Coming back to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allosteopath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Canadians!

I just wanted to make this post because I stumbled across something, which perhaps some of you international students abroad may want to consider. Especially if you are having trouble matching back home.

Specifically as written on the CAF website.

What is the MOTP Surge?
The Medical Officer Training Plan (MOTP) Surge is a collaborative initiative between participating Family Medicine Residency Programs across Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) which provides an opportunity for medical students who remain unmatched after the second round in the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) to apply for a residency position in Family Medicine and subsidization through the CAF.

Who is eligible for the MOTP Surge?
In order to be eligible for the MOTP Surge, you must:
  1. be a Canadian citizen;
  2. have obtained your medical degree. Please note that anyone who has obtained their medical education from a non-Canadian university is required to have their education evaluated to a Canadian standard;
  3. have participated in the match process of the CaRMS in 2019; and
  4. pass the screening process (e.g., medical, interview, security/background checks) for enrolment in the CAF.

I know going abroad for Canadians can be especially risky, but there are certainly opportunities that you can take advantage of!

Members don't see this ad.