Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me preface this post by saying I know and wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to wait until arrival on campus to pick up and buy books--especially given the prime deals on used texts during Orientation. However, my brother's girlfriend--a med student who has finished taking her Step 1--has given me nearly all of her 1st and 2nd year texts. An offer I just can't refuse... My question is, could I use the books she gave me, which are 1 or 2 editions old, or is it absolutely essential to have latest editions for certain texts/classes? I figure anatomy can't change *all* that much from edition to edition--just the layout and presentation of material...I just want to hear that I won't have to spend hundreds of dollars simply to buy newer editions.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the great deal turtle!

PLEASE: don't go out and buy new books. i also was lucky (or cursed--if you think about the pain of moving them all several times) to have many many books from a friend when i started med school, but was paranoid and in some cases bought new editions. DO NOT DO THIS (unless you find it absolutely essential with one or two books). by and large the new editions don't change much (though Taube Rothman was convinced that only the newer histo textbook would do-- i think she is retiring so you are in the clear). keep the slightly older ones, compare them with the new books on reserve in the library if you like and save yourself a ton of money.
if you do feel compelled to upgrade first look at the deals from 2008 and 2009 students and then look online (i got some great deals on half.com, amazon.com, etc) before shelling out a lot of cash.

good luck!

Turtle48 said:
Let me preface this post by saying I know and wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to wait until arrival on campus to pick up and buy books--especially given the prime deals on used texts during Orientation. However, my brother's girlfriend--a med student who has finished taking her Step 1--has given me nearly all of her 1st and 2nd year texts. An offer I just can't refuse... My question is, could I use the books she gave me, which are 1 or 2 editions old, or is it absolutely essential to have latest editions for certain texts/classes? I figure anatomy can't change *all* that much from edition to edition--just the layout and presentation of material...I just want to hear that I won't have to spend hundreds of dollars simply to buy newer editions.

Also, I don't know if you've heard this at orientation or if anyone has posted about it yet, but the student success network (run by the second-years... look for me as a histo instructor!) puts together a student panel during orientation that is really helpful as far as people's opinions as to how to tackle each class.

But the most helpful part of SSN (at least for me) was the list of texts required or recommended by each instructor for their respective classes... and then the "rating" for each book given by the rising second years. People rated which books were helpful, which were not, which they didn't even know existed for a class (haha), etc. I went by this list when I bought my books, and I think I was pretty well covered.

If they give this out for you guys at orientation, definitely snag a copy!

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me several hours to plow through this thread begining to end. I wish I would have found it sooner, then I wouldn't have bothered calling the admissions, housing, and medical service offices for every question I had. It's great to see so many people excited to start P&S this fall, and I thought I was alone :)

Can't wait to meet all of you in person :love:

RussianRocket said:
It took me several hours to plow through this thread begining to end. I wish I would have found it sooner, then I wouldn't have bothered calling the admissions, housing, and medical service offices for every question I had. It's great to see so many people excited to start P&S this fall, and I thought I was alone :)

Can't wait to meet all of you in person :love:

Hey, welcome to the thread and congrats on P&S! Are you actually from Russia? That would be a cool addition to the class.

Lemmiwinks said:
Hey, welcome to the thread and congrats on P&S! Are you actually from Russia? That would be a cool addition to the class.

I was born in Russia, but I've lived in the US since I was eight years old. But don't get too disappointed, I can still speak Russian.

I don't know if anyone here started to read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" but I found it is a really interesting book even though I generally dislike that kind of genre.

To anyone who will receive a Stafford Loan, who did you select as your lender and why??

ead said:
To anyone who will receive a Stafford Loan, who did you select as your lender and why??

I found that AccessGroup and Citi Bank were both good in terms of not charging fees, and were ranked well for their customer support. At first, I was going to go with CitiBank, but since I received the AccessGroup master promisory note application with my financial aid letter I just went with that one.

The finaid office recommends several lenders, and since they are so similar I think it won't make a big difference which lender you select.

ead said:
I had never heard of Access but I knew of Citigroup and it's big chunk of the financial market. Plus I know they do most of their loan tracking and stuff online.

BTW: my master promissary note still hasn't been received by the office though I sent it in months ago, anyone in the same boat?

Is anyone joining AMSA to get the Netter anatomy atlas for the price of membership? Is it worth it?

Personally, I never bought Netter but just used the Netter Flash Cards and found those extremely helpful. I used Rohen's atlas a lot because it uses actual cadavers in pointing out structures. It really depends on the way you learn. Don't buy Netter just because everyone else is doing it or because people claim it to be such a brilliant tome.

chyulu said:
Is anyone joining AMSA to get the Netter anatomy atlas for the price of membership? Is it worth it?

JulianCrane said:
Personally, I never bought Netter but just used the Netter Flash Cards and found those extremely helpful. I used Rohen's atlas a lot because it uses actual cadavers in pointing out structures. It really depends on the way you learn. Don't buy Netter just because everyone else is doing it or because people claim it to be such a brilliant tome.

I'm going to have to disagree here...I think everyone should have Netter, it's something you will reference for the rest of your medical career. Flashcards are OK. Convienent when you are on the subway or don't want to travel. I used Rohen's too. (I'll be selling mine :)).

AMSA is a great organization (can you tell that my roommates are next year's AMSA presidents??). I joined for the free Netter as well.

Bonnie

AMSA is a great way to get a "free" Netter, which you will probably want to have. the flashcards are nice (want to buy mine?), esp as Bonnie says, for the subway, etc. the other thing i used a lot (probably more than the actual text) was the Netter CD, which is a lot lighter than the text and allows you to search by term or region. there are copies floating around...if you cant find one perhaps i can help.
i don't know if they are Mac compatable though---probably if you have virtual PC, but i am not sure.

also i found using April's CD for the tutorial and questions to be useful (though the diagrams are typically horrible).

missbonnie said:
I'm going to have to disagree here...I think everyone should have Netter, it's something you will reference for the rest of your medical career. Flashcards are OK. Convienent when you are on the subway or don't want to travel. I used Rohen's too. (I'll be selling mine :)).

AMSA is a great organization (can you tell that my roommates are next year's AMSA presidents??). I joined for the free Netter as well.

Bonnie

Members don't see this ad :)
hey anyone here looking for off campus housing? if so pm me cause so am i.

PhotoMD said:
Do we need to get to Bard Hall by any special time on 8/22? Is there anything else orientation-wise that happens that day? I'm trying to book a flight. Thanks guys!

No. You are actually allowed to move in a few days early if you want, just call housing. Last yr, a lot of people moved in the Fri or Sat before.

Monday's events:

Move in/Welcome Reception 9am-12pm
BBQ on Bard Roof: around 5pm onwards
Nighttime Bowling

p.s. the tentative schedule and other cool info should be posted on the ps2008.com website by Tuesday. Another letter will be sent out later this week as well. please turn in your reservation forms on time or be left out! :)

-bonnie (yes the bonnie that sent you a letter in June)

did everyone do that first-year facebook? i just realized it's due on Friday. i gotta get moving on it. i think it's a pretty good idea. i thought it was funny that they were "requiring" us to give our AIM screenname. But I think it's a cool way to make a cohesive class.

i did the facebook thing.

a couple more questions. are we going to get more documentation to be filled out before school starts, cause im leaving for asia pretty soon and will not be near my mailbox for a month? also, when is our first tuition payment due?

thanks. look forward to seeing all of you soon.

raosen said:
i did the facebook thing.

a couple more questions. are we going to get more documentation to be filled out before school starts, cause im leaving for asia pretty soon and will not be near my mailbox for a month? also, when is our first tuition payment due?

thanks. look forward to seeing all of you soon.

i think there is a form for your white coat size.
and a fgorm for orientation. i should have it uploaded by sometime tomorrow, so you can just download it and mail it in.

bonnie

RussianRocket said:
The finaid office recommends several lenders, and since they are so similar I think it won't make a big difference which lender you select.

on the Stafford loan question (and other things), some points...

1. If you are paying any "origination" fees to your Stafford lender, you chose the wrong lender. AccessGroup and T.H.E (http://northstar.org/) are the most popular, I chose THE. The differences are minor and usually involve 1) customer service and 2) various incentives that kick in during repayment. You won't notice much difference during your time in school.

2. You can revise your Stafford loan amounts by faxing an acceptance page to the FinAid office:
http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/ACPTFRM3.PDF
It's due July 15, this Friday. I was able to readjust the Stafford numbers in August last year, but I suggest getting something in this week. (2008ers, this deadline goes for you too.)

3. Sometime in August the SSOL system (https://ssol.columbia.edu/) will have your "anticipated" charges so you can get a clear idea of exactly how much $$ you need to give Columbia. I suggest signing up for this system as soon as the computer people will allow and setting up direct deposit -- that way any extra Stafford money will go straight to your bank account.

Last year the first bill was due on 8/26/04 (the Thursday before the first day of class). Stipend checks, if you get those, were also distributed that day. You'll get email about this, usually in bright colors and with lots of bold text.

This year the M1 Fall bill should be about $22,473, and Spring is $19,400. (M2 bill is about the same.) Note the $3,073 discrepancy between the two! You will get the same amount of financial aid each term, so if you have just enough loan/grant money to cover the bill in Fall you'll get a $3,000 deposit in the Spring. Health Insurance+fees only appear in the Fall and cover you for the whole year.

This is just the bill, of course -- you'll get charged extra for housing (on the bill) and all sorts of random things (not on the bill.) Syllabus and P&S club fees don't go on the bill, and are handled on a check/cash basis.

5. The SSOL system is also important for tracking your Medical Holds -- you need to get your immunization stuff straightened out by the first week of class or so. Either show proof, get a titer test, or get another immunization. The Student Health people can take care of this, but you will need to pay a fee for the titer test or immunization. I suggest getting this all done under whatever insurance you've got now, before you show up on campus.

6. With all of this bureaucracy, you have one thing in your favor that you didn't in undergrad -- there are only about 150 of you coming in, not 1,500. So feel free to call Finaid (212) 305-4100 or Student Health (212) 305-3400 with your questions. Finaid is also pretty good about email ([email protected].)

of course, you can also ask any of us on SDN. :)

Hey, Is there a list of the books that we are going to need to buy for school posted anywhere? My friend owns a bookstore and I can get the books for really cheap (some free!), but i would need to order them now. Thanks.

did anyone else get nothing in columbia grants, ect?? All I got from fin aid was 20,000 in loans...the rest is up to me :(

Hi, I was wondering if I should purchase a new (lighter) laptop for school. I currently have a dell laptop, but it's on the heavy side (8.5 lb), and I would hate to lug it around all day. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a portable laptop is a worthwhile investment? Also does Columbia support macs as much as pcs or is one preferred over the other?

Thanks

RussianRocket said:
Hi, I was wondering if I should purchase a new (lighter) laptop for school. I currently have a dell laptop, but it's on the heavy side (8.5 lb), and I would hate to lug it around all day. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a portable laptop is a worthwhile investment? Also does Columbia support macs as much as pcs or is one preferred over the other?

Thanks

I don't even have a laptop. Is a laptop required?

Laptop-either PC or Mac, i love my powerbook g4! laptops not required but def. very handy if u dont study in your room, everything is online. You can get a one time computer loan , just ask fin aid and they will increase your loan. Apple usually has awesome deals like free ipod with laptop purchase.

Books - you will get a handout from SSN rating books. Some books are def. a necessity, others are fine just on reserve. The only books I'd say to def. get for sure is Kandel's PNS (but u can almost always buy it for real cheap from someone), Netter Atlas, and maybe Rohen's Atlas. Some like Sobotta's (spelling?) better than Netter. There is also a used book sale by the 2nd years early on. I would wait till then before buying any. I only spent like $250 on books my first yr...

apologies for all of these small question, but for those above us:

are there any ski trips that happen prior to winter break? that is, do i need to haul my snowboard to nyc from california when i come in august, or can it wait until after the new year?

thanks!

raosen said:
apologies for all of these small question, but for those above us:

are there any ski trips that happen prior to winter break? that is, do i need to haul my snowboard to nyc from california when i come in august, or can it wait until after the new year?

thanks!

Good question. Also, how far away are the nearest mountains from school? I recently sold my board because I figured I could buy a new one if it seems like I would get enough use out of it, but I thought that the mountains were pretty far away from nyc. I guess I could look at a map or something, but I'm SDN has made me lazy.

shambohh said:
My friend owns a bookstore and I can get the books for really cheap (some free!), but i would need to order them now. Thanks.
Can you hook a brotha up?

tedrik said:
Good question. Also, how far away are the nearest mountains from school? I recently sold my board because I figured I could buy a new one if it seems like I would get enough use out of it, but I thought that the mountains were pretty far away from nyc. I guess I could look at a map or something, but I'm SDN has made me lazy.

Traditionally, there is a class ski trip over MLK weekend in Jan. Slopes are close by in NJ (mediocre I hear but close), and good ones just a few hrs north.

-b

Hi everyone. Was anybody able to ascertain what exactly our dental plan is as students at P&S? Are we automatically covered with the required Chickering plan? Current students, what did you guys do for cleanings or any other required dental work?

We didn't have dental insurance last year, but it's an option this year for an extra $213 from Aetna.

If you try to search the web for health insurance info, keep in mind that the Columbia undergraduate student health system is distinct from the Health Sciences system and has different benefits.

The Dental School (SDOS) offers a "Student Optional Plan" with the "Columbia Dental Associates" program where you pay a $150 annual fee and you can get seen by the SDOS post-graduate fellows.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ps/affairs/studentdental.html

There is also a "Morningside Dental Associates" (for undergrads) and "Columbia Dental Plan Plus" (for CUMC employees) but these don't count for us.

Here's some more details on both plans and health care in general from an email we got in May:

As the 2004/05 academic year draws to a close, I would like to remind
all students about the status of their student health insurance
coverage. For those students who will be leaving the institution, the
coverage period for their health insurance ends on August 16, 2005 at
11:59 p.m..

For students who will be continuing their student status at Columbia,
the new coverage period begins August 17, 2005 and continues through
August 16, 2006.

Based upon recommendations from the Student Advisory Committee, the
health insurance benefits have been expanded to include:

a) elimination of co-payments for all diagnostic and ancillary procedures;
b) one eye exam annually.

Additional, more detailed information regarding the benefit package will
be sent to each student.

Increasing health care costs are a national problem and we are working
hard to keep costs as low as possible and to provide as much value to
you as possible. During this year, we have had students complain that
the cost of dependent coverage is high. Due to the efficiencies within
the Student Health Service and due to a favorable New York State tax
ruling, we were able to limit the increase in student health insurance
fees to 2.35% and we were able to reduce the premiums for spouses and
dependents by 20.7%. The following table illustrates the new premium.

2004/05 2005/06
Student $1869 $1913
Spouse $3670 $2910
Child/children $2816 $2233

Based upon a number of concerns expressed by the student advisory
Committee, I am also pleased to inform you that an additional option
will be available for dental coverage. Currently, students may elect to
participate in the Columbia Dental Associates Student Dental Plan. This
optional plan provides coverage for semi-annual examinations, X-rays and
prophylaxis and a 25% discount from fees for all services not covered.
The cost of this program is $150.

Additionally, Aetna is offering the Advantage Dental Care Plan to CUMC
students. Benefits include cleaning and oral exams semi-annually,
X-rays, fluoride treatment, sealants, fillings, scaling and root
planing, simple extractions and emergency treatment. The cost of this
plan is $213.

The Student Health Service will be open for summer hours beginning May
31, 2005. Summer hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday, Wednesday and
Friday, and 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday. Student Health
is closed from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday for staff
development.
Call 212.305.3400 for an appointment.

Ok, I know this topic has been beaten to death on SDN, mostly by non-P&S students. So I'd like to ask the current P&S students to explain what is really going on with Columbia's LCME accreditation, and how does it affect the current and future students. I haven't been able to find any really pertinent information online, besides what's posted on SDN, so direction to any resources will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

so i was just wondering, is anyone else nervous about P&S orientation? they are always so awkward for me. i feel like everyone else knows each other already, and i'm the odd one out.

maybe it's just me :scared:

Lemmiwinks said:
so i was just wondering, is anyone else nervous about P&S orientation? they are always so awkward for me. i feel like everyone else knows each other already, and i'm the odd one out.

yea i definitely empathize. if it makes you feel any better, you won't feel like the only odd one out.

Lemmiwinks said:

I'm very, very excited about it. Everyone is in the same boat, and everyone has something to be afraid of. I, for instance, wasn't admitted until after the 2nd look day, so I don't know anyone at all at the school. But I'm seeing orientation as an opportunity to meet the people that I'm spending the next four years with. And everyone is here for the same reason: to learn medicine at a top school!

I think it will be so great to be with so many like-minded people. You'll do great, and we'll all have an amazing time. Go 2009!

I'm very excited for the orientation. I don't know anybody going to Columbia and I don't even know anyone on the East Coast that well, but it looks like we're going to be too busy to get bored by ourselves.

How about everyone from SDN wears a red hat or something during orientation so we can at least feel like we have some friends there.

Can't wait to meet you guys!

Hey Tedrik, I don't have a red hat, but I can wear a red shirt for SDN camraderie. Hey Lemmiwinks--I think it's normal to have the jitters about starting and Orientation for one reason or another. But as PhotoMD says, it'll be a great time; I'm sure of it. I, for one, want to take lots of pictures so I can remember it in four years!

..and PJM, thanks so much for the dental info you posted! It was a big help and kind of you to post. We also got a small pamphlet in the mail soon after your post with a dental insurance form. So all is taken care of on the dental front.

hey guys, i'm really excited too :) i was wondering what anyone who has lived in bard previously thinks about having a full sized bed instead of the twin. is it doable? would it take up too much space?

I definitely feel better now. Everyone here seems like they are going to be a lot of fun. I think we should make an effort to have a great time and be cool to everyone we meet. It would be great if we were known as a really cohesive, supportive class!

As for the twin/full bed, I think I'm going to try the twin for a couple weeks and see how it works out. Maybe change to a full size then. It's going to suck going back to a twin from a queen though.

I've only seen the inside of a Bard room once and I don't remember the size too well. I'm just afraid of buying a huge bed and then being left with 2 feet of space between the bed and the desk. :laugh:

Awww . . .I remember orientation from last year, and it was definitely a lot of fun. If you're in my orientation group this year, you'll have a blast! I'm selling some essentials for Bard (microwave, hot plate, fridge, etc), so if any of you need them, just PM me and we can talk.

Hey, does anyone have any input for banking around P&S? I know my local bank won't cut it, so I'm going to need a new account. Some of the info we've received says that Chase is the most readily available bank in the area, but they only have free checking if you've got direct deposit. Otherwise, there's a $1,500 minimum account balance ($3,000 if you're trying to earn interest). Here's a comparison chart

I'm usually scraping the bottom with my account balances so I was wondering what most students choose to do and what other options there are. Thanks!

eriol said:
Hey, does anyone have any input for banking around P&S? I know my local bank won't cut it, so I'm going to need a new account. Some of the info we've received says that Chase is the most readily available bank in the area, but they only have free checking if you've got direct deposit. Otherwise, there's a $1,500 minimum account balance ($3,000 if you're trying to earn interest). Here's a comparison chart

I'm usually scraping the bottom with my account balances so I was wondering what most students choose to do and what other options there are. Thanks!

citibank, no fees if ur a student. been with them since college.

p.s. get your reservation forms in!! if you havent receieved it in the mail yet, download it from the Orientation 2009 website, get there via ps2008.com

Email or PM me with any questions re: Orientation
bonnie

eriol said:

I have Chase. I like it a lot. There are a bunch of ATMs in the hospital, and you can use the Citibank ATM in Tower 1 lobby without any fees. Plus -- every Duane Reade now has a Chase ATM in it!

You can bypass the f"ree checking only with direct deposit" by going to the *hospital* Chase branch. There, if you prove you're a student, you automatically get free checking.

Do people usually bring guests to the white coat ceremony?

Yes, family and siblings usually.

bubblebutt said:
Do people usually bring guests to the white coat ceremony?

What do the rooms in Bard contain? Is there a desk? a microwave? a mini-fridge?

pynkpep said:
What do the rooms in Bard contain? Is there a desk? a microwave? a mini-fridge?

It's standard dorm room fare . . desk, dresser, uncomfortable bed, dresser. The rest is up to you.

leaveone said:
hey guys, i'm really excited too :) i was wondering what anyone who has lived in bard previously thinks about having a full sized bed instead of the twin. is it doable? would it take up too much space?

Since this seemed to slip by earlier: There is definently room in Bard for a full size bed and i'd highly recommend looking into something else to sleep on besides the provided mattress or at least bringing a thick foam pad with you in Aug. (Imagine, if you will, the springs of a mattress, with a sheet stretched over them :thumbdown: Hence, i have ordered something soft and fluffy to sleep on.)

Oak said:
(Imagine, if you will, the springs of a mattress, with a sheet stretched over them :thumbdown: Hence, i have ordered something soft and fluffy to sleep on.)

Many people in my 2008 class disliked the original beds and "upgraded". (you can hide the original mattress somewhere, just remember to bring it back once you leave Bard.)

Myself, I liked the original bed setup. I had the standard twin-XL bed with mattress and a sheet of plywood between the cot (springs) and mattress. I put a slightly fluffy mattress cover on and it worked fine. Also, I was so tired during M1 year that I wasn't that picky. :)

I do recommend some sort of air circulation; my room had an air conditioning unit when I got there. (AC is a pain to install and uninstall, so some people leave them behind, and Housing doesn't touch them.) Even in winter, running the fan was a great white noise generator and air mover.