Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm, they couldn't find my UNI...

what size are the beds in bard? normal twin or extra long?

Members don't see this ad.

DelAGator said:
Is Columbia like Stanford? Does the FA consider you an independent after age 30?

Sadly, no. They consider you independent at 35. It's very, very lame.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of all things holy, bring your own bed if you can!

sorry--perhaps instead of looking up your uni first you should just try to activate the account. maybe they can't find it because it's not active? anyone else know?

as for the bed--sarah's comment is sad but true. first thing i did when i moved my stuff in was to trash that nappy matress and pathetic frame. craigslist is one way to find cheap beds in manhattan, or bring your own if you can.

aprilshyla said:

what size are the beds in bard? normal twin or extra long?

Oh Sarah . . . :) (And yes, she's right!)

If you bring your own bed, then what do you do with the old one? You can't just throw it away, right? because I'm assuming everything they put in the room as to be there when you check out/when your contract ends? If you throw away their bed, then you'll be charged for a bed when you check out, right?

Also, will a full size bed fit in those rooms?

Lastly, while we're on the subject of rooms in Bard, are the closets big or tiny? Can someone give an estimate on how big the closet space is (2 ft? 5 ft?)

hey kids.

i just read the posts about whether wash heights is safe or not.
well now that i have experienced being in a 3rd world country (in Guatemala), ANY place in NYC seems like heaven.

but i do think it can seem scary if you have never lived in NYC before.

i would say that at night (like after 11pm), you probably should not walk alone in a side street, just walk on 168th back to bard or towers.

going back home after mroning side at night after the last shuttle is no problem , just take the subway home, its safe.

bonnie

Turtle48 said:
If you bring your own bed, then what do you do with the old one? You can't just throw it away, right? because I'm assuming everything they put in the room as to be there when you check out/when your contract ends? If you throw away their bed, then you'll be charged for a bed when you check out, right?

Also, will a full size bed fit in those rooms?

Lastly, while we're on the subject of rooms in Bard, are the closets big or tiny? Can someone give an estimate on how big the closet space is (2 ft? 5 ft?)

Closets are not big, whether you're given a wardrobe or have an actual closen in your room. I'd say 2 feet by 4 or 5 feet. IDK exactly.

You put your old bed (the one that came with the room) in the hallway and the maintenance workers come and get them. It's fine. They're still in Bard's possession.

aprilshyla said:
click on the create new account link and go from there

The Remix said:
click on the create new account link and go from there

Did that work for you? Were you able to obtain a UNI and a functioning email account?

I tried but it says "processing request" and then I get a blank screen.

Turtle48 said:
Did that work for you? Were you able to obtain a UNI and a functioning email account?

I tried but it says "processing request" and then I get a blank screen.
it did work, actually. i'm tdb2101@columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
aprilshyla said:
sweet! it worked for me too. :D

hmm, still doesn't work for me. Guess I should just be patient until they bother putting my name into the system :rolleyes:

I'm still wondering about the whole bed thing -- I'd have to get a new one as the one I have here now is pretty old. Do most people get their own? Do they keep them when they move to the Towers/elsewhere? How about any other major furnishings, like desks/deskchairs/lighting/etc?

Also, will full size beds fit in the rooms at bard? It seems most of the rooms are 11x13, but since I don't know how much other furniture we are given (desk, drawers?), I'm not sure if a full will fit. Do any of you current students know if anyone had a full size bed in bard last year?

Turtle48 said:
Also, will full size beds fit in the rooms at bard? It seems most of the rooms are 11x13, but since I don't know how much other furniture we are given (desk, drawers?), I'm not sure if a full will fit. Do any of you current students know if anyone had a full size bed in bard last year?

I had a full size bed in my room. And I don't regret it for a second!

I got my room assignment today.

Any more commentary on the quality of the provided room furnishings (desk/chair/lights/etc) from those who've lived in Bard? What do people generally end up finding they need to provide themselves? Do many find they need AC or a heater? Thanks!

eriol said:
I got my room assignment today.

Any more commentary on the quality of the provided room furnishings (desk/chair/lights/etc) from those who've lived in Bard? What do people generally end up finding they need to provide themselves? Do many find they need AC or a heater? Thanks!

AC is a good thing to have, or at least a fan. You really really won't need a heater. The bard heaters are ridiculously overactive (and if you try to turn them off, they'll keep you up at night with their incessant clanging!)

SarahGM said:
AC is a good thing to have, or at least a fan. You really really won't need a heater. The bard heaters are ridiculously overactive (and if you try to turn them off, they'll keep you up at night with their incessant clanging!)

Do people normally get the AC that needs to be installed into the window? Or do they get the portable AC?

Bard Housing will install the AC for you for like $20. They say get something no more powerful than 5000BTU, but anything slightly over that is just fine.

bubblebutt said:
Do people normally get the AC that needs to be installed into the window? Or do they get the portable AC?

As far as I know they're one and the same... the only air conditioners I've seen go in the window... You have to exchange the air from a cool place to a warm place.

Most people buy and have them installed through Bard maintenance.

SarahGM said:
As far as I know they're one and the same... the only air conditioners I've seen go in the window... You have to exchange the air from a cool place to a warm place.

Most people buy and have them installed through Bard maintenance.

Thanks! My tour guide had this small AC that he put on the floor that didn't need to be installed into the window. There's a small tube that you stick out the window to move the hot air out. I didn't know if that was popular or not.

bubblebutt said:
Thanks! My tour guide had this small AC that he put on the floor that didn't need to be installed into the window. There's a small tube that you stick out the window to move the hot air out. I didn't know if that was popular or not.

Oops, sorry! Never saw those. :)

SarahGM said:
Oops, sorry! Never saw those. :)
sounds like something from a late night infomercial

CRAP! I just realized that my room is on an all male floor although I specifically requested a coed one in my housing application! Now I'm worried that I may have issues when the gf comes to visit. I'd really appreciate it if any current students could weigh in on how strict the anti-coed policy is. If female visitors aren't allowed, then i'm not sure i'll be accepting my housing contract.

Also, does anyone out there know if the all male floor (7) is populated by students who requested this option, or simply a by-product of female students making this choice?

Ugh, just when i'd gotten over not having a sink in the room I find out about this.

Oak said:
CRAP! I just realized that my room is on an all male floor although I specifically requested a coed one in my housing application! Now I'm worried that I may have issues when the gf comes to visit. I'd really appreciate it if any current students could weigh in on how strict the anti-coed policy is. If female visitors aren't allowed, then i'm not sure i'll be accepting my housing contract.

Also, does anyone out there know if the all male floor (7) is populated by students who requested this option, or simply a by-product of female students making this choice?

Ugh, just when i'd gotten over not having a sink in the room I find out about this.

Don't worry! Your girlfriend can stay in your room with you! But I'd venture to say that out of respect for your hallmates, many of whom prolly DID request to live on that floor, she should go to the 6th or 8th floor to use the bathroom and shower.

SarahGM said:
Don't worry! Your girlfriend can stay in your room with you! But I'd venture to say that out of respect for your hallmates, many of whom prolly DID request to live on that floor, she should go to the 6th or 8th floor to use the bathroom and shower.

Thanks. I'd already kinda figured that the bathroom thing would have to work that way. I suppose i'll call housing about it to find out what the visitor procedures are anyway.

Oak said:
Thanks. I'd already kinda figured that the bathroom thing would have to work that way. I suppose i'll call housing about it to find out what the visitor procedures are anyway.

i'll be in room 910. streetview, but with a sink at least. and that deposit, which came as a surprise, has now left me almost broke :mad:. oh student loans, please come in soon, heheh. oh well, i'm still reaaaaally excited. :D

aprilshyla said:
i'll be in room 910. streetview, but with a sink at least. and that deposit, which came as a surprise, has now left me almost broke :mad:. oh student loans, please come in soon, heheh. oh well, i'm still reaaaaally excited. :D

Yeah, I like how they gave us (me at least) a whole 4 days to come up with $300 - goodbye graduation money. Thank god my stipend starts soon :D . I'm getting excited about going too, although my summer rotation is approaching WAY too fast.

Oak said:
Yeah, I like how they gave us (me at least) a whole 4 days to come up with $300 - goodbye graduation money. Thank god my stipend starts soon :D . I'm getting excited about going too, although my summer rotation is approaching WAY too fast.

Summer rotation for July?? You're going to make bank for just a few weeks of work and you're still complaining about the 300 bucks?????

You're right about the short notice on the deposit though, not to mention the fact that we have to pay extra to avoid using the USPS. I'm getting waay excited too, glad you decided on Columbia!!

Was there a deadline on when to send in the housing stuff? When was/is the deadline and where does it say it??

Anyone else not see a deadline?

The deadline (today) was on the very bottom of the contract. The date was probably the same for everyone. If you didn't send in your deposit, you may want to call the housing office ASAP and let them know that you do want to accept your contract. I think that 4 days is a bit short for them to expect people to sign that contract and send it back, so they shouldn't be that strict.

good luck!

tedrik said:
The deadline (today) was on the very bottom of the contract. The date was probably the same for everyone. If you didn't send in your deposit, you may want to call the housing office ASAP and let them know that you do want to accept your contract. I think that 4 days is a bit short for them to expect people to sign that contract and send it back, so they shouldn't be that strict.

good luck!

Thanks tedrik. Yeah, the line where they were supposed to write the due date was and is completely blank for my contract, that's why I was caught by surprise by all this talk about deadlines on the contract. Hopefully, they won't be too strict, esp. with mine since I had no indication of a deadline.

Turtle48 said:
Thanks tedrik. Yeah, the line where they were supposed to write the due date was and is completely blank for my contract, that's why I was caught by surprise by all this talk about deadlines on the contract. Hopefully, they won't be too strict, esp. with mine since I had no indication of a deadline.

np, I owed you one for filling me in on the immunizations and physical that we need to have done. As you can tell (and thanks to you), I started paying closer attention to the things they send me :)

tedrik said:
Summer rotation for July?? You're going to make bank for just a few weeks of work and you're still complaining about the 300 bucks?????

You're right about the short notice on the deposit though, not to mention the fact that we have to pay extra to avoid using the USPS. I'm getting waay excited too, glad you decided on Columbia!!

My deadline was the 26th.

Anyway, i'm complaining about the 300 'cause until i start, i'm just going deeper into debt. But a 6 week rotation does provide a pretty sweet work/stipend ratio. I take it you're not doing one - I'm sure i'll see you in august then!

Oak said:
My deadline was the 26th.

Anyway, i'm complaining about the 300 'cause until i start, i'm just going deeper into debt. But a 6 week rotation does provide a pretty sweet work/stipend ratio. I take it you're not doing one - I'm sure i'll see you in august then!

No rotation for me, I have a lease that goes until the end of July. I'm pretty jealous of you though, six weeks for a rotation...awesome!

I called the housing office. They sent the housing contract out late, so they told me to get it in as soon as possible. So, my impression is that we do not need to strictly observe the deadline.

USPS Certified is ok right??? is the 9th floor women only?

Murphy525 said:
I called the housing office. They sent the housing contract out late, so they told me to get it in as soon as possible. So, my impression is that we do not need to strictly observe the deadline.

OntheRoof55 said:
USPS Certified is ok right??? is the 9th floor women only?

Both the 4th and 9th Floors are women only. The 7th floor is male only.

JulianCrane said:
Both the 4th and 9th Floors are women only. The 7th floor is male only.

oh weird, didn't realize i was on an all-women floor. guess whenever the bf visits his showers will be downstairs, heheh.

OntheRoof55 said:
USPS Certified is ok right???

As far as I know it is. They just said not to use the normal USPS. I asked a courier what the difference was if the mail was "certified" and he said it was just more expensive.

Very funny huh... :mad:

i've got a question for those that have lived in bard before...on the coed floors...are the bathrooms also coed, or is there one bathroom for guys and one for the gals?

leaveone said:
i've got a question for those that have lived in bard before...on the coed floors...are the bathrooms also coed, or is there one bathroom for guys and one for the gals?

Think Ally McBeal . . . they are very much co-ed.

Hi everyone,

I was about to spend $250+ for MS Office when I came across this section of Columbia's website.

http://www.cubhis.org/IC/support_center/resnet.html

There's a bunch of software (Microsoft XP, Office, Norton/Symantec Anti-virus, etc.) you can download for free once you get your UNI set up.

Just a heads-up!

Karl Hungus said:
Hi everyone,

I was about to spend $250+ for MS Office when I came across this section of Columbia's website.

http://www.cubhis.org/IC/support_center/resnet.html

There's a bunch of software (Microsoft XP, Office, Norton/Symantec Anti-virus, etc.) you can download for free once you get your UNI set up.

Just a heads-up!

"how are they gonna keep her down at the farm now that she's seen karl hungus?"

sorry just had to. :D i :love: big lebowski.

SarahGM said:
But I'd venture to say that out of respect for your hallmates, many of whom prolly DID request to live on that floor, she should go to the 6th or 8th floor to use the bathroom and shower.

People requested the all-male floor? I think I just got stuck there. Is that typically a hall of...umm...a *different* kind of student?

In other words, is floor 7 as fun and social as the rest?

Lemmiwinks said:
People requested the all-male floor? I think I just got stuck there. Is that typically a hall of...umm...a *different* kind of student?

In other words, is floor 7 as fun and social as the rest?

I'm sure it will be fine. Even if those who request floor 7 are "*different*" and, in some unlikely and unforseeable way, socially incompatible with other students, there are bound to be a few of us who were put there against our requests. (I know of 3 now including yourself)

Oak said:
I'm sure it will be fine. Even if those who request floor 7 are "*different*" and, in some unlikely and unforseeable way, socially incompatible with other students, there are bound to be a few of us who were put there against our requests. (I know of 3 now including yourself)

Nothing to worry about fellas! Party on Floor 3 :D

Do I have any floormates here??

This may seem like an odd question, but is there any sort of medicine cabinet/mirror above the sinks in Bard? or any towel holders near the sinks? My old dorm also had a sink and the sink had a medicine cabinet, which was terribly helpful in storing little things.

Turtle48 said:
This may seem like an odd question, but is there any sort of medicine cabinet/mirror above the sinks in Bard? or any towel holders near the sinks? My old dorm also had a sink and the sink had a medicine cabinet, which was terribly helpful in storing little things.

Yes, the room I have currently has a sink with towel holder and medicine cabinet.