Columbia vs University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cebublue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incredibly excited for med school and very torn about this decision. I know I can't go wrong either way. I am very interested in surgical subspecialties like OBGYN or maybe General surgery, but the fact is I haven't decided what specialty I'd like to go into so am really looking for the best opportunities to explore specialties and then becoming competitive for whichever I choose.

Columbia (Fin Aid TBD, but likely less costly than UMich)

Pros

• Prestige, has a strong reputation in and outside of medicine (lvy) - I've heard this is important for matching from residents
  • Higher USNW ranking - 3rd overall?? (I know it doesn't really mean much, but idk)
  • Better financial aid offer
  • A diverse student body that is enthusiastic and seems to really like it there
    • VP&S club - students are involved in a lot outside of their classes
  • Has a lot of global health opportunities (important because I'd love to go abroad)
  • Diverse patient population
  • NYC has an endless amount of things to do
  • The medical education building is incredible
  • Am a single pringle so would love to meet someone - NYC seems like the "place to be" in your young twenties
  • No need to keep a car for anything! (Love my car, but the added cost stresses me out)
Cons
  • I am very NOT a city person - most of my hobbies are "outdoorsy" sports. City makes me feel cramped, however, I've been told that Washington Heights has a smaller community vibe. Director told me my activities were still feasible during interview day, but unconvinced
  • 1.5 year preclinical (see below)
  • Not P/F for clerkships, although I realize this is standard at most schools
  • Everything in NYC seems jam-packed and fast-paced
  • Washington Heights, I've been told, isn't the nicest area
  • Cost of living in NYC is insane! However, I realize now that A2 isn't that much better...

UMich (~In state but still...somehow...300k / 4 years)
Pros
  • 45 min away from family - complicated family situation though so is both a pro and a con. Moved away for undergrad because I couldn't handle one parent, but really really missed my other parent. It's going to suck either way
  • Paths of Excellence and Branches
  • Probably one of the best interview experiences I had - a ton of activity from the school in the post-admission "Slack" with events. They really seem to care for their students. Have reached out to a ton of upperclassmen and they were all incredibly nice and helpful.
  • 1 year P/F preclinical which is awesome and 2nd year clinicals for earlier exposure, with 3rd being open for going abroad, research, etc
  • USWNR ~#15, but also has a super high PD score - 3rd
    • Residencies seem to really like UMich since the earlier clinical experience makes students function like interns earlier with more practice / comfort in clinical settings...or so I am told
  • Seems to have a great deal of opportunities and clubs, but I am not sure if this is because they advertised them really well during the interview sessions
  • Great match list
    • My dream school since I was young, but honestly didn't let myself dream any "bigger"
  • A2 is v conducive to my hobbies!

Cons
  • Graded Clinicals and AOA
  • C O S T is killing me right now. Cost of living in A2 is much higher than I assumed so am screwed either way it seems
  • Definite drop in USWN ranking - not sure this is that bad still T20
  • Matches a ton back to UMich - would really love to go back to the east coast for residency
  • Too close to family - complicated family situation though so is both a pro and a con. Moved away for undergrad because I couldn't handle one parent, but really really missed my other parent. It's going to suck either way
  • Large class size ~170
  • Need to keep a car for clinical rotations
  • Less emphasis on going abroad - it's there but harder to find. Sucks because I do really want to go abroad
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both schools are really good and will generally get you where you want to be, as far as I know. Location wise you would have to decide if being close to the one parent is emotionally taxing enough to be an issue. But being close to the other parent could be very comforting while you're going through med school. I'm also not sure how friendly New York is for people who like to do things outdoors. Michigan is definitely higher on that list. I think both places are evenly matched up for you and there's not a clear winner, so whichever place gives you more money with the lower total cost of attendance including living, will be the best option. And I'm sure if you went to Michigan and wanted to match back into the East Coast you wouldn't have any problems!

Reactions: 1 user
If costs are comparable I'd go to Michigan. Wouldn't read to much into rankings as they're one of the tip-top names clinically and a top name research wise. If Columbia gives you a great deal (like ~100k less), you'll need to decide how important outdoor access and avoiding the craziest city life in the US is to you

Members don't see this ad :)
If costs are comparable I'd go to Michigan. Wouldn't read to much into rankings as they're one of the tip-top names clinically and a top name research wise. If Columbia gives you a great deal (like ~100k less), you'll need to decide how important outdoor access and avoiding the craziest city life in the US is to you

Definitely valid and I appreciate the response! You’d say go to Michigan because of my hobbies or?

Spent time at U of M and Columbia over the years. Not sure what kind of outdoorsy stuff you can only do in A2. Either school is great. But if your goal is matching on East Coast, I would go with Columbia.

Spent time at U of M and Columbia over the years. Not sure what kind of outdoorsy stuff you can only do in A2. Either school is great. But if your goal is matching on East Coast, I would go with Columbia.

I guess I’m unsure where I’ll want to be in 4 years…Midwest or east coast

Columbia vs. UMich will not have any influence in your career prospects unless you are gunning to be residency PD at Columbia as both have incredibly strong, established alumni bases. You seem like a traditional applicant. Here are the pros/cons as I see them.

Michigan:

Pros:
-Close to home, familiar territory
-Early Clinical Introduction
-Better grading scheme (assuming clinicals are P/F given you wrote graded clinicals as a con for Columbia)

Cons:
-Close to home per your post.

Columbia:

Pros:
-New environment. New experiences. Opportunity for growth and to diversify your life experience as it seems like you're a Michigander.

Cons:
-Hustle/Bustle of NYC

Honestly, you'd do well at either and neither is a mistake. What I wanted to do is trim some of the fat in the pros/cons list. If it was me and my personality, I'd choose Michigan. I wouldn't split hairs in terms of the cost. From what you've said based on your calculations you're saying UMich might end up costing more which tells me the COAs are neck and neck. Also one important thing mentions is that if you have a predilection for the east coast or plan to travel there for residency, going to Columbia will give you an edge as they see you've lived there whereas people may see you've lived in Michigan and think otherwise (albeit that may be changing with the introduction of these new signalling/location choices involved in residency applications).

Both will get you wherever you want.

Living in NYC as a student without a trust fund is probably brutal so I would go Umich

Columbia vs. UMich will not have any influence in your career prospects unless you are gunning to be residency PD at Columbia as both have incredibly strong, established alumni bases. You seem like a traditional applicant. Here are the pros/cons as I see them.

Michigan:

Pros:
-Close to home, familiar territory
-Early Clinical Introduction
-Better grading scheme (assuming clinicals are P/F given you wrote graded clinicals as a con for Columbia)

Cons:
-Close to home per your post.

Columbia:

Pros:
-New environment. New experiences. Opportunity for growth and to diversify your life experience as it seems like you're a Michigander.

Cons:
-Hustle/Bustle of NYC

Honestly, you'd do well at either and neither is a mistake. What I wanted to do is trim some of the fat in the pros/cons list. If it was me and my personality, I'd choose Michigan. I wouldn't split hairs in terms of the cost. From what you've said based on your calculations you're saying UMich might end up costing more which tells me the COAs are neck and neck. Also one important thing mentions is that if you have a predilection for the east coast or plan to travel there for residency, going to Columbia will give you an edge as they see you've lived there whereas people may see you've lived in Michigan and think otherwise (albeit that may be changing with the introduction of these new signalling/location choices involved in residency applications).

This is great! Thank you!

I will say UMich is ~30k more per year in Cost of Attendance (total cost to me). 120k over 4 years is scary

I did live on the East coast for undergrad but not sure if residencies would consider this as “Ties.” Again, not sure if I’d like to go back to the east coast or stay in the Midwest for residency but I want to keep my options open.

Definitely valid and I appreciate the response! You’d say go to Michigan because of my hobbies or?
Hobbies, they have lots of top surgical programs that are also known for being somewhat human (for surgery), sounds like you aren't stoked on the city, and like Columbia they are good at pretty much everything they touch (lots of top grad programs etc... that collaborate with the med school). That all being said, Columbia is also amazing and 30k/year is nothing to sneeze at unless you really are anti-NYC. You should also be able to match well wherever out of there as long as you perform well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user