Columbia vs. BU International Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

publichealth06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input as to which school has a better international health program? I've been accepted to both (as well as Hopkins MHS in International Health, but ruled that out because I don't want an MHS). Now I'm trying to decide between Columbia and Boston. Any thoughts? Anyone been there or planning on going there?

Members don't see this ad.

publichealth06 said:
Anyone have any input as to which school has a better international health program? I've been accepted to both (as well as Hopkins MHS in International Health, but ruled that out because I don't want an MHS). Now I'm trying to decide between Columbia and Boston. Any thoughts? Anyone been there or planning on going there?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat with having to choose between schools. I honestly don't know which school, BU or CU, offers a better international health program, but you've got great options and I'm sure you'll be fine with whichever direction you ultimately choose to pursue. Will a MHS from Hopkins shortchange you in terms of seeking employment upon graduation? I know it as a 'specialized' MPH, but am unsure of what it will afford its holder.

publichealth06 said:

I attended BU for International Health, and I was quite impressed. The faculty stemmed from all walks of life and had such an array of experiences, national and international. I would highly recommend the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is slightly off-topic, I guess, but someone asked...

I know a couple of people doing the international health MHS at Hopkins. The schedule seems pretty grueling (4 8-week terms in the schoolyear) for first-year students, but they seem really happy with the faculty generally and with their advisors (though I imagine that depends a lot on the particular advisor you choose to work with).

The IH department seems strong in vaccines, nutrition, eye health, and child health, among other areas. I get the sense that the emphasis is about equally on research and practice, with a lot of research about practice (e.g. what are the most effective ways to implement programs)... There also seems to be a fair amount of collaboration between IH and other departments. There are a number of returned Peace Corps volunteers in the program, and lots and lots of international students, including many from developing countries, so they bring interesting perspectives and a lot of practical experience.

To address someone's questions, I have heard that in public health circles, an MHS from Hopkins is just as good as an MPH from other schools. People in the field seem to be aware of the inconsistency from school to school in what the equivalent degree is called. But I only know one recent graduate from that program (who got a job she liked!), so don't have a sense of relative ease of finding jobs. I get the sense that as long as you have graduated from a halfway decent* school, they care less about what the degree is called and more about what kind of experience you've had. That may be less true in business- and hospital-administration settings, where "MPH" is more recognizable (but then again, so is "Hopkins"). But in international health, most NGOs, etc., I don't think it's a big deal to have an MHS rather than an MPH. Just my impression.

Hope this helps.

* halfway-decent = not a degree-mill, and ideally, accredited or otherwise respected. Maybe a bonus point if it's a well-known program.

Thanks for the last post. That was really helpful. I also just had a conversation with a former professor at Hopkins, who taught there for 14 years. He said an MHS just means you've specialized more, whereas an MPH is considered a more general or generic degree. In many cases, an MHS can be even more valuable. But in the end he said that's all just semantics, and it's not so much about what the degree is, but where you got it, who you worked with, what papers you published, etc.

He also said the quarter system is very intense but also rewarding because you get more out of your degree.

The fact that Hopkins has the largest International Health program is both a pro and a con. On the plus side, you have access to over 100 full-time faculty and interact with so many intersting people. On the other hand, there are big class sizes and it may be harder to get to know your professor.

Now, my only question is about living in Baltimore! Better to live in New York City or Baltimore? Has anyone lived in Baltimore??