You can and WILL succeed at this... don't lose hope now... you've come too far!

Does anybody know what the hell the two digit scores mean? I got a 615/85 on Level 1 and a 545/85 on Level 2. Does this mean that I did the same as last year? I think I did much worse. If any body knows, that would be great.

That question is one that will never be answered because I don't think the NBOME even knows what the two-digit score means.:confused: I have been trying to figure it out since COMLEX I and now with your result of COMLEX II it only confirms my thoughts that NO ONE KNOWS!!!! Heres the kicker how are MD programs suppose to interpret the score if we, the students who took the test can't even tell them what it means. My advice is if you have USMLE don't even submit COMLEX. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two digit score is a standardized percentile that they use to make an even playing field for everyone while the three digit score is more of a raw score per test. Not all of the questions on the tests that we take are actually applied to our score, some of them are new questions that they are screening to assess the difficulty. By doing so, the testing board knows the difficulty of each question based on their analysis of students' performance on the question in the past. The three digit score is a raw score for the test that doesn't include the newer questions that they're just screening for future use, however it does include your performance on the pre-screened questions. You may have taken a more difficult test relative to other people who have taken the boards at the same time since all tests are randomized. Therefore, if you got a lower three digit score than someone else, using their grading methods you can still be ranked just as high as someone who got a higher three digit score simply because your test was more difficult. If you got the same two digit score on step 2 as you did on step 1, then you essentially have achieved the same performance level.:) :luck:

Good thought but I don't think so because they also send out a percentile with the test. So you not only get a 3 digit score and a two digit score as well as a percentile. For example an 82 two digit with a percentile of 70% and someone else get 81 two digit and 55%. The two digit makes no sense and it does not relate to the USMLE and confuses the program directors and that is straight from a chief resident. They have no way of comparing it.

Congrats to all who passed COMLEX II! For those of you that improved on your Step I score, what do you think the key was to your success? I have heard from many people that practice questions are the key to getting a good score. Unfortunately, I have also heard that the exam is poorly written and that some of the questions are very vague. So how did you get through those types of questions? And did you find any question banks that were similar to COMLEX question style? Thanks for all your help. And congrats!!!:D

Congrats to all who passed COMLEX II! For those of you that improved on your Step I score, what do you think the key was to your success? I have heard from many people that practice questions are the key to getting a good score. Unfortunately, I have also heard that the exam is poorly written and that some of the questions are very vague. So how did you get through those types of questions? And did you find any question banks that were similar to COMLEX question style? Thanks for all your help. And congrats!!!:D

I don't think I prepared any differently than anyone else--did lots of Q's and read First Aid--so I really have no idea why I improved so much. I was actually very shocked.

I think the thing is, when you are answering questions, don't think too much. I know that doesn't help much, but don't second guess yourself. They will not give you enough information, and you will have to assume a lot. I assumed "most common" whenever I was in doubt...and it seemed to work.

I didn't go back and change any answers, if it was weird (like about 40% of the the q's) I never doubted my gut response.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you. I have never been a great test taker...so I was surprised to do as well as I did. I wish I could give you a magic bullet, but I don't think there is one for this test.

Best of luck!

ps--UW questions are harder than either COMLEX or USMLE. Will they prepare you for the types of questions you will see on COMLEX? Not really. But it's good practice and an excellent review.

West14 - I think for step 2 First Aid, USMLEworld, and boards and wards. Also Savarees is very important. Alot of people blow off OMT and get hurt by that. Despite other posts you can study for Comlex. I also disagree that the USMLE is so much better of a test. I took both and passed both-roughly the same break down in score. To be honest I enjoyed Comlex, yes there where some silly questions but hey overall I didn't think it was bad.

I studied for a month 4-5 hours a day for 2 weeks, then 8-10 hours for the last 2 weeks. Maybe I studied to much, but for me it's always better to overstudy. I'm not real fond of secrets, just not my style, but others have done well.

Alot of people have too many materials. That's why I think the above is all you need. Good luck

I studied for a total of 15 hrs over a time-span of 1.5weeks before the test... did ONLY USMLEWorld and looked over the Viscero-somatic reflexes and improved my score by over 100pts from Step 1. Of course, I took step 1 with a fever of 104 (no lie). By the way, I'm smack-dab in the middle of the normal curve. Bottom line, you know the stuff already and COMLEX has an art of designing a test that is nearly impossible to study for. Best of luck!

Took it on Aug 18. Still waiting for results. Not too excited to get my scores back though. Just hoping I passed.

Cyndi

Still waiting!!!! Is anyone else as anxious as I am? Seriously, I feel like the only dork here. Well... me and obviously everyone who took it in july (see previous posts for details). :p

uptil aug 26th.

i passed:)
now the battle of figuring out what my score means.

i was trying to figure out my percentile by using the SD.
however, my sd for 3 digit vs. 2 digit scores are totoally different!!!!!!
anyone know what this means??
the differ my MORE than one standard deviation. how can that be?!

Took the beast on 08/22/06. Results available online on 09/29/06

COMLEX 1 645 87
COMLEX 2 681 95

Hooray.

My 3 digit went down slightly, but my 2 digit went up. whatever that means. did i do better or worse?

Anyone know if are Step II scores are automatically transmitted to ERAS?? or do we have to resubmit?