MA/MS Combined masters of clinical and mental health and school counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my masters in clinical mental health right now. To double up and go the school route as well as continuing my mental health emphasis, there is only one extra semester added to my program, which is an internship.

The thing is I don't know if I will like working in a school setting. Or how much I really like kids. I've worked with children before and it was so-so. Sounds bad, but I have no interest in working with special needs children. That takes a certain kind of person and I am not that person.

However, going the dual path now could serve as a back up plan and provide me with more job opportunities. The school schedule of summers off also seems nice. Sorry if I sound wayy too superficial right now. Just being honest.

Do you think it's worth it to do the dual track?

Members don't see this ad.

How does a summer internship give you experience in a school setting? Just the rhetorical question that popped into my mind. No need to answer. :)
As far as your question goes, when i was in training, I didn't pass up opportunities for more diverse experiences and that has always paid off for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm of a similar mindset of taking all opportunities for more diverse experience if you can make it work with your schedule, especially when it seems so relatively easy/convenient to do (just add a few more months before entering the job market). You might surprise yourself. And even if you don't enjoy it, there's a good chance you'll pick up more than a few things during that training that would be relevant to whatever you end up doing in the future, even if you stick with adults. I've often been pleasantly surprised in that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your replies. :)
I think I'm going to stick with the dual track.