Columbia SMP Worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindell12a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this who post-bac forum and I've been reading around to try to understand how everything works. I'm very much interested in the Columbia MS in Nutrition program -- however, I'm worried about whether I'd be able to get into the program.

My GPA is currently 2.78, which I know is terrible. Luckily, this semester it appears I'll have a 4.0...I'm not quite sure how much that will help me, but it's nice. Anyway, I know the apps for SMPs open up in January and I was wondering how difficult it is to get into the Columbia SMP. I know they accept either MCAT or GRE scores, so I was planning on taking the GREs in early January since the MCAT score I took back in July was terrible. I know I'll have to take the MCAT again to apply to medical school, but I was just wondering if I even have a shot of getting into the Columbia SMP with my terrible GPA.

If I have great recs and score well on the GREs, is there maybe a chance? Or should I just forget it? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Also, when you do an SMP, does it add onto your undergrad GPA? I'm just wondering because, if your undergrad GPA is really low...how much would an SMP help you? Would you have to do a post-bac to bring it up to a decent number and THEN do an SMP? Or can you just get a 4.0 in an SMP and have that look good to Medical Schools?

I'm so confused. :scared:

I think med schools will look at it seperately

Members don't see this ad :)
I think med schools will look at it seperately

Ohh, okay, that makes it better then :)

Anyone know the chances of getting into the Columbia program? I know the avg GPA is 3.4....but with a great GRE score do you think around a 2.8-2.9 GPA there would be a possibility?

The Columbia MS in nutrition is not a SMP, it's a real MS program.

The Columbia MS in nutrition is not a SMP, it's a real MS program.

Are you sure about that? I thought I had read in a sticky thread (the one where you rank your SMPs) someone wrote about the Columbia Nutrition one. It is a 12 month MS and it's geared towards those who want to pursue the medical fields in the future....

Are you sure about that? I thought I had read in a sticky thread (the one where you rank your SMPs) someone wrote about the Columbia Nutrition one. It is a 12 month MS and it's geared towards those who want to pursue the medical fields in the future....

SMP implies you're taking medical school classes with medical students, which is not the case with that program AFAIK.