Coming back to Canada from Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddub55

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a Canadian at Sydney who's graduating this year and applying through Carms this spring. With regard to returning to Canada once graduating, the chances of getting a spot in a specialty training program are very slim. Getting into family medicine won't be a problem, but getting a training spot in a popular province (ie BC) will be difficult.

When I started the GMP course I was told by the president of the Medical Council of Canada that I would have "no problem coming back to Canada to train in a specialty, as residency training positions would be increased by then." This has happened on a very small scale, but also remember that Canadian med schools have increased their enrollment, leaving less residency spots for in international medical graduates, which is what you will be considered.

In order to come back to Canada for residency training, you need to write the Medical Council of Canada Evaluatng Exam before graduating. That's pretty much it. Unless of course you would like to live in Ontario, where they have a retraining program (that I know nothing about).

If you decide to stay in Australia to to do specialty training you will be fine to come back to Canada and practice. I think the countries have an agreement. But you won't have to worry about that for about another 10+years, as post grad training is longer here in Oz.

The other option is to write the American exams (USMLE) and apply there for specialty training. This is what most of the Canadians in my year have done.

I'm glad I chose to come to Sydney to study med and I personally wouldn't have done things differently. However, if you're not in a rush to start med, why not try applying to Canadian schools one more time?

Bottom line: you don't have much choice when applying back to Canada for residency training, so just be prepared for limited options. If you're happy going into family medicine in Canada, then I fully recommend Sydney Uni.

Good luck!

I am also a Canadian studying at USyd and would have to agree with everything adnexa said. If you are looking to get into a competitive specialty or you want to train in a large/desirable location then going international (not only to Sydney) is not the best move. If you are ok with training in Australia or the US then University of Sydney is definitely a good idea.

My advice would be if you are close to competitive at Canadian schools and don't mind waiting a year, then work hard to buff up your application and try again for Canada. At the same time bear in mind that medical school admission is getting more competitive everywhere so passing on a place should not be done lightly. For example this year around 225 students were interviewed for the 50-60 international spots whereas last year only around 175 were interviewed. In addition there is talk of local students being allowed to compete for the international spots if they will pay the fees. So things are definitely getting more competitive. Best of luck with your decision....it's a tough one and make sure you make it after serious thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
[deleted]

Last edited:
Hey,
I just finished my first year.....good luck getting everything ready to go and see you in Sydney.

I'm not sure about having to become a permanent resident for training in Australia. I don't think you do but if you can do it, it makes it easier to get some of the more desirable spots.

hey just wondering, what was your average like .. to get into Usyd?

hey everyone,

I have to say that I am also quite encouraged by these responses to ddub55's message since I also enrolled at the University of Sydney for Feb 2005. However, I also applied to Canadian universities with the intention of flying back for interviews. Did any of you find yourselves in the same position as me? Based on the fact that I would want to do a residency in canada (either in family practice or pediatrics) following my 4 years, should I definitely grab at the opportunity to study in Canada if it is offered? I know that Adnexa said that they wouldn't have done anything differently in terms of picking Sydney Uni.

Now I know that you have all posted information about the possibilities offered to canadian citizens heading back to Canada after studying in Australia. Could anyone send me the people/official website/contact information that they used to be as confident in their understanding of the medical system policies?

Thanks in advance,
Andreanne

I would absolutely take a slot in Canada if offered. According to the CaRMS website there were only two positions in peds last year available after the first iteration (both from Saskatchewan IIRC). It's a moderately competitive specialty. There were 124 family practice vacancies, but chances are you'll have to compromise on location. Not the end of the world, but not something I'd voluntarily accept...

Here's the source of my info:
http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/statistics/report/re_2004

Best of luck wherever you end up! :)

[deleted]

Last edited:
thanks to both of you,

I really appreciate your thoughts. Best of luck to you as well!
=)

andreanne

Andreanne said:
should I definitely grab at the opportunity to study in Canada if it is offered?

If practicing in Canada is a lifelong dream and ultimate goal, then do it.

Sydney is a good alternative and don't forget that the journey is just as important or perhaps more important than the destination because you might not always end up where you planned... :)

Good luck with your interview.

You won't be the only student who has flown back home for an interview.... ;)

Hi
Hope you guys can help, I have lots of questions
1. I was wondering if it was difficult to get residency positions in Australia if you graduate from an Australian uni as a Canadian?
2. Would any of you consider staying in Australia after graduating.
3. I'm not sure if I understood this correctly but if you do get a residency position in Australia, is it then possible to return to Canada?
4. How are you guys funding your education?
Thanks so much
Mars

I know this is years later, but I just posted on the forum asking the same questions you did a few years ago. I am curious to know how it went.
Did you end up going to USyd? if so, how was the process of coming back? (or did you stay there).

Hey everyone,
Pretty new to this forum, but I've got a question for CDN students studying medicine in Australia (i.e. Sydney).

I'm a Canadian student who just got accepted to U Syd med school, but I'm still trying to figure out whether I really want to go or not. I think it'd be a great experience, but I'm really quite concerned about how hard it would be to come back and practice in Canada once I'm done.

So, basically, the question is: what would I have to do to get back to Canada once I graduate from U Syd?

My whole decisions hinges on this one question. lol.

Thanks for your help!
It'd be like jumping between fire and ice.