Combined Neuropathology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealRobinCook

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering about the competitiveness for combined AP/NP program for a US med student? I know most of these are at top programs and there are only 1-2 spots per program but unsure how many applicants there are per year. I don't have a PhD but my scores are competitive and have some research.
Also interested in comments on not doing CP if I am interested in going into academic neuropath.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think FP/NP may be available. ( MAY). In any event, a number of FPs have been deep into NP and vice versa.
But, you would have to be able to tolerate the FP.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think these are very competitive. Even though there are not many such specified programs, any place that has an NP fellowship can probably make this happen.

I would bet many of these programs go unfilled. In general, NP fellowships are academic and not competitive.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think FP/NP may be available. ( MAY). In any event, a number of FPs have been deep into NP and vice versa.
But, you would have to be able to tolerate the FP.
There are only a few FP fellowship programs that offer a second year in forensic NP and forensic cardiac path. These don't lead to NP board certification.
Just adds some expertise.
The most famous one is NYOCME.

There is not such thing as FP/NP residency or AP/FP combination, other than what described above.

There are only a few FP fellowship programs that offer a second year in forensic NP and forensic cardiac path. These don't lead to NP board certification.
Just adds some expertise.
The most famous one is NYOCME.

There is not such thing as FP/NP residency or AP/FP combination, other than what described above.

I was never sure about that Hirsch must have started the NYC one because he was big into forensic neuropath as were some of his prodigy. Lindenberg, ages ago had a big FP presence in B’more but he may have been strictly NP from across the street at the med school. With the cardiac stuff it was Renu Virmani from AFIP but she was not FP trained.

There are only a few FP fellowship programs that offer a second year in forensic NP and forensic cardiac path.
There is only one at NYC OCME, and you are correct, it does not lead to NP board eligibility/certification.

Reactions: 1 user
There is only one at NYC OCME, and you are correct, it does not lead to NP board eligibility/certification.

NP boards for FP are overkill. You don’t need all the peripheral nerve, muscle and tumor trivia. The areas of FP NP are very much focused on gross/traumatic NP and regular “brain cuttings” usually for a big office or shared with a local academic place.

As long as the OP applies broadly, competitive scores and some research background should be enough. Some of the medium-to-smaller programs with NP fellowships may pressure you to do CP though - they really want coverage for CP call/blood bank, so just be mindful that it may be a deal-breaker for some of these programs in ranking you competitively after telling them you'll only do AP/NP.

NP boards for FP are overkill. You don’t need all the peripheral nerve, muscle and tumor trivia. The areas of FP NP are very much focused on gross/traumatic NP and regular “brain cuttings” usually for a big office or shared with a local academic place.

Three years of fellowship (NP/FP) is tough to swallow. The one criticism I've heard from graduates of the NYCOCME NP program is that they were left uncomfortable interpreting some histopath findings that they probably would have gotten a better handle on in a board-able NP fellowship. In some rare once in a career cases, NP board certification may be worth its weight in gold in the courtroom. Still don't think spending an extra year in fellowship for that is worth it.

As long as the OP applies broadly, competitive scores and some research background should be enough. Some of the medium-to-smaller programs with NP fellowships may pressure you to do CP though - they really want coverage for CP call/blood bank, so just be mindful that it may be a deal-breaker for some of these programs in ranking you competitively after telling them you'll only do AP/NP.

Three years of fellowship (NP/FP) is tough to swallow. The one criticism I've heard from graduates of the NYCOCME NP program is that they were left uncomfortable interpreting some histopath findings that they probably would have gotten a better handle on in a board-able NP fellowship. In some rare once in a career cases, NP board certification may be worth its weight in gold in the courtroom. Still don't think spending an extra year in fellowship for that is worth it.
How broadly do you recommend applying? I was thinking around 10-15 programs. I am trying to stay at a large academic center because I would like to stay in academics when finished.

I agree. Send that stuff out for consult. Just know your developmental, toxic and traumatic stuff well.

How broadly do you recommend applying? I was thinking around 10-15 programs. I am trying to stay at a large academic center because I would like to stay in academics when finished.

If you intend on academic FP/NP and NOT work in an ME office you will need boards in both and do the publish or perish/teach stuff. And there are few enough programs (i am assuming, i know) that i would apply to all.

If you intend on academic FP/NP and NOT work in an ME office you will need boards in both and do the publish or perish/teach stuff. And there are few enough programs (i am assuming, i know) that i would apply to all.
I am more intending on only doing academic NP without the FP, so I want to try to match AP/NP so that I can cut a year off of the training. Unsure of the total number of combined AP/NP programs that exist but I think the number is pretty low. Will probably take your advice and apply to all of them.

I am more intending on only doing academic NP without the FP, so I want to try to match AP/NP so that I can cut a year off of the training. Unsure of the total number of combined AP/NP programs that exist but I think the number is pretty low. Will probably take your advice and apply to all of them.

Correct. There can’t be many of them either so it would be
appropriate to apply to all