Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering about orientation week too, and when we will receive more info about the schedule and activities. Is the move-in day a pretty open day as far as activities go? I am not sure how early in the day I will get there. I may see about moving in a day early...I want time to stock my fridge, etc. so I don't waste a lot of money on eating out or eating fast food.

On another note, I read somewhere that some people bring air conditioners, and that for a "small fee" the university installs them for you. Sure August will be hot, but is an air conditioner a must-have in Bard, or more like a nice-to-have? Does anyone know about how much the fee to install the air conditioners are? Are air conditioners something that are also passed down (i.e. sold), like fridges, from second years to first years?
Do most students who buy things from other students, make arrangements before they arrive? Or do the second years advertise with flyers, etc. and wait until the first years are on campus?

I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost, or whether I should just suck up the heat for a month.

Any thoughts from folks who lived in Bard during August/Sept?

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing about the air conditioner, but then I decided against it, b/c by the second week of September you don't need an air conditioner in NYC. I think you may be able to survive with just a fan.

However, if you spent most of your life living in central air conditioning homes/apts, then maybe you do need it...It really depends on how tolerant you are of heat.

Members don't see this ad.

Some Bard Hall questions:

1) Do the sinks in Bard have a standard size spout? I wanted to know if I should bring one of those Brita filtration devices that attaches to a sink's cylindrical spout. Do I even need one of those filters? I know that NYC water is supposed to be great, but Bard Hall's old pipes might taint the water, which I intend to drink a lot of (when I'm not pounding coffee and energy drinks).

2) Is there overhead lighting in Bard? If so, is it bright enough to light up the room on its own?

I just received a letter that's assigning incoming students a summer reading book, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I haven't been given mandatory summer reading since middle school, but it looks like the book will be informative.

Do we need to buy our own bookcase if we live in Bard? Also, are curtains provided? If so, what color (I'm assuming blue)? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fun to listen in on the different things that go through people's minds when preparing for a move.

I have a question about taking classes at the morningside campus. According to the info on the orientation website, we can take up to two classes per semester at the morningside campus. I took a look at a class schedule for the medical curriculum, and it seems that we do not have classes before 9 am or after 5pm, with some free blocks (seems to vary by week) in the afternoon. Is that generally the case for the year?

Between the regular commute to the morningside campus (the time it takes) and the burden of our regular coursework, I wonder if it is really feasible. (for the average student, not a superstar with a photographic memory). I heard that the shuttle between the campuses runs sporadically, is this true? I looked at a shuttle schedule, and it seems to run often, but maybe in real life it doesn't stick to the schedule?

I thought about waiting a semester to see how I manage the regular courseload, but I am specifically interested in studying languages that may only be offered in a sequence, so I may miss out if I hold off on taking classes in the fall.

Have any of you, who attend columbia currently, taken additional classes during the regular school year? Did you regret taking the extra classes because of the time it took away from your med classes?

I figure that if students can find time to do research and join theater clubs and the like, then there should be enough time in the day, if I budget my time well. That said, I am a little concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot first semester by taking on too much. (sorry this is so long) Thanks.

okay so i will tackle as many of these as i can.

1) Do the sinks in Bard have a standard size spout? I wanted to know if I should bring one of those Brita filtration devices that attaches to a sink's cylindrical spout. Do I even need one of those filters? I know that NYC water is supposed to be great, but Bard Hall's old pipes might taint the water, which I intend to drink a lot of (when I'm not pounding coffee and energy drinks).

2) Is there overhead lighting in Bard? If so, is it bright enough to light up the room on its own?

I just received a letter that's assigning incoming students a summer reading book, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I haven't been given mandatory summer reading since middle school, but it looks like the book will be informative.

1) looks standard to me. the water is completely drinkable and tastes normal. i drink it regularly, but i also buy the big cases of bottled water for convenience.

2) there is overhead lighting, but it's ugly and i don't think anyone uses it. a standing lamp or two will give you warmer and better light.

Do we need to buy our own bookcase if we live in Bard? Also, are curtains provided? If so, what color (I'm assuming blue)? :p

they have bookcases. they'll pretty much provide you with any furniture you need, there's a ton in the basement.

It's fun to listen in on the different things that go through people's minds when preparing for a move.

I have a question about taking classes at the morningside campus. According to the info on the orientation website, we can take up to two classes per semester at the morningside campus. I took a look at a class schedule for the medical curriculum, and it seems that we do not have classes before 9 am or after 5pm, with some free blocks (seems to vary by week) in the afternoon. Is that generally the case for the year?

Between the regular commute to the morningside campus (the time it takes) and the burden of our regular coursework, I wonder if it is really feasible. (for the average student, not a superstar with a photographic memory). I heard that the shuttle between the campuses runs sporadically, is this true? I looked at a shuttle schedule, and it seems to run often, but maybe in real life it doesn't stick to the schedule?

I thought about waiting a semester to see how I manage the regular courseload, but I am specifically interested in studying languages that may only be offered in a sequence, so I may miss out if I hold off on taking classes in the fall.

Have any of you, who attend columbia currently, taken additional classes during the regular school year? Did you regret taking the extra classes because of the time it took away from your med classes?

I figure that if students can find time to do research and join theater clubs and the like, then there should be enough time in the day, if I budget my time well. That said, I am a little concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot first semester by taking on too much. (sorry this is so long) Thanks.

yeah the schedule is never more than 9-5, and rarely that long. afternoons are usually free. yes courses are offered, but i don't think anyone really takes them. free time is nice when you have a lot of work. the shuttle is usually on time and sticks to the schedule pretty well. it's my preferred method transport between the campuses because it's free, fast, and clean.

Yea seriously, like high school. Except now you actually have to read it and try to understand it. haha

"The Spirit Catches You" is a very good book though - I had to read it for one of my classes last fall. You'll get pulled into it and its a fast and enjoyable read IMO. :)

I'm a premed applying to Columbia. I have a question about this essay question:

.6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Does taking time off after graduation count as interrupted education, or does this refer ..only ..to interrupted undergrad education? Thanks!.

Yea seriously, like high school. Except now you actually have to read it and try to understand it. haha

not exactly true, you discuss it in a one hour session in CP. at least that's what we did. i know a lot of people that didn't read it and got through fine, not that i'm saying don't read it, it was a decent book, just don't focus on the details too much. they basically want you to read it as a book on cultural competency.

I'm a premed applying to Columbia. I have a question about this essay question:

.6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Does taking time off after graduation count as interrupted education, or does this refer ..only ..to interrupted undergrad education? Thanks!.

Taking time off after graduation counts as an interruption in your education, so I would include a brief description of what you have done since your graduation.

Has anyone figured out if we can move into Bard the weekend before the orientation week? If so, do we need to notify them or can we just show up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... good question. I have no answer to give you, but it reminded me that all of us early movers should plan something for that weekend. :thumbup:

Edit: Also, for people who are interested, we should get a group together and go to the US Open.

It may be ok to just show up, by why take the chance? I think that it is a good idea to call ahead and ask them if it is ok. They may need to have certain things handy (keys, paperwork, etc.) in their office for an early arrival, that they might otherwise have set up somewhere else for the big Monday move-in day. I told them that it would really help out if I could make the move over the weekend, rather than Monday, and they were really nice about it. They said that I just need to bring ID and a copy of my housing contract.

BTW: Badlydrawnvik, thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions.

Yes, the housing office typically accommodates students who would like to move in a day or two early. Since the cost of your Bard housing contract is determined by-the-day, you basically just end up paying for an extra day or two of housing (i.e. $45ish) if you want to move in early. You have to set it up through the housing office, but as a previous poster has mentioned, they are usually quite friendly and willing to help you figure everything out.

I strongly recommend moving in a day or two early if you can swing it. It is well worth the cost -- it is really nice to be able to focus on getting to know your classmates and NYC during orientation week rather than trying to get your room all settled.

Email the housing office to confirm, but I moved in last year on the Saturday before the official move-in and I am very glad I did.

-Ty

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

orientation team assignments are out!

vik - after seeing you post a lot on here, i was hoping to be in your group! oh well, i'm excited nonetheless!

orientation team assignments are out!

vik - after seeing you post a lot on here, i was hoping to be in your group! oh well, i'm excited nonetheless!
ha thanks, i appreciate it. all the orientation leaders are great and you'll have a lot of fun either way.

Hey guys,

I'm at Bard Hall now. For those planning to buy some furniture (lamps, rugs, etc) for your room in good ol' Bard (or the towers) I've used two great resources: upperclassmen who post lists of for sale items around the elevators and mailboxes and the IKEA store. There are two within an hour driving distance and their prices are great. You can also order online.

does anyone happen to know the specs for shipping boxes to bard?

more specifically:

1. maximum box dimensions?
2. # of boxes?
3. shipping address?
4. earliest date when boxes can be shipped?

thanks so much...

I suggest emailing the housing office at [email protected] or calling them at 212-304-7000 regarding the specifics of package receiving. The address at Bard is

50 Haven Ave.
Mailbox #__
NYC, NY 10032

Have a great day!

I emailed housing last week. I was told that boxes can be shipped as early as 2 weeks before the 20th. Also, for moving in early, keys will be available with the guard, you just have to show picture ID.

My two cents:

If you want to take extra classes, don't wait until the spring. The fall course load is the lighter of the two.

Yeah. I think that I'll give it a go. Thanks for your input. I didn't think about there being a difference in the amount of work between semesters.

how easy is it to find hand-me-downs (esp. fridge and microwave) when you get there? i want to get set up as quickly as possible so i want to pre-ship what i can, but i'd also prefer to buy used furniture/appliances if possible. what do you think ... can i count on finding used items pretty easily in bard?

thanks!

how easy is it to find hand-me-downs (esp. fridge and microwave) when you get there? i want to get set up as quickly as possible so i want to pre-ship what i can, but i'd also prefer to buy used furniture/appliances if possible. what do you think ... can i count on finding used items pretty easily in bard?

thanks!

If you're quick on the draw, you should be able to grab a fridge and microwave. They'll be there, but they tend to go relatively quickly. That's my experience, anyhow. There's a 'sell your stuff' webpage somewhere, but it isn't used nearly as much as the bulletin boards and elevators around Bard Hall.

If you're quick on the draw, you should be able to grab a fridge and microwave. They'll be there, but they tend to go relatively quickly. That's my experience, anyhow. There's a 'sell your stuff' webpage somewhere, but it isn't used nearly as much as the bulletin boards and elevators around Bard Hall.

Thanks, dbhvt. You've been really helpful on this thread. I look forward to hopefully meeting you in a few weeks!

Hey, does anybody know what textbooks we need? Should we buy them (or not buy them) online or from bookstore? Thanks~

yeah... any info on first yr text books/supplies would be really helpful. thanks!

yeah... any info on first yr text books/supplies would be really helpful. thanks!

Don't buy a bunch of books before you get here. There are piles and piles of resources and the biggest trick will be boiling it down. There should be a used book sale early enough on, as well as a survey of 2nd year students regarding how useful they found various resources.

A word of reassurance:
First year is relatively light, first semester is lighter, and the first month is the lightest. They do this on purpose to give you a chance to get adjusted to the whole medical school gig. Don't get behind in anatomy, but other than that the first month will be more a time to get to know your classmates than anything else (especially if you have any kind of background in cell biology). Vik, Ty, care to comment?

A word about anatomy:
Ernie April 1) loves breasts 2) wrote an anatomy review book years ago that just went out of print which he uses as his course syllabus. He's the anatomy course director. A few months ago I asked him what he was going to do about anatomy next year, and he said he'd continue distributing scanned pdf files of the textbook. It's a great review book -once you understand it, you've got the material down- but it is essentially incomprehensible on first pass. So, in addition to his book (which you will have access to online), most first years get an atlas (you can get a Netters for free if you join one of the medical student organizations), a reference text, and Grant's dissector. Grays anatomy for students was popular reference text. 2nd years will be looking to pawn this stuff off on you at the used book sale (if they didn't ritually burn it this past spring).

Thanks, dbhvt. You've been really helpful on this thread. I look forward to hopefully meeting you in a few weeks!

Thanks!

I'm actually going to be in your class. I had to disappear for a while second semester and decided to take the rest of the year off. Officially they don't break first year into semesters, so I'm starting with you in August.

i pretty much completely agree with dan. not that you guys should at all be thinking about books at this point, but the ONLY books worth owning are neuroanatomy, april's red book, netter, gray's, costanzo physiology, and maybe embryology. do not buy principles of neuroscience, it's too in depth and too expensive. you'll most definitely find all of these used. i think the only book i really want to hold onto is netter.

hi all,
i have a few questions about financial aid (i've never been on fin. aid, so bear with me :p) I'm slated for a stafford and perkins.

1) when do we sign our promissory notes? there's a 30-min slot during orientation for "promissory note signing" but there is also an SSOL link to sign our p-note. in the recently posted fin. aid info, it says that it takes up to 3 weeks to credit the funds to our accounts...will this be in time for our first payment?

2) what's the deal with the monthly TuitionPay program? i take it that it's optional. so how long do people have to pay their tuition if they're not on this program?

3) again, i'm new to this fin. aid deal. so, after I sent my "acceptance of fin. aid" in May, I haven't done a single thing. I have a feeling this ain't good. I'm not sure who my lender is, and I don't know where to go from here! If I start now, will I be in time to gain the funding I need?

thanks!

hi all,
i have a few questions about financial aid (i've never been on fin. aid, so bear with me :p) I'm slated for a stafford and perkins.

1) when do we sign our promissory notes? there's a 30-min slot during orientation for "promissory note signing" but there is also an SSOL link to sign our p-note. in the recently posted fin. aid info, it says that it takes up to 3 weeks to credit the funds to our accounts...will this be in time for our first payment?

2) what's the deal with the monthly TuitionPay program? i take it that it's optional. so how long do people have to pay their tuition if they're not on this program?

3) again, i'm new to this fin. aid deal. so, after I sent my "acceptance of fin. aid" in May, I haven't done a single thing. I have a feeling this ain't good. I'm not sure who my lender is, and I don't know where to go from here! If I start now, will I be in time to gain the funding I need?

thanks!

When you filed your acceptance of finaid form, you had to pick a lender for your stafford loans (you can select a "suggested" lender from the list they provide, or another lender...but I am not sure how it works with other lenders.) You have to apply for approval through that lender (can usually be done online), and then either electronically sign the master promissary note, or print one up and mail it (instructions should be on the lender website).

You can find your perkins promissary note if you follow the links for the online entrance interview. You can then print up the promissary note, sign it, and mail that in as well.

For other Columbia based loans, promissary notes are signed during our orientation week meeting.

But, before doing any of that, call the finaid office, and see what else needs to get done for your specific finaid package, and the deadlines that apply to each application/form.

Good luck.